Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Met with ToTellTheTruth yesterday

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

He came back to Tucson from his stint with the Trump administration post in California. He has some real interesting updates to post regarding the Omega High Relief $20 counterfeits.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

aquí vamos de nuevo...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is he suntanned?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do tell. I can handle the truth! :)

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's gone Hollywood.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2019 9:21AM

@EagleEye said:
    He's gone Hollywood.

I'm not surprised with a story like that. It's made for Hollywood.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2019 9:25AM

@EagleEye said:
    He's gone Hollywood.

I hope they commission @dcarr to make some movie coins!

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2019 12:20PM

can't wait to see the story of the Omega Cartel on the big screen.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totellthetruth....Welcome back.... I hope to hear more about the 'Omega' story.... and certainly look forward to the film being produced. Keep us posted.... I enjoyed the previous posts when you were here...as a matter of fact, I have a file of those discussions. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is interesting!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the threads. When I saw this one, I checked the thread date to see if it was April 1. B)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

This all just popped up out of nowhere. Talk about a grand entrance!

The old thread caused volcanic upheavals that still resonate today.

Don't get too comfy with all this. Everyone "Heather" behave. Real Hollywood stuff sometimes ends up on the cutting room floor.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    totellthetruthtotellthetruth Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Wow...jwitten, you have no idea what that means to me. My brother and I both lamented how much we wished we had one and we just missed one sold by Good Old Tom's in Tucson by about a week. Went for price of gold plus $200. Glad I inspired you to get one and hope you enjoy it and the story where it came from.
    The filming for my Zodiac work is done and edited. It will be released in approximately 30 days. The wrap was to add alittle and correct some audio. I forgot to get discuss the name of the film as I have a say in it. The working title was "The Man who Solved the Zodiac Murders". I prefer "The Artwork of the Zodiac Killer" as that is what I discovered.
    By the way, my brother was as involved as much as I was and he was stunned, yet quite pleased that I told the story. If some one has the thread, he would love to read it. I have told the story so many times over my life, I can't remember who I told what, but he added something unrelated to Omega, but some of you may find quite interesting. If not I will not add anymore.
    If you recall, I talked about Bonanno's autographed photos all over a wall for everyone to see. I recall telling you about the one of George Washington thanking Bonanno saying he couldn't have done it without him and all his hard rowing. That one really got the arrows flying, but my brother added something I had forgotten. In the mid 70's, there was something on tv about JFK. We were with Bonnano and he told us that he knew who killed him and where the plan hatched and where the dress rehearsal testing took place. I am not going to say more unless the forum wants it, but...…..an article was written and posted in Playboy magazine years ago. An FBI agent made a claim and gave insider info as to who dunnit. It involves a white station wagon with Az plates and a Goldwater bumper sticker parked behind the grassy knoll.
    I know how good you guys are at finding stuff, so if someone finds the article and posts how to read it, I will elaborate. I will tell you it is dead nuts accurate as to what Bonnano told us in about 75. Naturally, I got the good details that they didn't have. Did I tell u guys about this or not? My Al Hammers disease has been kicking in lately.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

And of course "truth is stranger than fiction"
    Welcome back! Any idea or talk if it will be picked up by any network or possibly netflix?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totellthetruth said:

By the way, my brother was as involved as much as I was and he was stunned, yet quite pleased that I told the story. If some one has the thread, he would love to read it.

@totellthetruth

The initial thread was saved by @jmlanzaf

http://www.chemgod.com/ebay3/I actually do have some information on the Omega Man.pdf

This the subsequent (second) thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/993861/omega-counterfeit-mcmvii-summary-wanted/p1

And, I presume this thread is the third.

• Options

Thank you....just read new posting rules.....darn they are hard! My comments about JFK should be allowed as his head is all over a bunch of coins B)

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    He came back to Tucson from his stint with the Trump administration post in California. He has some real interesting updates to post regarding the Omega High Relief $20 counterfeits.

Probably got that windmill cancer. Lulz

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to catch up on these threads- btw, cough, cough, I was an extra in a Harrison Ford movie, Air force One, cough, ahhm. Darn cold. Need any good looking coin collector dudes for that movie? Cough, aak.. ;)

• Options

I did have a very interesting incident during my training. All newly hired Federal Law Enforcement Officers must go thru a course down in Glynco, Georgia before their 2 month mark of employment. The students are CIA,FBI, Secret Service, etc, etc. You live at the facility in a apartment /dormitory like building and your weekends are yours. I was eating lunch and watching tv one weekend with others including a young secret service agent. I did not converse with him, but his parents showed up to visit and his dad was retired Secret Service and was in currency counterfeiting detail his entire career. Now here I am with my Bonanno story and I was dying to say something, but I was worried it might raise a flag or anything that might cause a problem with my job or the course. Out of the blue, a commercial came on for a 24 karat gold buffalo nickel by a private mint and was selling for about 29 dollars. They claimed it was an exact high quality minted reproduction etc. I am sure that most of you have seen these commercials. By the way it includes a "Certificate of Authenticity". So a few of us started laughing and making comments as we had this prominent guest. I finally got the nerve to ask him how they were able to mint such a "perfect coin" and I asked if they had the actual buffalo nickel die. He said no but said the minting was quite good on some of these types of coins as they laser map an actual proof coin and then computer laser cut the die for pressing. I then asked him how they might have done this prior to these laser mappers and cutters like back in the 70's. His answer was somethin you have heard before. He described the process of a sculptor artist carving a block of chalk about the size of a small pizza and then a reduction/reproducer machine was used to map the chalk sculpture and then carve the die. To make a die from a coin, they had machines that could be reversed with special attachments to map the coin and carve the chalk plate or they could just buy a enlargement /reproducer machine in the first place. Hmmmmm, now where did we hear that before?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all good fun, but 3 days too late, I think. :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to say nothing and just wait for the movie.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm going to say nothing and not wait for the movie.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm going to say nothing and not wait for the movie.

Oh c'mon, even if the story is fiction, it could be a great movie. Who doesn't love a lovable mobster and a gold scam?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

They just can't use "The Omega Man." That one's taken.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Yes, I believe that I was the one who suggested a movie in the original thread. The many details that TTTT provided, like the reverse use of the reduction lathe, made the story quite compelling, even to a non numismatist. I'm glad to see these plans going forward.

When and where might we see the Zodiac film? I wasn't particularly impressed with the ZNN link but you got my interest and I'd like to see what else you have to say.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    They just can't use "The Omega Man." That one's taken.

Twice!

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to ask TTT about something :smile:

I'm wondering, since this took place in Arizona,
    are you aware of any connection with Mickey Cohen,
    who was a gangster in the L.A. area.

I know it's a stretch, but just wondered if the
    people he knew and came in contact with, had
    any connection in the Omega situation, or any
    other 'mob' situation, with Mickey Cohen.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

F.W. good question. JB came to Tucson in the early 40's with his life and somewhere around 40 million plus dollars in cash. He brought the top people of his outfit with him. He was done, retired, out of business with organized crime. Unfortunately, some of his men could not accept this position and continued to partake in their old ways of making a living. Bonanno was now more of a mother hen to these people and it was a mess. The last thing he wanted was to get arrested because these men could not behave. My father used to tell us that "YOU CAN TAKE THE MAN OUT OF THE MOB, BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE THE MOB OUT OF THE MAN". It is all JB complained about at dinner. Charlie "Batts" Bataglia was the worst. He was a top loyal officer and was incorrigible. He was a psychopath and he battled JB and he would lose and be bitter. Eventually he was ostracized but that took a long time as his prior deeds done for JB were legendary. Battaglia had a brother, forgot his name, who was prominent in LA mob. Don't know his relationship with Cohen. Batts would set up crimes in Tucson and then bring his brother in to commit the crimes. Batts would plead ignorance and claim he was not part of these crimes. This is one of the reasons FBI agent David Hale, who was part of the LA syndicate investigative team, was transferred to Tucson. They knew Battaglia's brother was active in Tucson and they expanded their investigation to see if it involved Bonanno. JB had nothing to do with these crimes and actively tried to weed these people out of his life.
    A very prominent jeweler in Tucson had a propensity to engage in bad behavior's with young children much like Michael Jackson. He would cover up the claims of wrong doing with large sums of hush money. Even though his jewelry business was very successful, he had to borrow large sums of money to stay in business. This is where things usually go very wrong for people who get snuffed by the mob. He ended up borrowing money from "Batts" Battaglia. At first, its starts off as a good loan and as you pay back timely, more money is made available if you need it. That's the hook, and now they own you. The more he borrowed to purchase jewelry to sale the more "Batts" picked pieces and gave to his wife. After all, the jewels were paid for with Batts money. As you can guess, it snowballs downhill to the point where the interest cant even be paid. Then Batts brings in his brother, the jewelry is all stolen and the jeweler is thrown out of the 10th floor of the Pioneer Hotel in Tucson. His death was ruled a suicide. I believe his name was Pfifer. Guess what gold coin he sold in his store?

• Options

wife. After all, the jewels were paid for with Batts money. As you can guess, it snowballs downhill to the point where the interest cant even be paid. Then Batts brings in his brother, the jewelry is all stolen and the jeweler is thrown out of the 10th floor of the Pioneer Hotel in Tucson. His death was ruled a suicide. I believe his name was Pfifer. Guess what gold coin he sold in his store?

https://newspaperarchive.com/tucson-daily-citizen-apr-04-1969-p-1/

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, if this is the truth it would be fantastic,
    if our proverbial legs are being pulled, it would be even more fantastic,
    good thing I am well stocked with chronic...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

You roll with the punches like any good pugilist...Battered and bruised but not broken, good to see you again.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the jewelers gold melted down for the Omega's?

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is getting good again. Welcome back.

• Options

No gold was melted. I have been asked many times in the past as to when the coins were produced. That is hard, but I know that Jeweler Newton Pfeiffer was selling them in his jewelry store located in the Pioneer Hotel. My father had instructed my brother and I to stop in his shop and look around as his law office was located next door, Pfeiffer was a celebrity jeweler and ran in local mob circles. I have kept my mothers ring that was made by Pfeiffer and is called the rose. We knew him well and we warned about his predilection for young boys. He was murdered in April of 1969. Coins were being sold at that time. It was nothing short of thrilling to see a coin that represented so much time, effort and planning to actually be in a store up for sale. I will try and post a picture of the ring, a clock downtown to honor Pfeiffer and the Mill shop...the birthplace of the Omega coin. thanks

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting story.....@jmlanzaf...the link does not work.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

3keep....JB would bring you a cognac! Fred was your question answered? Which gang was Mickey Cohen affliated with? I will bet money it was Chicago mob and not New York.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2019 5:41PM

Are we talking about Meyer Harris Cohen?

I think that's who @FredWeinberg was referencing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Cohen

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

WELCOME BACK @totellthetruth

I'll need to read this new thread later.

This discussion has been closed.