Home U.S. Coin Forum

Too many irons in the fire.

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2019 1:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've kind of decided that I like Mercury dimes, now, too LOL. Picked up this really cool 1916-s gem in an ogh with a Sight White sticker. New sticker company that I've never heard of. Bought this one from Pinnacle Rarities. Not FB but I like it anyway.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Is that a Walkerfan sticker?

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2019 1:31PM

@PQueue said:

If it were, you could buy those with confidence LOL. ;)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Merc @Walkerfan!

—————-
    Never heard of sight white until now... there is a website... why in the world would anyone do this?

http://www.sightwhite.com ;)

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting looks like another Millionaire is born!

The Site White certification service has set the NEW NATIONAL STANDARD for the retail customer, coin collector and rare coin dealer.
    In a great coin market, white, toned, dark, spotted and rainbow coins sell well. In all markets white coins sell the best.

Sight White “acceptable” is the new national standard of coin purchasing that is recognized throughout the coin industry.

It’s not the grade of the coin that is in question, that’s already been decided by the grading service, its the appearance.

It’s all about the beauty of the coin that YOU see. This is what Sight White “acceptable” is all about!

Sight White “acceptable” is only certified for white coins that meet our very rigid standards. The Sight White hologram sticker represents coins with minimal to no dark areas, large white spots, grease marks, dark toning or several black spots that would distract from the coin’s visual appeal. You don’t need to be a coin professional because Sight White has already done the work and certified it for you. Finally the coin collector can be totally confident in each and every coin they purchase that has the Sight White “acceptable” certified hologram affixed to the coin case.

MINIMAL DISTRACTION

A Sight White coin that you liked for its beauty when you purchased it will always trade now and in the future as a Sight White coin.

Sight White
    “Acceptable”
    The Sight White Certification Service has set the NEW NATIONAL STANDARD for the retail customer, coin collector and rare coin dealer. This has become the “accepted” national standard for all buyers and sellers of rare and collectible coins. The affixed hologram sticker* will serve as a symbol that this coin will always be accepted as a Sight White coin and easily sold back into the marketplace without question of it being accepted as Sight White certified.

*Stickering is the term used when placing the HOLOGRAM STICKER on the outside of the certified holder directly on the plastic coin case.

Attempting to remove the hologram sticker in any way will destroy the sticker and therefore nullify the certification.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sheesh ! That seems like a crazy place to put the sticker. It looks like it would fit on the right and not interfere with the wording of the description.
    The coin is nice so the sticker is a minor distraction. I hope someone can identify who they are.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like em too and the one you’re showing here looks pretty nice my brother 👍🏻👍🏻

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

If folks have trouble identifying an untoned coin, perhaps a sticker for Toned coins is in order. Perhaps for the sight unseen wholesale market? As a collector I do this thing where I actually look at coins.

P.S. a beautiful early Mercury. I too don'y pay much attention to full bands, mainly the overall strike.

• davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    I've kind of decided that I like Mercury dimes, now, too LOL. Picked up this really cool 1916-s gem in an ogh with a Sight White sticker. New sticker company that I've never heard of. Bought this one from Pinnacle Rarities. Not FB but I like it anyway.

>

I really like the Mercs too, what I have always enjoyed is that you can get the short set in MS 66/67FB for less than 200 bucks for each coin coin or easily in 67 without. What makes me a bit unhappy about them is that toned mercury dimes seem far less available to me than other series of a similar era, buffalo/jeffs, lincolns, washington quarters. I do not know if they have found their way into terminal collectors hands or not, I just personally dont see the nicely toned ones available

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Great coin. Congrats!

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Sight White Ricko's new company?
    White gets green sticker
    Blast white gets gold sticker

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 7:51AM

Great Merc.

It seems I remember someone on the boards saying there is a dealer out of Pittsburgh doing these stickers. I don't remember their name, but I went to the site and it had a lot of coins with this sticker.

Edited for spelling

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need more stickers! :p

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO MORE STICKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All glory is fleeting.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Sheesh ! That seems like a crazy place to put the sticker. It looks like it would fit on the right and not interfere with the wording of the description.
    The coin is nice so the sticker is a minor distraction. I hope someone can identify who they are.

CAC has dibs on the right.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Merc Walker!
    I think looking at the coin you can tell it's a nice white. Who would pay a company to put a sticker on it saying it's white? Looks like a waste of money to me.

edited March 30, 2019 4:43PM

@bsshog40 said:
    Nice looking Merc Walker!
    I think looking at the coin you can tell it's a nice white. Who would pay a company to put a sticker on it saying it's white? Looks like a waste of money to me.

Thanks, Bobby!

I agree with you regarding the sticker. It seems silly to me, too!

I like white coins but only if they have good luster. I like the luster on this Merc, a lot, so it's perfectly acceptable to me.

I also agree with the member who said that they should have put the sticker on the right side. It partially covers the word 'Mercury'.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PQueue said:

I thought it was a White Walker sticker ;)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winter isn't coming, it went last week. White Walkers are coming now.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Noice, that W sticker means no need to crack and dip off the nasty. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

They just keep sticken it to us collectors...........................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

What happens if the coin turns in the holder?

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

@dan_marinelli said:
    What happens if the coin turns in the holder?

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTG.........you have good taste! ;):oB)

@DIMEMAN said:
    WTG.........you have good taste! ;):oB)

Thank you!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it for sure, full band or not.

Congrats, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin for sure.
    Believe the sticker(s), don't believe your lying eyes
    It's true in politics and now in numismatics too

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have a 1916 S high-grade Merc too..
    The slab has 16 stickers on it though. All respected organizations.
    The coin may be a 1921 Morgan. I'll have to weigh the slab to be sure.......

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice Merc... and looks like someone has beat me to a sticker business.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ricko I didn't know you had incorporated .... :D

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it’s a relief to know we don’t have to look at our coins now. From their website:

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, the coin in the OP is wonderful.

Second thing I would do is remove that Sight White abomination. Does it provide any value and does anyone care? Not to me, I think I know a white coin when I see one.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    We need more stickers! :p

Just one more should do it.
    A braille one so you don't even have to look at what's in it! B)
    Think of time saved.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice looking dime! I've never heard of that sticker

Paradox of Choice

“More choice often leads to less action”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clDUHSsYs6o

It is the first of April.

I often think of this scene when I read a thread like this.

https://youtu.be/6-dIwuoRYwo

edited April 1, 2019 8:02AM

@ricko said:
    That is a very nice Merc... and looks like someone has beat me to a sticker business.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

I suggested before that you start RAC- RickO Approved Coin

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations !!!

Timbuk3
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinnut said:
    Nice coin. Full bands are overrated.

I am not sure I agree with this statement!
    Consider the following FH Standing Liberty Quarters, FBL on Franklin halves, are just a few.
    When it comes time to sell you coins I think those with will sell better than those without.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file