Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look what came across my table yesterday at a local coin show!

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friday was a quiet day at the Texarkana Coin Show. Not much activity other than a persistent 'local' who was convinced his damaged pocket coins were rare errors (he was a character!).

Then this crossed our table ... yikes!

I am still smiling ... :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat Very nice!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged pocket change is the future of the coin market. I hope you made a generous offer! ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... very nice acquisition...old soft pack.... that coin has seen some commerce....Not sure how it got in a soft pack...must have been cycled back to the government...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, cool government rare date!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh that would look good in any album. It is one which requires authentication , though.
    And who better than the GSA ?
    Score ! Nice one..., and kudos.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the seller know what they had?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid on that coin when it was raw. Mr. Hendrickson evidently outbid me. It was pricey as I recall but I thought my $3k would do it....I think we went well beyond that but can't remember where it ended up.

It was an ebay auction.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Very cool!

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

@AUandAG said:
    Only one GSA 1893-s graded by NGC. THIS IS IT.
    You suck!

Thank you, Bob, for recognizing this piece is unique. Yes ... there is only one and this is it!

It was sold through the GSA as a 'generic' dollar and cost the original purchaser ... $3. It was owned for many years by Leon Hendrickson at SilverTown before the current owner was able to obtain it.

I mentioned this piece 'crossed our table' and that is true, but a little misleading. The coin was not for sale and the owner (who is exceedingly knowledgeable about GSA dollars) knows fully what this coin is. He told us about it and then generously allowed us to play with the coin for a few minutes and shoot an image.

So ... I don't suck for buying it ... I just suck for leading you on a bit ... ;) Sorry ... but I couldn't resist. :)

Way cool piece.

Soooo....you did buy it?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool piece.

Soooo....you did buy it?

No, I did not. I can't remember why I stopped bidding but it may have had something to do with "why would you bit that on a worn out dollar?" said the wife.

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice find. I too never thought existed. That's why I continue to post to new members, "Welcome to School"! Always learning something new here on the Forum.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭

Drool and more drool....

Bob: this is one of those items where you do the deed first and then ask (or beg) for forgiveness.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

what was the ebay sales price then ....and approx. value now ? what a beauty

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

That’s a cool find! Can’t believe that came from the GSA hoard. So cool

• Options

@SeattleSlammer said:

@astrorat said:

@AUandAG said:
    Only one GSA 1893-s graded by NGC. THIS IS IT.
    You suck!

Thank you, Bob, for recognizing this piece is unique. Yes ... there is only one and this is it!

It was sold through the GSA as a 'generic' dollar and cost the original purchaser ... $3. It was owned for many years by Leon Hendrickson at SilverTown before the current owner was able to obtain it.

I mentioned this piece 'crossed our table' and that is true, but a little misleading. The coin was not for sale and the owner (who is exceedingly knowledgeable about GSA dollars) knows fully what this coin is. He told us about it and then generously allowed us to play with the coin for a few minutes and shoot an image.

So ... I don't suck for buying it ... I just suck for leading you on a bit ... ;) Sorry ... but I couldn't resist. :)

Way cool piece.

Soooo....you did buy it?

No, it was not for sale. Its price will be stratospheric when offered for sale.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most DEFINITELY Charlie Brown Approved!! <3

• Options
    edited March 30, 2019 1:35PM

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uber cool

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Felicidades!
    This is another example that proves local shows and in-person sharing of the hobby is alive and well and can never be replicated by the internet only .

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Mark said ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Wow

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool indeed!

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow! very cool indeed. Cant imagine it would be easy to come across another one like it!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes you see something so cool, the best you can do is get a picture of it.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had no idea that existed - thanks for posting it! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice that the owner brought the coin to the show just to show it off. Its always interesting to see unique pieces. However, you gotta wonder if the owner was looking for an offer... I have no idea what the premium should be.

• Options

@REALGATOR said:
    Very nice that the owner brought the coin to the show just to show it off. Its always interesting to see unique pieces. However, you gotta wonder if the owner was looking for an offer... I have no idea what the premium should be.

It was nice of him to share the coin and he made it very clear it was not for sale.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

@REALGATOR said:

Yeah, what do you think a realistic price for this would be? Hmmmmm…….

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeBone said:

@REALGATOR said:

93-S in 4......$2250. Retail.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    ...I mentioned this piece 'crossed our table' and that is true, but a little misleading. The coin was not for sale and the owner (who is exceedingly knowledgeable about GSA dollars) knows fully what this coin is. He told us about it and then generously allowed us to play with the coin for a few minutes and shoot an image.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2019 1:46AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@LeeBone said:

@REALGATOR said:

I dont think you could buy this for too much under 6k. Maybe more

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@LeeBone said:

@REALGATOR said:

m

So you are saying someone would pay 4K for some cello and a GSA sticker!? It's still a 93-S in Good!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I, Brown Cow.....Well, if they pay for "First Strikes" and love slabbing, why not?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat story, but I kinda agree with Bob's wifey. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2019 4:27PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@LeeBone said:

@REALGATOR said:

m

So you are saying someone would pay 4K for some cello and a GSA sticker!? It's still a 93-S in Good!

Actually a few people contacted me and said I was off by tens of thousands of dollars. For GSA collectors this is a unique piece

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@LeeBone said:

@REALGATOR said:

m

Actually a few people contacted me and said I was off by tens of thousands of dollars. For GSA collectors this is a unique piece

m

OMG...…..that is insane!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file