Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Older post update - Changing from Type Collecting Question

SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 21, 2021 6:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have been working on a slabbed type collection for the past 5-8 years. As the remaining coins are either modern, a early dollars and a few random others, I find myself less interested. For example no interest in getting a SBA or modern dollars and struggle with spending the money to find a draped bust cent that I like. I have diverted into old gold (mainly generic dates) and Patriotic CWT’s. I do have a few typecoins that I love (ms65 fh SLQ in an ogh and a vf35 cac a/r SLH) that I love and will keep.

So my question is I have been going back and forth on whether to sell off the majority of my type coins. While I don’t need the money, the funds could be used to continue the hunt for new items or a special coin. Additionally, I think that selling may also release the pressure or feeling to complete the type set. That said, while not they are not all super special, I did spend time ensuring that I like all the type coins I have.

So, if you have been done a similar path, if you sold your coins, did you ever regret it and wish you had finished, or if you didn’t sell, did finishing the set bring huge satisfaction or actually lower your enjoyment? I have been leaning towards selling to spend more time on what currently interests me, but worry I might regret it later on. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 4:09PM

I love my type coins, and they would be among the last things to go if I were to sell my collection.

I had thoughts similar to yours about my half cent die variety collection. I liked it, but as I within the last four varieties I had hoped and planed to get, I realized that I would never get them or have to wait years to even have a chance to get them. The number of known pieces was 20 or few examples known, and there were advanced collectors who had multiple examples of them. Until they decided to sell, I had zero chance of getting them, and when they did sell, I would probably not have enough money to buy them. So I pulled the plug and sold almost every thing.

Only you can decide if it's time for you to invest your resourcs elsewhere. I know with my type set that there were some coins I like far more than others. To me the 1873-4 With Arrows coins are mostly a drag. They are expensive, and the story that goes with them is not that thrilling. Still, since I wanted a complete set, I got them. I don't find any of the other coins in the set that boring.

As for SBA and the modern dollars, those things are cheap if you a Proof set, or if you want them slabbed, the PR-69 Ultra Cameo coins are cheap. They are the "failures" or the "mistakes" that dealers who market PR-70 coins tend to blow off. That's how I filled those holes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe rather than a typeset, you could reallocate funds into a design set (one per overall design rather than by type). This might let you add coins that are less expensive than their larger counterparts and it can avoid filling your collection with types you don't love.

Or, a Box of 20 (or 40 or 60) could be a good approach to take, continuing with quality over quantity and just buying the coins you like.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like not being constrained by collecting a series or by registry slot.

Concentrate your money on possessing coins that bring a smile to your face, sell the rest. Don’t let someone else’s idea of a collection determine yours. :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like @TomB ‘s approach.

Go through them and pick out 10 or 15 you just don’t love. Sell them, then sit on it a bit. You’ll either have the desire to replace the ones you culled with stellar examples or sell even more. There’s no reason to dump them all at once if you don’t need the money.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved my type coin collection but I did sell them off years ago for my current passion.
    Pick your passion and don't look back. :)

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a possible different approach.

If you don't need the money, keep it on the back burner as others suggest, but consciously be on the lookout for examples of the moderns that just blow you away. For example, I have never liked SBAs. But maybe six months ago I saw one here that was so incredible it changed how I saw them.

There are collectors of moderns who may have such examples for you.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont buy coins you dont like just because they fit in a "type set."
    And if you're tired of your coins, sell and move the funds to the next area of interest. You wont regret the adventure

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a type collector and, for the most part, ignore the modern coins. I call it an 18th to early 20th century type set.

While not the same, I have focused on coin series like SLQs etc and decided to sell those collections (because like you it stared to get boring) to fund my current type set passion. In those cases, I've never once regretted selling the series. When collecting starts to be a drag then it's time to move on to something else.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate the thoughts and insight. I will ponder it a little more, but believe some of the thoughts that resonate are:
    -keeping some of the special coins that mean the most to you....for me my Vf cc Morgan dollars
    -reducing the coins that don’t truly speak to me or that can be easily replaced
    -continuing the “adventure” because that is what seems to drive my passion versus feeling the need to finish a task/set. If that passion returns to buying nicer/special coins for a type set, great ...if it goes in another direction...I will see where it takes me...and yes, I have started veering a little towards the dark side, but not as much as I have towards old gold and cwt’s

Thanks again

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bear in mind that to a LOT of people, the type set is the most interesting way to collect.
    Think hard before selling.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great summary, logic.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad to see that you have a plan and are quite satisfied with it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019 10:46AM

I would use 1964 as a cutoff (blowout / forget about the mods) and just keep working on the type project as funds permitted for upgrades. Another project would be Carson City coins.

Then as time permitted enjoy looking at my coins, enjoying a shot of Jim Beam and plotting what to do next.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds to me like you've lost interest in your type set collection. This happens...interests can change. I'd sell the ones you like least, and keep the money ready for your next venture. Follow your heart, and collect what appeals to you.

I dabbled early on in type set collecting, but I lost interest pretty quickly after a few years, and sold most of my set. It wasn't a waste of time though, as it acted as a gateway to series collecting (primarily Stand Liberty quarters, large cents, and Barber coinage). I personally find series collecting way more challenging and fun.

Anyway, good luck, and no regrets!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector....Thanks for the update... and it seems you are quite happy with the course you chose. Best of luck in your 'new directions'...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you tell us how you've been selling and maybe anything learned about selling?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you figured it out and are very happy with your decision. You moved out the less meaningful coins and bought some new pieces that interest you. This plan sounds like it reignited your passion for collecting coins.

Way to go!!! Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector

I could not have expected any better summary and observations than you have posted.
    Thanks for taking the time to include such detail.

This thread hits home for many.
    I also feel like minded with your thoughts on buying from and especially selling to dealers.

It's important look out for your best interests while also trying to see it from their side of the counter.

-Mark

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting update. Going back and reading the entire thread was enjoyable as well. You should be quite satisfied with that "coolection" of gold!

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dansco 7070 type set with gold page was my last assembled set too and can totally understand the boredom aspect you mentioned.
    Still have not figured out as to which way to proceed next. Taken a small hiatus this year due to lot happening on the personal front and have not made that many purchases aside of the mint offerings like the newly designed ASE, Liberty bronco, Morgans etc.
    :/

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your gold type set. I went in the other direction, by starting with a gold type set (35 years ago) and evolving to a complete or as complete as I can get U.S. Type set.

Congrats on your evolution and beautiful gold set.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool. I'm starting to formulate a plan for my next numismatic adventure. Going in different directions from time to time can be really enjoyable.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post!
    You’ve assembled a great collection!
    I’ve enjoyed our talks and appreciated your opinions on some of my gold purchases.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed reading your post a couple years back and it's great to see the updated results on your new direction.
    It's beautiful to see all that gold together too.
    I'd love to do the same thing one of these days. "Talking" about it is easy enough... actually doing it has been incredibly difficult so far.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for updating this post, I missed it the first time around.
    Very respectable set of gold you have there, congrats on finding your direction. :)
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Great to hear that you have become comfortable with the process of acquiring affordable old gold.

Now repeat this accomplishment with raw coins - for half the cost. Since most of your coins are available in the same condition raw, and since you are now confident in your knowledge, I bet you'd also enjoy the more tactile experience of holding and displaying, raw old gold.

(With the exception possibly (as you noted) of the C, D, and CC.)

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2021 9:40PM

Fun post. I took a similar trek. First, I did the physical Dansco 7070 Album with gold page. After completing the physical album, I moved on to the 7070 inspired registry set. I started at the NGC registry page because I have a mix of coins and they accepted both TPG coins. I also did a Saint set in the NGC registry. However, when NGC stopped allowing non-NGC graded coins on their sets (I understand they reversed that decision years later) I lost interest.

That led to a few detours here and there, with both registry sets and physical albums. Lately I have started really focusing on my various pre-33 gold registry sets (Type, Saints, $10 Indians). Like you, I am glad I got most of my numismatic gold before the numismatic value diverged from the spot price. Would hate to be starting these gold sets in 2021.

I have not explored selling. Thanks to my career, I am fortunate not to have to worry about the monetary aspect of the hobby.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file