Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are you working on?

Does anyone have a card project that they are working on? Something that goes beyond building a particular set?

I happen to love the sport of lacrosse and for the past handful of years have been picking up random lacrosse cards, both vintage and modern, as I find them. One of the challenges in collecting lacrosse cards is that there is no real source of information for what has been printed over the years. You can find a handful of checklists for particular sets, but as for an annual guide-type of resource, there is nothing.

I'm now researching the history of lacrosse cards, trying to track down checklists for everything produced over the years, and assembling it all into one location. I've always found that I get a lot more pleasure out of a collection or set when I really jump into it and learn all that I can. This certainly qualifies.

Anyone else have a project that they are working on? Something that they are trying to learn about beyond what is easily found in a guide?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 12:32PM

Good stuff Todd! I really like how you made labels for the card savers. Are they going to be graded? Either way, they look really nice and organized. I'm not working on anything other than my cowboys RB set, Emmitt set and 1994 pro line auto ttm's.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 12:33PM

That's quite interesting Todd.

Nothing that deep in the card world...but have been working on these rings...

Kellogg's PEP Cereal Babe Ruth Toy Ring - c1949-51

Collecting the variations based on color - have been doing it for years.

Mike
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am casually building a Mike Schmidt collection and a Phillies collection.
    I would like to get an autographed card by Schmidt some day.
    I am also fresh enough that I am enamored by the piece of bat/fabric cards which seem like a catchy gimmick.

• Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I’m slowing building a pile of wax wrappers after the BBCEXHANGE break.

Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of neat idea on here already. Keep them coming!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I started with the labels mostly because I was unfamiliar with the sets that these lacrosse cards could be found in, so I started labeling the Card Savers so that I could identify them easily. I don't have any immediate plans to grade them. My collectors' OCD prefers all of my cards within a collection be in the same type of holder. I've found that with the many size differences in lacrosse cards, four-pocket pages are generally the most flexible and I can house almost everything in them in one way or another.

As for white whales in the lacrosse world... That's a really good question. I'm not really sure yet how I would identify such an item. Lacrosse cards are generally inexpensive, at least in comparison to other sports cards of similar eras, so value wouldn't necessarily be a determining factor. The Newsy Lalonde cards of the C59, C60 and C61 sets are certainly desirable. In vintage cards, however, I generally prefer cards that represent the game over cards that depict specific players because I don't know a lot about the individuals yet. Along those lines, I think that the 1887 Little Rhody Cut Plug card would be the one that I want to add to my collection most of all. That being said, I am still learning about what has been printed over the years, so a new discovery might change my opinion on a "white whale."

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm working on an all-PSA 10 Mike Greenwell run, mostly in the major card companies (Topps, Fleer, Donruss, etc).

Also, a high grade (7 or higher) OPC Gretzky and Bobby Clarke run. I only have a few left. The difficulty in completing this run is that I'm only interested in dead-nuts centered examples. So it's taking awhile to complete the last few. I'm patient.

Mattingly in PSA 10 only for major issues.

Lastly, I'm ever-so-slowly chipping away at a Jack Nicklaus run, but only cards pre-1986ish.

And I'm always picking up various unopened boxes.

I see a Clemens, Schmidt, and Koufax run on the horizon, since I already have several of their cards.

Andy

• Options

@Bosox1976 said:
    Sorting through a mountain of nice 71's...

That's a dream vacation.

Andy

• Options

@han_soto said:

@ahopkins said:
    Lastly, I'm ever-so-slowly chipping away at a Jack Nicklaus run, but only cards pre-1986ish.

if you need the 71 barratt (what some refer to as his rc) in a psa 8, i can probably help you. think i have 70+ of them left. seriously.

other than the 73 paninis, which is my fav, i can probably knock out a bunch of other jack cards for you as well.

PM sent.

Andy

• Options
    jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Here is a link to my project. Some of you may have already seen it. It is a tough project and will never be completed.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/9771/collector-profile-jeff-taladay-autograph-collectors-quest-acquire-every-heisman-trophy-winners-signature

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I am a big Cleveland Indians fan. I have 2 projects going: a card representing each member of the team HOF, and in the Cleveland uniform. For the time prior to 1950, sets were hit and miss, and it is not easy to find some of these guys. Also some big names in there (acquiring a Joe Jackson will take a while).

The other project is finding a game used bat for each guy on the 1995 team, and really focused on the World Series roster. Of the starting 9, I have 7 gamers, and 2 team issued but not used. I have all but 1 bench guy as well.

Both should keep me entertained for years to come.

• Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

That Goudy strip frame is beautiful.

Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 8:19AM

In order of priority:

1. The guys in my signature line. This is a constant.

2. UVA alumni basketball cards. Very enjoyable endeavor for me.

3. Aaron Judge 2017 Topps base RCs. PSA 10s only. Trying to build up a nice stash of these at current prices.

4. Aaron Nola auto’d RCs. Topps
      product only and PSA 10 only (or raw cards I think have a shot).

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last time I counted I had 24 "projects" I was working on. I weave in and out of them like mood swings. I can usually only focus on a few at a time.

Arthur

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

My current projects, none of these take a lot of research, just a lot of trying to find a good example at the right price for the 71T.
    1. 71T PSA 8 or better with a few exceptions, 627 to go
    2. 71T raw set, just need 36 more for that, this will be ongoing to upgrade everything that has a crease or mark or OC too bad
    2. Run of Topps complete sets from 1979-current (1979-1992 done), slowly working my way up
    3. Donnie Baseball, everything I can get, recently trying to get all the 2019 Topps variations, working on the autos now

When these are done in several years I might work on filling in between the 71 and 79. I have always liked the 75T.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection is filled with projects. I collect anything I can find from the playing days of Roger Staubach and Gary Carter. I also collect Don Meredith and Bob Hayes, but mostly only collect cards for the registry and anything that can fit into a binder. I then collect Curtis Martin and Bernie Williams cards from their playing days, I have them organized in binders in order of Beckett's online checklist, so I'm always filling in empty spots in my binders. Right now I'm really concentrating on 1999 and earlier for those two.

As for non-cards, I'm working on a run of ticket stubs for all of Curtis Martin's 100 yard games (60 in total). It's fun, usually cheap and is something I can just patiently chip away at.

Finally, I've got a few basketball regional issued sets I'm trying to complete, 1975 Superstar Socks, 1977 Pepsi and 1977-78 RC Cola cards (not the cans).

On top of that, I'm easily distracted so there's always something new that's getting started or abandoned.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019 10:00AM

Wax, Cello, and Rack packs and boxes from 1978-1991. Well on my way.
    Also working on a run of a pack, box, and case of 1986 Topps in every form/fashion the base cards were issued. The main ones vexing me right now are the grocery racks (I've got a bunch of singles, but no box/case packaging -- I'm not even sure how they were issued) and the jumbo cello case. I've got packs and boxes, but haven't ever seen a case.
    kevin

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

At least one card of every hall of fame baseball player (preferably a card from their playing days), 1969 Topps Football, 1968 Topps Football, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Billy Williams, Dick Butkus, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, 1958 Topps Football and many star baseball players....Mays, Clemente, Koufax, etc.

• Options

Lots of fascinating stuff to chew on here. I've always felt that diversity is one of the hobby's greatest strengths. There are literally unlimited ways to collect.

@tulsaboy - I've gotta ask, what is the fascination with 1986 Topps in particular? I've never thought about collecting every form in which a particular card set release was issued, but it would be interesting to learn about.

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    That's quite interesting Todd.

Nothing that deep in the card world...but have been working on these rings...

Kellogg's PEP Cereal Babe Ruth Toy Ring - c1949-51

Collecting the variations based on color - have been doing it for years.

Love the Babe Ruth "bling," Mike. You always seem to have an interesting project in the works.

• Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I’m working on a 1963 Fleer baseball high grade set in PSA 8 or better.

Down to 16 cards needed

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@tulsaboy - I've gotta ask, what is the fascination with 1986 Topps in particular? I've never thought about collecting every form in which a particular card set release was issued, but it would be interesting to learn about.

1986 is the first year I collected. Everything about those cards, that set, the design, is all evocative of my introduction to baseball, baseball cards, and collecting with my dad. Since they are still (relatively) affordable in all formats, I have been trying to obtain them unopened in every possible format. I don't know if that means that someday, when I am 80, I will have a massive blowout and open all of it just to show my great-grandkids what fun it can be. Even if not, it is a fun challenge and (at least at this point) somewhat affordable on my budget. Going even one year earlier and trying for intact cases dramatically increases the overall cost.
    kevin

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I've finished my Topps Munson run all in PSA 9 except the 71 is an 8 and the 77 a 10. Working on my Bucky Dent PSA 10 run now along with gu bats of the 77 yanks. The toughest one is going to be Mickey Rivers because they say he was always losing at the track he rarely bought his own bats and used his teammates.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2019 1:27PM

Here is another small collection that I have been working on. I have a fascination with the 1965 AFL All-Star Game boycott where the African-American players boycotted the game in New Orleans due to the racial discrimination they faced. The AFL moved the game to Houston and it was played the following week.

I have been getting 1965 Topps cards signed with various takes on the following inscription: "I am a proud member of the 1965 AFL All-Star Game Boycott, January 10, 1965."

Unfortunately I thought to begin this project only a couple of years ago and missed out on getting a lot of guys that I knew and would have gladly signed, but have since passed away. Still, I've got around 10 of them. Sadly, Clem Daniels passed away last weekend.

edit: sorry. didn't realize the images were so large.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

That inscription idea on the signatures is a great tribute to their willingness to make a stand against discrimination. Really like when history overlaps sports like that. Entertainers and athletes really did a lot to pave the way and change opinions.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

For the last 6 months, I have been buying up Patrick Roy inserts and game used/auto cards, and anything PSA 10 I can get my hands on. No real purpose yet, but I'll figure that out.
    PSA 10 copies of my favorite childhood cards of Ken Griffey Jr., Cal Ripken Jr. and Frank Thomas
    Higher end rookies of (the very few) St. Joseph's University NBA players of recent, especially DeAndre Bembry, as a lot of his cards have SJU jersey swatches rather than his NBA gear.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Trying to get an autographed card of every member of the baseball HOF. Currently #21 on the PSA Set Registry. It’s a set I’ll never complete and the set checklist grows every year, which is a fun aspect. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt.
    -Michael

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

World Golf HOF RCs (earliest cards, not the PSA set), including those inducted under categories other than players. It's been fun trying to track down cards for guys like Dan Jenkins (recently deceased :'( sportswriter) and Karsten Solheim (Ping founder).

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm constantly working on my Steve Garvey collection. To a lesser degree, I'm working on some 80s cards of Orel Hershiser and 70s/80s cards of Dave Concepcion.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just working on being better

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

1952 thru 1993 topps wax packs psa 7 or better

• Options

@waxman1981 said:
    1952 thru 1993 topps wax packs psa 7 or better

Very nice!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd,

I would love to be the first person to complete my namesake set in PSA slabs. This is truly a labor of love for me as in addition to collecting and looking for them, I helped PSA create the specs for the final two ‘missing’ cards from the 12 card set of 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos (my PSA Ben Hogan was first, there’s now 3 and there are still zero PSA Jack Kramer’s) . It’s not a very popular set and they’re pretty rare and it is most noteworthy for the presence of a Mickey Mantle rookie card. That specific card is expensive and popular amongst the Mantle Master Set Collectors. Should you be interested and have time, click the link to the thread on my sig line...

Tim

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest