Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do Coin Dealers Go To Heaven?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 23, 2019 7:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I guess a few might... What do y'all think? >:)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some do, some notice their shoes melting pretty quickly.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A philosophical question to be sure -- assuming there is some existence beyond our lives.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, but not many. on the flip side, not many go to Hell, either. the overwhelming majority spend Eternity in Purgatory. of course, you need to believe in such things first.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some do and some don't. Did you have any particular coin dealer in mind? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since coin collectors are hoarders and, therefore, harbingers of avarice, collectors definitively go to hell

• Options

Is Walter Breen considered a coin dealer? He did cataloging for coin auction companies.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Since coin collectors are hoarders and, therefore, harbingers of avarice, collectors definitively go to hell

Disagree. Since when is saving money for a rainy day considered to be a vice rather than a virtue? As Ben Franklin once said "A penny saved is a penny earned."

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a coin dealer, I make money. I buy food to feed my family.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Question!!!!!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Disagree. Since when is saving money for a rainy day considered to be a vice rather than a virtue? As Ben Franklin once said "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Um, since the bible. .

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a couple/few that I'm pretty sure will be heading South rather than North.

Here's a couple (that shall remain nameless).
    A dealer in Lost Wages offered $5K to an elderly couple for a complete Morgan collection. It's been a couple of decades, but I think I paid around $25K it.

Another dealer I used to do occasional business with in a small town in northern California told me with glee how he bought a Lincoln "Penny" board with a 1914-D and a 1922 No D Strong reverse for next to nothing.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite the poor opinion many here hold about coin dealers, I don't think they/we are any better or worse than any other group of people who buy and sell for a living.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Only dead people can go.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most that I have come across are greedy. Many lie, cheat, steal, deceive their customers etc. Many also have vices, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol etc. Now I'm not saying that applies to all, but certainly a good 98%. I guess if one believes the bible they should certainly know the answer to the question.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Devil must know dealers well
    At least those of them who would sell
    What they know well enough
    Is the counterfeit stuff.
    May they dwell in the hot part of Hell!

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it common knowledge that all coin dealers are descended from the coin changers at the Temple........ If Jesus sits at the right arm of God, they have all of Eternity to Repent. And Collectors, as an aggrieved class, will be admitted to Heaven under the protective hand of God.

OINK

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 10:07AM

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen one there!

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

He who is without sin ect..........

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 11:06AM

In Dante Alighieri's epic poem, Divine Comedy, the 9th or deepest part of hell is frozen and silent. The OP's coin dealer's spirit might be in parts 4 and/or 8.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin dealers don't go anywhere - they jusy keep on rolling. :o

• Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

There will be coin dealers in MY heaven, along with other souls that enjoy sex, drugs and Rock and Roll.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Most that I have come across are greedy. Many lie, cheat, steal, deceive their customers etc. Many also have vices, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol etc. Now I'm not saying that applies to all, but certainly a good 98%. I guess if one believes the bible they should certainly know the answer to the question.

If you are serious about your 98% assessment, then you haven't met the right dealers.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    A philosophical question to be sure -- assuming there is some existence beyond our lives.

Or isn't.

thefinn
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

some few coin dealers will be sharing company for eternity with many lawyers and politicians is my guess. :)

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do collectors with sticky fingers ?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I realize this, and some of the posts, were likely in good fun, but I don't think it hard to imagine why certain populations of the numismatic community don't always feel like hanging here to share their considerable knowledge base.

the PCGS forums become more narrow each of the last 10 years. Its really just a small group of regulars talking to each other essentially. Admission is free so its all good :)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a couple who should absolutely burn. They are greedy cheaters and would rob anyone for as much as you will let them. If they fell off a cliff or something; I really wouldn’t care.

That being said, my mentor who passed away a few years ago was a wonderful, fair and honest man. I bought many of my first raw walkers from him. I sold a lot to him, as well. I know he is with the man upstairs. I miss him so and I will never forget him.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most dealers are experiencing heaven on earth.

...And some are too ornery (or mean) to die.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    nickelsciolistnickelsciolist Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 3:32PM

@mannie gray said:

@blitzdude said:

If you are serious about your 98% assessment, then you haven't met the right dealers.

Okay, so, not a dealer, not even a high end collector and I know this post is mostly in fun but I think dealers get a bad rap. I go to a club and the majority of the members are dealers. There are several hundred members and at weekly meetings there are 40 or more people there. I also run into them at coins shows. I can't recall meeting a more straight-up decent group of folks. Many have helped me with my little projects, advised me on where to find deals on what I am looking for, traded with me, and patiently educated me on interesting nuances of coins. Also they do outreach work with the Boy and Girl Scouts to promote interest in the hobby, do community projects, show up when someone is in the hospital, things like that. Basically a very decent bunch.

As to pricing...well we always expect the other guy to work for cheap, but we always feel we should be well paid. If you love a coin you should be reasonable and pay a reasonable price for it, and if the other guy makes a profit...well so does anyone running a business. Do unto others...

I am sure there are bad people into coin dealing, just as there bad preachers....not saying they ain't out there. But I have seen far worse behavior from bank tellers receiving silver coins from old ladies unloading their recently deseased husbands coin collection at face, then scooping them up and laughing about it. Seen this more than once, and since the first time I intervene.

Anyway...that's my two...centavos.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 3:34AM

This was posted in jest and meant to be lighthearted. So please don't get your panties in a bunch just because the tables are turned from the regular "Why Do Coin Dealers Drink" threads. If this thread has you lying on the floor rocking in a fetal position question where you're spend eternity in the afterlife there's still time to make amends ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

When coin dealers go to heaven, St Peter will ask, "Is this a doubled die? How about this one, is this one a doubled die? What about this one, doubled die? ad nauseam.

• Options

@Outhaul said:
    When coin dealers go to heaven, St Peter will ask, "Is this a doubled die? How about this one, is this one a doubled die? What about this one, doubled die? ad nauseam.

Wouldn't that be hell with the devil asking those questions? :D

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin dealer was taking some time off to play golf. He sliced it off the first tee into the woods. He found his ball in a nice little clearing with a pretty decent lie. He looked toward the green and all he had was two small trees about fifty feet in front of him; one to the left and the other to the right. "Hmm," he thought, "I can make it between them and make the green."

He struck the ball, it hit the tree on the left and ricocheted of to the tree on the right. It came off the tree straight for him and struck him in the middle of the forehead killing him instantly.

He reached the Pearly Gates where Saint Peter greeted him. "Well," Saint Peter said, "I see your paperwork here says you're a golfer." The coin dealer replied, "I certainly am!" Saint Peter inquired, "Are you any good?" The coin dealer said, "I go HERE in two."

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard a few dealers been told where to go so yes and no

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The life I have lived and the great times and good fortune.... oh wait, I am not a coin dealer... Carry on... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin dealers are like everyone else. The bad ones stick out in our memories.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on what they grade!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expected to see pics of Hawaii. Then re-read title. :o

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It's coveting that sends you into the first circle of heck

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

For years of tolerating the public's coin "knowledge" they should get to a higher plane. :p

• Options

@topstuf said:
    For years of tolerating the public's coin "knowledge" they should get to a higher plane. :p

Not if they use it to take advantage of the public.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 2:07PM

Does the universe even care?

I don’t think so - the earth is merely a speck of dust on the space time cosmic scale. 100 k yr from now humans could even have gone extinct eons ago - who wb around to even notice or care?

We have sent probes to every planet in the solar system and listened to the stars for decades - no sign of intelligent life.

As Tony said on the Sopranos “relax, just fawgetta about it.”

I simply try to be the best professional I can be on the bourse and not let individuals get to me.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file