Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My World & Ancient newps for March 2019

I've been on a bit of a binge since the recent selloff of some of my nicer pieces. I sold about 18 coins (including some of my best), but I have since bought 14 new ones, after paying some bills. So my credit card balances are now paid, but I still had some money left over to play with.

I'm now under a self-imposed <$500/coin ceiling (and usually much, much less than that), but still acquiring some fun stuff.

The full gallery of my newps, including the US material, is here.

My primary "Eclectic Box" collection is here.

(I hired @illini420 to help me with the Photoshop templates, to match the format seen there, since I lack the skills and software to do that. I just like the way those "shadowbox" templates look. Thanks in advance, Mike.)

My "bygones" (the stuff I've sold for the past five years or so) are here.

Here are my World & Ancient coin purchases for the last week or two.

Roman Republic: bronze semis, anonymous issue, 211-207 BC; Hispania mint

Ancient Greece (Thrace, Pantakapaion): bronze Æ21, ca. 310-303 BC

Great Britain (England): silver groat of Henry VI, Calais mint, ca. 1422-1461, from the Reigate Hoard found in Surrey

Great Britain (England): silver crown of Charles II, 1679; broadstruck mint error

Great Britain: silver South Seas Company sixpence of George I; double-struck mint error (2nd strike 25% off-center)

Hawaii (Kingdom): silver hapalua (half-dollar) of King Kalakaua I, 1883

Japan: silver yen of the Emperor Meiji, Year 27 (1894)

Peru: silver half-dinero, 1897-JF
(PIctures do not do this prooflike little supergem justice)

Canada: silver dollar of George V, 1935

Egypt: silver 2 piastres of King Farouk, AH 1356 (1937)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a really great way to enjoy the hobby. Kick the “buy and hold” mantra to the curb. Buy twenty coins you love, enjoy them for a while, sell them, and repeat. Sounds a lot more enjoyable than worrying about gradeflation, CAC, declining collector base, or any other garbage.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

LordM - great to see you posting in general and very nice coins you acquired. Some of those are really interesting! Enjoyed the English pieces the most. Nice pickups.

My current "Box of 20"

• Nice pickups! But why is that 1679 crown labeled broadstruck rather than off-center?

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 12:47PM

@WorldCoinsDmitry said:
    Nice pickups! But why is that 1679 crown labeled broadstruck rather than off-center?

Dunno. The Heritage description noted that very thing, pointing out that's it's far more likely just slightly o/c (and therefore common for the issue), rather than broadstruck.

That mattered little to me, since I liked it as an attractive CircCam Charles II crown, regardless. And I was happy with the price.

(The 1723-SSC sixpence I did buy for the error.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    edited March 21, 2019 12:28AM

@savitale said:
    I think this is a really great way to enjoy the hobby. Kick the “buy and hold” mantra to the curb. Buy twenty coins you love, enjoy them for a while, sell them, and repeat. Sounds a lot more enjoyable than worrying about gradeflation, CAC, declining collector base, or any other garbage.

It is, though I'm no longer bound to the "Box of 20" theme, and sometimes the turnover is a little more sudden than originally intended. But overall it is normally much lower than it was in my Box of 20 era, when I had to sell something every time I wanted to add something new.

This time around I sold about 18 pieces out of 50, and am adding back almost as much, though in mostly less expensive coins.

Sell some stuff, pay off both of my credit card balances, fix the car, and still be able to go on a shopping spree and buy almost as many coins as I just sold? That's a win-win. Despite some seller's remorse over some of the stuff I parted with.

There's nothing like new stuff coming in to mitigate the remorse over the stuff you've just sold. I learned that (and the necessary material detachment) during my Box of 20 period.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the Victoria 1/2 sovereign is exempt from the sell offs. At least until your Victoria is ready to use the funds :). I wish I'd seen your sale, you always have something cool to offer.

edited March 21, 2019 12:27AM

@Stork said:
    I hope the Victoria 1/2 sovereign is exempt from the sell offs. At least until your Victoria is ready to use the funds :). I wish I'd seen your sale, you always have something cool to offer.

Still have it. I got it from Dimitri (@syracusian) back around 2003, as I recall, which makes it my longest-held piece.

Except for this Mercury dime, which became the first coin in my collection after I found it in my grandmother's silverware drawer while setting the table for Thanksgiving dinner, on November 25, 1976...

... and this Bust half, which I received for my 11th birthday on December 28, 1976.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Greek coin with the Wolfman on it.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought you were aggressively divesting!

edited March 21, 2019 3:55PM

@Boosibri said:
    I thought you were aggressively divesting!

Yes, but only temporarily, to meet a set goal. As mentioned, to pay off my credit cards and fix the car. Since sales were better than expected and I met that goal within six or eight hours (then exceeded it when stuff kept selling for the rest of the weekend designated for the sale), I had enough money left over after the bills were paid to buy new stuff. Mostly cheaper stuff than the better pieces I sold,but still fun, and plenty nice.

@WildIdea said:

I never thought of the satyr there as resembling the Wolfman, but now I'll never look at him without thinking that! LOL :D

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@WildIdea said:

I never thought of the satyr there as resembling the Wolfman, but now I'll never look at him without thinking that! LOL :D

I would totally add that piece to my collection based of that! I think it’s neat and would kick off a movie monsters sub collection if it were mine. Not even joking. B)

Great group of coins, nicely done and thanks for sharing.

• TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

What a neat group of coins. The hopeless generalist in me likes the variety! I think Roman Republican bronze is underrated.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 7:22PM

That First new coin is stunning great restoration. Must of been difficult letting go but collecing not always about keep forever change keeps things interesting.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited March 22, 2019 2:27AM

@WildIdea said:
    I would totally add that piece to my collection based of that! I think it’s neat and would kick off a movie monsters sub collection if it were mine. Not even joking. B)

Here is the listing for the Pantakapaion "Wolfman" Æ I bought.

The total price (£ 103.48, = $135.56 USD after shipping) seemed pretty reasonable, considering that here is an only slightly nicer example that is listed for 700 bucks.

@TitusFlavius said:
    What a neat group of coins. The hopeless generalist in me likes the variety! I think Roman Republican bronze is underrated.

That one was just too hard to pass up for € 69.00 after shipping (= $77.98 USD). Lotsa bang for the buck there, and my first piece of Republican bronze. Sure, it's a smaller one, but not tiny.

It is on the slow boat from Spain as we speak, and is one of the few coins posted above that is not yet in hand.