Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has the "Central America" restoration process ever been disclosed?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw in the Redbook (outdated) that the USS Central America coins were conserved and the conservators didn't say how they did it.
Have they ever disclosed the process?

Comments

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very interesting subject to have brought up; thanks.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diggin' deeper here, boss.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-grades-second-round-of-gold-coin-treasure

"Evans, a numismatist specializing in the coins of the S. S. Central America, is carefully conserving the coins in the S.S. Central America Numismatic Conservation Laboratory at PCGS headquarters in Santa Ana. "

So....does PCGS know how it's done?

:)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a proprietary process. In other words, it's a secret like the formula for Coca Cola. The major grading services who do conservation work also don't give away their secret "tricks of the trade." Why give up your trade secrets to help your competition?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

This captured my attention on Instagram.

Seems like it could be an interesting job to learn the ins and outs of rehabilitating coins!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ink erasers? ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 11:31AM

LOL. Their is NOTHING secret about conserving metal. It has all been done before and is in the literature. There are some specific methods that are possibly done that are not disclosed. However, although proprietary, they are not secret either. The main methods of any conservation boil down to mechanical, chemical, combination of both, and especially the TIME INVOLVED to do the conservation.

In fact, I believe there are images on the internet of groups of fishbowls connected up with bunches of wires. That is a slow method. B)

• Options

Bob Evans briefly goes over the process in this video https://youtu.be/hXWtaA7chU0?t=28 and in an article from the May/June 2018 RCMR https://www.qgdigitalpublishing.com/publication/?i=490181&m=&id=19968&p=#{"issue_id":490181,"page":12}

• Options

I may have seen another video of Mr. Evans working on the coins someplace as I don't remember this one. Now, I wonder what the secret solution could be that causes the baking soda solution to bubble up when it is added to the container. Gee, any chemists around?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I may have seen another video of Mr. Evans working on the coins someplace as I don't remember this one. Now, I wonder what the secret solution could be that causes the baking soda solution to bubble up when it is added to the container. Gee, any chemists around?

Baking soda is a base. Need an acid to cause a chemical reaction... bubbles.

What is the acid?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a lot of experimenting, for a couple of years, back in the early 2000's.....had a room set up for just that purpose (when I lived in Seattle). Learned a lot...made quite a few mistakes too. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

Baking powder with any acid will form carbonic acid which breaks down to carbon dioxide, which is what the bubbles are.

You can create the effect at home with baking soda and vinegar.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

This "secret solution" is what I was referring to when I referred to proprietary secrets. The general procedure is well known but the specifics that would allow a competitor to duplicate the exact process is not.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2019 6:10PM

@Hemispherical said:

@Insider2 said:

What is the acid?

I know which one it is not! LOL.

Thanks for all the replies! Fortunately, the folks I know remove the iron crust much faster with none of the soaking nonsense or "secret sauce**" and the coins come out absolutely beautiful with no evidence of conservation. Movies are fun to watch; but time is money. :wink:

**I wonder if ketchup would work?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Insider2 said:

What is the acid?

I know which one it is not! LOL.

Thanks for all the replies! Fortunately, the folks I know remove the iron crust much faster with none of the soaking nonsense or "secret sauce**" and the coins come out absolutely beautiful with no evidence of conservation. Movies are fun to watch; but time is money. :wink:

**I wonder if ketchup would work?

Ketchup is acidic.

Now why am I thinking about mustard. :D

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

So long as the coins are stable in the long run, whatever the process is is okay with me. Some coins have held up for what seems to be the foreseeable futures. Others have “gone south” (ended up with ugly copper stains) after a few years. I saw one the other day that the sellers touted as a great coin which totally turned me off. Like they say, one man’s delight is another man’s poison.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file