Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first purchase from heritage (gold)

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, yikes! I am not used to all the crazy fees. I mainly buy on ebay, where what you bid is pretty much what you pay. Winning bid of $350, plus $70 buyers fee, $18.76 shipping fee, $26.33 tax... total of $465.09 :o Absolutely absurd, in my opinion. The seller would be much better off selling at a place like the BST here. ANYWAYS, I've always liked the design of these coins. And I THINK I see the hint of some nice toning, which you know I am a sucker for. Looking forward to getting her in hand.

Comments

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s why he feels bad for the seller!

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won two lots over the weekend. Also factored in the fees to my bids. My lots were near back to back so had my increments and fees tables up on my 2nd screen to make sure I held within my max(after fees).

• Options

Oh yeah, the thread is about the coin. Tough to find these with color and tough type to grade. I would have guessed a 65 from the images.

• Options

I factored the fees in, and feel like I did ok (especially if the color is as nice as I think it could be!), but it's still a bit of a shock to see over $115 in fees on a $350 purchase. The seller could have done much better selling it themselves someplace like this.

• Options

@Jinx86 said:
    I won two lots over the weekend. Also factored in the fees to my bids. My lots were near back to back so had my increments and fees tables up on my 2nd screen to make sure I held within my max(after fees).

It's too much of a hassle to try and figure up your actual cost for each lot. I probably won't be a regular bidder, unfortunately.

• Options

I only buy from HA when I really want an item. They had 4 or 5 Barber Dimes listed, two I won. I had been looking for both dates for my registry set for quite awhile and these might not have been the finest graded, but they were close enough. I really like the use HA as a reference for the material I like to trade in. So many sales over the years and so easy to navigate compared to other auction sites.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s gold! Love it!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't WAIT to see your image.
    Those prongs.
    The horror.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice.

• Options

@Swampboy said:
    I can't WAIT to see your image.
    Those prongs.
    The horror.

If it's nice, I'll probably cross it for trueviews. Of course, I JUST sent another NGC coin in to cross. Perfect timing, huh? :/

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - that is a lot in fees - and taxes to boot!

Hope it's nice in hand - looking forward to seeing you're pics. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Jinx86 said:

$60 in shipping fees from two recent auctions. Jeff Bezos can ship a house for less.

True on the shipping costs. However the one major component Amazon has been missing to me is coins. Had a video conference with a rep of theirs a few years ago. They were trying to convince us to use their platform. They even went as far as creating a third party program that would manage our listings on different sites. It was going well till I mentioned that all of their info was taken from PCGS website, they were quiet for a bit. Then I asked them to search for a specific coin on Amazon, an 1895-O Barber Dime. To no surprise there were none listed. I then asked them to search ebay, 55 listings. The problem is Amazon is they want things that are the exact same and can be sold over and over again with no variations. Coins are the exact opposite product they should be after. Trying to explain, "No two coins are the same." to them was though.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too like this design, but you’ll need to add crossover fees, shipping, and insurance cost to your overall bill :s No way I could leave it in those grossly ugly white prongs that are especially pronounced on such a small coin.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah everyone remembers their first time buying from HA and seeing the actual total lol

I used to be more active there now maybe make a few purchases a year from them, mostly from Central States lot viewings since I hate their pictures.

• Options
    dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

There's not usually as big a selection but I'm having a good time on David Lawrence auction site. No buyer fees, no shipping, no taxes, stuff comes quick!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

Nice gold by the way. Hope you like it!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like nice toning! i would re-holder that coin. the holder is swallowing it up.

i know what you mean about fees. i just won an item for 1440 and had to pay 133 in sales tax because i didn't make it to 1500 (thanks state of ca).

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 10:39AM

You still got good deal whsl 500 CPG 650

Nice coin too.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the entire Pan-Pac series

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice toning which is your area of expertise sir.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the coin!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@steveben said:
    looks like nice toning! i would re-holder that coin. the holder is swallowing it up.

i know what you mean about fees. i just won an item for 1440 and had to pay 133 in sales tax because i didn't make it to 1500 (thanks state of ca).

You should have bought another coin from them (any coin) for $110 or under and you would have received it for free.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the coin as well. as for the rest of it im not so fond of it. enjoy the coin (fwiw)

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 2:22PM

HA is the worst I can think of.
    Only ever bought one coin off them because it was a mega-rip.

Really like your toner PanPac & it looks better than 63.
    You should have no problem crossing that little guy but will probably have to send it in again to get an upgrade.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love some of the toned gold that you post.
    That said, I'm not seeing anything there that excites me.
    I hope it is nice in hand.
    You have to factor in all the fees with Heritage. It's even worse when bidding overseas.
    After a few purchases you kind of get a feel for what to expect from the pics.
    Please post after you get it and let us know what you think.

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

For some reason I was expecting to see a coin with an Indian on it when I opened this!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything special about that toning.

it looks dark.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's nothing nicer than gold. :)

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, and congrats on the winning bid!

Buyers fees have turned me away from auction houses for the coins that I typically purchase... I'm not that high up the food chain!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 9:09AM

I’m not sure why everyone is complaining about HA’s fees. Buyers premium, sales tax, and shipping fees are all disclosed. Your bid should take into consideration the additional fees. It’s not rocket science.

By the way that’s a great looking coin with attractive toning.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice looking coin. I like the look of that toning, congrats.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage fees have ended my relationship with them.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a coin, it is gold, it is a PanPac..... That's the good news... those fees are almost criminal... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@skier07 said:
    I’m not sure why everyone is complaining about HA’s fees. Buyers premium, sales tax, and shipping fees are all disclosed. Your bid should take into consideration the additional fees. It’s not rocket science.

By the way that’s a great looking coin with attractive toning.

I would almost need to make a cheat sheet if I was a regular bidder. It's hard to know exactly what you will be paying if you are trying to win a lot of coins. I would hate using them as a buyer though. I was willing to pay $465 for this coin. The seller got $350 (I think. Do they pay fees too??)

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 6:14PM

so my latest bid win from Heritage coin bid $115.00. it turned into a $154.50 purchase. You best do the math before you bid or you can be in for a tremendous shock financially. After verifying the coins value, I calculate the cost before I bid and set this as my maximum bid. Now if I could find where on their web site as to have they shipped it yet. lol. The part that kills me is that state tax is figured on the coin's winning price and the buyer's fee combined.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    kuwegg57kuwegg57 Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

My last win on Heritage. I placed a max bid that when all the other fees were added would still be below what I was willing to pay. I still bid with Heritage but because of my low max bid I havent won a coin for awhile.

Sub-Total $10,800.00
    Shipping
    $46.37
    Sales tax has been applied according to applicable law.
    Tax
    $511.08
    Late Fee $0.00
    Accrued Interest $0.00
    Total $11,357.45
    Amount Received -$11,357.45
    Amount Due
    $0.00

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coin!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very pretty and colorful and I know for sure you like that. So do I, a lovely piece👍🏻

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Jinx86 said:

$60 in shipping fees from two recent auctions. Jeff Bezos can ship a house for less.

True on the shipping costs. However the one major component Amazon has been missing to me is coins. Had a video conference with a rep of theirs a few years ago. They were trying to convince us to use their platform. They even went as far as creating a third party program that would manage our listings on different sites. It was going well till I mentioned that all of their info was taken from PCGS website, they were quiet for a bit. Then I asked them to search for a specific coin on Amazon, an 1895-O Barber Dime. To no surprise there were none listed. I then asked them to search ebay, 55 listings. The problem is Amazon is they want things that are the exact same and can be sold over and over again with no variations. Coins are the exact opposite product they should be after. Trying to explain, "No two coins are the same." to them was though.

Didn't Amazon sell the entire Saddle Ridge Hoard a few years ago? There's an entire "coins" section but at first glance it looks like kind of a mess. Never looked there before though.

Heritage charging tax on total including "buyer's fee" seems odd. There is no state tax on "services" where I live. I do use Heritage all the time for research, but every time I watch an item it goes way over what I would spend.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    First of all, yikes! I am not used to all the crazy fees. I mainly buy on ebay, where what you bid is pretty much what you pay. Winning bid of $350, plus $70 buyers fee, $18.76 shipping fee, $26.33 tax... total of $465.09 :o Absolutely absurd, in my opinion. The seller would be much better off selling at a place like the BST here. ANYWAYS, I've always liked the design of these coins. And I THINK I see the hint of some nice toning, which you know I am a sucker for. Looking forward to getting her in hand.

Congratulations! It’s a grand issue!!

• Options
    edited April 4, 2019 2:47PM

Already sold for $550. Pretty decent flip. Just think, the original owner only got $350 :o

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you buy it for resale or were you not impressed by the toning in hand?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file