Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Explore and Discover Coin Set (19XGB) (On sale now, $19.95, HHL's lifted)

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch @Gluggo! PFSWeb packers did not even tape that box correctly. Probably got jammed on the shipper’s (FEDEX?) conveyor belt somewhere.

Since it’s already “open” probably cannot FS. Might need to send back to Mint if that is what your planning on doing.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Bummer @Gluggo - Another damaged Mint box! I had two recently that I planned on selling or submitting sealed but the possibility of missing contents was show-over. Opened both, everything was intact. :/ You can use the tracking number on the box to cross-reference your orders at the Mint. Easy if you have the shipping emails.

Everything was OK the hole was on the green plastic side. I got lucky! Whew!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo So sorry to see this damaged package. Grrrrrrrrrrrr and with the flying nickels, you might not even have a complete set. Still waiting for mine to show up. You know who on tv is selling this set with two coins in slabs....the penny planchet and the penny grading as a PL coin.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    @Gluggo So sorry to see this damaged package. Grrrrrrrrrrrr and with the flying nickels, you might not even have a complete set. Still waiting for mine to show up. You know who on tv is selling this set with two coins in slabs....the penny planchet and the penny grading as a PL coin.

Interesting Mr. Mike? :p

• Options
    edited April 4, 2019 6:53PM

@Hemispherical said:
    Ouch @Gluggo! PFSWeb packers did not even tape that box correctly. Probably got jammed on the shipper’s (FEDEX?) conveyor belt somewhere.

Since it’s already “open” probably cannot FS. Might need to send back to Mint if that is what your planning on doing.

My Grand Baby is getting one of them. I don't think I will send these in for grading. I got a few more coming I am sure they will get here safe. But I do not see them shipping yet might be a bit of a wait. Say another week or so! IF I decide to grade them I can send them in. I bought them 2 sets per box that way a little more sensible in grading costs vs 5 or 10 sets.

• Options

@Gluggo Make sure the coins are still there. May have fallen out.

@Onastone How much is it being sold for? Always fun to watch and laugh at how it’s hyped-up and the prices.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

Interesting Mr. Mike? :p

The one and only!!!!!!!! B) He is a leading Noooomissmatissst.

• Options

How much is it being sold for? Always fun to watch and laugh at how it’s hyped-up and the prices.

$99 .95 + S&H

• Options

@Onastone said:

How much is it being sold for? Always fun to watch and laugh at how it’s hyped-up and the prices.

$99 .95 + S&H

Wow!

x5 markup

Wonder how much is profit he has to have a lot of overhead expenses.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Ouch @Gluggo! PFSWeb packers did not even tape that box correctly.

I got three boxes of two rocketships (bought during a early am sale), and all three came taped that way. In a box 20x bigger than it needed to be...

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Ouch @Gluggo! PFSWeb packers did not even tape that box correctly.

I got three boxes of two rocketships (bought during a early am sale), and all three came taped that way. In a box 20x bigger than it needed to be...

I must have “lucked” out on the packaging. Small little box that the two sets fit in with a little paper stuffing and properly taped.

Now that I saw this I’ll probably never see that Apollo puck. :D

• Options

Opened one of these puppies up today.

It's more impressive in hand, Nice looking set.

I have to say, the uncircs really look shiny... :wink:

Unfortunately, since they glue the magnifying glass in, it'll probably only grade an SP-67...

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2019 4:13PM

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Opened one of these puppies up today.

It's more impressive in hand, Nice looking set.

I have to say, the uncircs really look shiny... :wink:

Unfortunately, since they glue the magnifying glass in, it'll probably only grade an SP-67...

is the magnifying glass, glass or polished plastic? maybe a ZL-67 grade: "zoomy like" lol :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

>
    Not glued in. It’s on some Velcro. It doesn’t work very good.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2019 3:39PM

@cruisersk1 said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

>

Maybe it’s not the magnifier.... 🤓 :p

• Options

@cruisersk1 said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

>

You're right. It moved around, I thought they stuck it in there with some sort of removable glue to hold it in place during shipping.

It even says "Mighty Minters" on it. How very cool. I will have to put a lanyard through it and be sure to wear it at the next show I go to to show how hip I am!

The Mint should sell t-shirts with the Mighty Minters on it...

(No, I haven't started drinking yet. :D )

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@cruisersk1 said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

>

You're right. It moved around, I thought they stuck it in there with some sort of removable glue to hold it in place during shipping.

It even says "Mighty Minters" on it. How very cool. I will have to put a lanyard through it and be sure to wear it at the next show I go to to show how hip I am!

The Mint should sell t-shirts with the Mighty Minters on it...

(No, I haven't started drinking yet. :D )

I have but I did not buy any of these

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

How long do you think it'll take for them to start toning? I'm thinking not very long being in that holder. I hope they get some rainbow colors to them. :)

• Options

Why are they teaching our kids that these are PENNIES? I thought the proper term was CENT. So is it okay to call our cents pennies?

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Why are they teaching our kids that these are PENNIES? I thought the proper term was CENT. So is it okay to call our cents pennies?

‘Cuz that’s why.

LOL :p

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

My set arrived today, all coins in packaging, nothing loose in shipping box.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@jabba said:
    Is PCGS going to grade the blank?

Good question. I cannot find anything on the other planchet (in the 2005 set, see previous page) in Coin Facts.

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@jabba said:

715594 MSRD (2019) 1C Blank Planchet Discovery Set, RD

• Options

@mas3387 said:

@jabba said:

Heck, why not? ;)

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2019-1c-blank-planchet-discovery-set-rd/715594

Well the ones I bought have been mailed-out so the temptation is over... or is it. Might be interesting to slab a zinc (copper coated) planchet. ;)

Where are the cent collectors? How much of a premium will these planchets bring?

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@mas3387 said:

@jabba said:

Heck, why not? ;)

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2019-1c-blank-planchet-discovery-set-rd/715594

Well the ones I bought have been mailed-out so the temptation is over... or is it. Might be interesting to slab a zinc (copper coated) planchet. ;)

Where are the cent collectors? How much of a premium will these planchets bring?

So, they're actually going to date a slug. And give it an MS grade? How can they give it a MS grade before it's a coin? Have they done this before?

Will they do the "First Non-Strike" attribute too? How about that SP grade for the magnifying plastic. (Well, it's not glass...)

I may need to do this. I still have a set in a sealed box...

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2019 7:56AM

@BackroadJunkie
    Appears to me that it's not given a grade. Just mint state red.
    edited to add... Could be, eventually, red brown and brown as well.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

@mas3387 said:

@jabba said:

Heck, why not? ;)

So, they're actually going to date a slug. And give it an MS grade? How can they give it a MS grade before it's a coin? Have they done this before?

Will they do the "First Non-Strike" attribute too? How about that SP grade for the magnifying plastic. (Well, it's not glass...)

I may do this but will need to pop the planchet out and submit and as long as we are under 30 day it’s still FS. But will need to order another.

And the silver proof set’s RP W-cent is right around the corner.

And then there is Madison

And with the drop in gold...

And all this before Summer.

Whew! :#

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

@mas3387 said:

@jabba said:

Heck, why not? ;)

I may do this but will need to pop the planchet out and submit and as long as we are under 30 day it’s still FS. But will need to order another.

And the silver proof set’s RP W-cent is right around the corner.

And then there is Madison

And with the drop in gold...

And all this before Summer.

Whew! :#

If you pop the planchet out, you won't be able to prove the lineage.

The whole point of this is to get the date on the slug/slab. (Something I don't think they've done before, since planchets don't have dates on 'em.)

I'll bet they have to be submitted in a sealed box.

@HeatherBoyd, can you confirm?

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

If you pop the planchet out, you won't be able to prove the lineage.

The whole point of this is to get the date on the slug/slab. (Something I don't think they've done before, since planchets don't have dates on 'em.)

I'll bet they have to be submitted in a sealed box.

@HeatherBoyd, can you confirm?

I am trying to convince myself I don’t need a slabbed planchet... :#

I am going to...

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

...and maybe ALL coins in the set have to be graded. That would be a bit steep....

• Options
    edited April 8, 2019 5:15AM

@BigA said:
    ...and maybe ALL coins in the set have to be graded. That would be a bit steep....

Agree.

Seven at Modern service level for $112; add GS for $35; add FS for $126; add for shipping/insurance $27; and finally $10 for handling, and this is for one set.

—————

For the rocketship I submitted two in the plastic wrap and one Kennedy in the capsule (this was the Kennedy from my modified rocketship). Came out with two graded rocketship Sacs and three graded rocketship Kennedy’s. It helped that I had other coins that I wanted to be graded and spread out the per coin costs.

Working on another submission and debating about the planchet...

• Options

@BigA said:

If that includes the magnifying glass, I'm all in. :wink:

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

With PCGS you tell them the ones you want graded then request the others back you don’t have to grade them all

• Options

Well that makes sense...ATS is all or none

• Options

You all are not helping. I am trying NOT to order another set to slab a planchet. I am trying to make an excuse on why I cannot do it and stick to it; but there went my “going to cost too much $” excuse. :D

• Options

My point exactly

• Options

I caved.

Bear with my twisted logic.

Already bought the PF set with the W PF cent.

Gifted the PF set but kept the PF W cent.

Sent in. Got a PF70 cent.

Enrolled in the silver set with the RPF cent.

Will send the cent in for grading. Since I already have PF70 might as well try for all three W cents

Also found a couple of PF AI $1 that was misfiled. Thought I got rid (gifted) of all these.

Might as well send them in.

Will be having a few more coins (about 10) that need to be graded.

Adding the planchet will reduce the per coin cost.

Slabs take up less space....!? ;)

Now I can stop thinking about this zinc/copper thing.

I have closure. 🤯

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    3/31/2019 2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 8468

2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 13822 4/7/2019

Still not bad. It's already out-sold the 2014 version...

2014 US MINT COIN DISCOVERY SET 11902 4/7/2019

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 13822 4/7/2019

Still not bad. It's already out-sold the 2014 version...

5000+ more in the second week. Did somebody figure out something? Probably not.

The 2014 set costs $5 more; must be that magnifier with a wooden handle. :D

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    4/7/2019 2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 13822

4/14/2019 2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 16898

Huh. Sales are still relatively strong. The 2014 set finally broke 12K...

2014 US MINT COIN DISCOVERY SET 12005 4/14/2019

Sales numbers courtesy of the US Mint...

• Options

Thinking that some are getting this set to fill their albums/slots for the cent, nickel, and dimes (and maybe the others). It’s less expensive to get this than other sets.

2c

• Options

Just not meant to be. Returning. The nickel is lost. There was a open crease in the shipping box.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Just not meant to be. Returning. The nickel is lost. There was a open crease in the shipping box.

My box is also creased, tape barely holding it together, very flimsy box. I heard something in there rattling around, presumably the nickel....I'll open it up later. :(

• Options

@Onastone said:

@Hemispherical said:

My box is also creased, tape barely holding it together, very flimsy box. I heard something in there rattling around, presumably the nickel....I'll open it up later. :(

Hoping for a rattle. No rattle. No nickel.

Mailing it back will cost shipping $. Is it worth it for a circ nickel? Thinking...

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said

Mailing it back will cost shipping $. Is it worth it for a circ nickel? Thinking...

It could be mixed in the paper. Both of my first two were out. I have a box of 10 I didn’t open.

Also the mint will send you a free return label if you just call them.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2019 3:14AM

@cruisersk1 said:

@Hemispherical said

It could be mixed in the paper. Both of my first two were out. I have a box of 10 I didn’t open.

Also the mint will send you a free return label if you just call them.

Thoroughly went through it all. Had similar experience with the first order so was expecting some loose change. Didn’t expect the gapping hole in the seam in the shipping box, though.

Update. Send it back in.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    4/7/2019 2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 13822
    4/14/2019 2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 16898

4/21/2019 2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 18369

Would I be overly critical to point out sales are better than any of the American Legion commemoratives, except for the silver proof?

Sales numbers courtesy of the US Mint...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file