Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Explore and Discover Coin Set (19XGB) (On sale now, $19.95, HHL's lifted)

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 9:03AM

Still 2 HHL. USM065830nn

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was easy. Got two.

USM065830xx
    USM065833xx

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two here. USM065832XX Do you think these will follow the same track as the spaceship?

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Two here. USM065832XX Do you think these will follow the same track as the spaceship?

It depends on whether the TPG's will grade the penny slug. :wink:

• Options

Confirmed. And Shipped. Hell, there's the postman. Wow, more PL. Sending in for grading now. Woo Hoo. Just kidding....glad it doesn't actually work that fast.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried to by 2 more but they caught me! >:)

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Tried to by 2 more but they caught me! >:)

You've got tomorrow when they lift the limits.

• Options

@jabba said:
    Just curious if there will be any special finishes you never know

@BackroadJunkie has got this one right again, the winner in this set will be the "penny slug", the cent planchet, the blank...
    I can see people having it graded and putting it in with a set of 2019 cents right along side the W mint marked ones. How many different cents will be in this set anyway, three W mintmarks, penny slug, S mint, D mint, P mint...throw in a couple rare Carson City cents and you've got an amazing set!!!!!!!!!

• Options

@Onastone said:

@jabba said:

@BackroadJunkie has got this one right again, the winner in this set will be the "penny slug", the cent planchet, the blank...
    I can see people having it graded and putting it in with a set of 2019 cents right along side the W mint marked ones. How many different cents will be in this set anyway, three W mintmarks, penny slug, S mint, D mint, P mint...throw in a couple rare Carson City cents and you've got an amazing set!!!!!!!!!

Well, I also said this:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Bochiman said:
    I want to know if there is anything "special" as to why the print on the set calls them "special coins".....

Because all the uncirculated coins will be proof like, and all the proofs will be matte!

(Let's start that rumor mill up.... BWAhahahaha...)

But back to the slug, I've been joking about it, but it could be the only way a TPG will date a blank planchet, if they'll slab it. I'm just waiting to see if they will. And I'm serious about the First Non-Strike attribute. :D

It's 1982 all over again! 7 different cents!

Has the Mint ever offered up a slug before? I can't recall them ever doing it, but I've killed many brain cells which could have once held that information...

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Onastone said:

@jabba said:

Well, I also said this:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Bochiman said:
    I want to know if there is anything "special" as to why the print on the set calls them "special coins".....

Because all the uncirculated coins will be proof like, and all the proofs will be matte!

But back to the slug, I've been joking about it, but it could be the only way a TPG will date a blank planchet, if they'll slab it. I'm just waiting to see if they will. And I'm serious about the First Non-Strike attribute. :D

Has the Mint ever offered up a slug before? I can't recall them ever doing it, but I've killed many brain cells which could have once held that information...

I had a friend do a Philadelphia mint tour back many years ago and they gave out a cent planchet as a tour gift. I just can't remember where I put it. It was in a package.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

Wait. I do have one. It's not for a coin, but a 1 5/8" medal blank. You could buy one at the Philly Mint so you could strike your own medal.

The reverse of that medal is my avatar...

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Wait. I do have one. It's not for a coin, but a 1 5/8" medal blank. You could buy one at the Philly Mint so you could strike your own medal.

The reverse of that medal is my avatar...

Mine was and still is a cent planchet packaged in a similar package to your medal blank.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a story a while back that slugs couldn't be slabbed anymore because the Chinese fake planchets were too good. However, these in mint sealed packaging should be different.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

I do not want a copper coated zinc planchet... ... ... ... ...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Onastone said:

@jabba said:

Well, I also said this:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Bochiman said:

I had a friend do a Philadelphia mint tour back many years ago and they gave out a cent planchet as a tour gift. I just can't remember where I put it. It was in a package.

Hey! I took the tour, and I never got one. :smile:

That was in 2000, and the tours were self-guiding then, so I never saw a Mint worker that wasn't behind glass...

• Options

The guy in front of you got two...his and yours!!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just ordered two.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the hey? No Mint Store pickups? 1st pics? Dis place is 'lackin ...

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@Akbeez said:
    What the hey? No Mint Store pickups? 1st pics? Dis place is 'lackin ...

Are you going to buy a bunch when they release the HHL’s tomorrow ? o:)

• Options

Gotta know what's up with these! "Special" ??

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still don't see it as a big winner. Time will tell.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2019 8:18AM

Why have they NOT lifted the HHL's on the Explore and Discover Coin Set 2019 yet? :(:(:(

I wanted to buy more! :#:p

https://catalog.usmint.gov/explore-and-discover-coin-set-2019-19XGB.html?cm_sp=HPA1--19XGB--032819

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Why have they NOT lifted the HHL's on the Explore and Discover Coin Set 2019 yet? :(:(:(

https://catalog.usmint.gov/explore-and-discover-coin-set-2019-19XGB.html?cm_sp=HPA1--19XGB--032819

Noon eastern time. Still have about 40 mins or so.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

>

They're gone! Go git 'em!

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Gluggo said:

>

They're gone! Go git 'em!

I been buying like crazy I gotta take a break! o:)

• Options

That’s how the Rocket’s started... then sold out to unavailable.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

"Shipped"...no clue why i bought two but i did

• Options

Yep. Both packages shipped...

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Mine just shipped. Can't wait to try the magnifying glass...

• Options

@DotStore said:
    Mine just shipped. Can't wait to try the magnifying glass...

The real question is, will the TPG's grade the magnifying glass...

• Options

@BigA said:
    "Shipped"...no clue why i bought two but i did

Go for it BigA if you need a grand baby to send one of them too let me know! :p I know of a big baby in mind. :*

• Options

A rousing start....

3/31/2019 2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 8468

Wait until someone gets one in hand and finds an anomoly... :D

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    A rousing start....

3/31/2019 2019 EXPLORE AND DISCOVER SET 8468

Wait until someone gets one in hand and finds an anomoly... :D

In Hand :)
    Haven't opened yet

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

Yes!

unus multorum
  • Options

@Intueor said:
    @BackroadJunkie said:

Yes!

I actually have one of those.... :D

At least it's copyrighted 2005, and there's no mention of a planchet on the outside. (The set is still sealed. CoA says two unc cents, two unc dimes and a proof Kennedy.) Well, read above what I said about killing brain cells...

Interesting that the packaging isn't the same. (i.e. the Kennedy picture placement.) What's up with that?

(One day, I'll document all the sets like this. I have a couple of dozen weird Mint items...)

• Options

Got my 19xgb sets today. They are actually pretty nice. The uncirculated coins are --- dare I say --- proof-like?

They are designed to be handled, so the slots aren't very tight. A nickel and a dime came out during shipping and were rattling around in the shipping box. Another nickel was missing from a set, must have fallen out of the box along the way. Proofs are nice, nothing special. Some fun activities too, including a "find what's different" exercise in two coin pictures.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

That cent looks sharp! Thanks Wayne.

• Options

@Akbeez Thanks for the showing.

Looks like the cent planchet has an upset rim? If so, then they just a step away from being coined.

These will be perfect as gifts... still waiting for delivery.

“It is the equivalent of the weight of 16 elephants.” :)

• Options

Huh? Whacha smokin there Hemi? :)

It's a fun set. My kids would have liked one -- but they are too old now.

I had to go through all the sets to make sure they were intact. Was hoping to find a PL planchet but no banana... :/

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Huh? Whacha smokin there Hemi? :)

It's a fun set. My kids would have liked one -- but they are too old now.

I had to go through all the sets to make sure they were intact. Was hoping to find a PL planchet but no banana... :/

Mine are too old too, going to the next generation and nieces and nephew. :)

The planchet looks like it has a raised rim(?) so it went through the upsetting mill. So they pulled these planchets right before striking.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

Looks like the cent planchet has an upset rim? If so, then they just a step away from being coined.

Isn't that the definition of a planchet?

I believe it's a blank or a round until it get's it's rims upset, then it become a planchet. (The final stage before it becomes a coin.)

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

Isn't that the definition of a planchet?

I believe it's a blank or a round until it get's it's rims upset, then it become a planchet. (The final stage before it becomes a coin.)

Your correct. I do not know what I was thinking.

Maybe it was something that @Akbeez mentioned. LOL

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

Just a “Heads-up”. I received my 2019 Explore and Discover Coin Set (19XGB) set in the mail today. Neat set but be careful. The set is not wrapped in cellophane. The minor coins are just set in cardboard insert holes. During shipping, the nickel dislodged from the insert, fell out of the set, and was loose in the bottom of the shipping box. I did not open the set before discarding the packing material. Fortunately, an hour later, I opened the set and discovered the missing nickel. When I looked in the shipping box in the trash, sure enough, the coin was in the bottom of the box. Hope your sets shipped well but check them before you discard the shipping box.

unus multorum
  • Options

@Akbeez @Intueor

Thanks for the heads-up about “loose change.” I just had to type that... :D

Same thing happened to mine but after reading your posts’ I was prepared.

Now repackaging with some other coin surprises to mail out to the young’uns.

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I got two sets today. One nickel hit the floor while I was opening the box. The other nickel was loose in the box. And I’m pretty sure it was a MS70PL

• Options
    edited April 4, 2019 6:04PM

I received my box from the mint should I be worried? :( Maybe its empty? Should I open it or send it back? I cant remember what I ordered. I hope its not a gold coin in there.

If I open it I will have less than 30 days to send it in for 1st Strike elgability.
    What if it poked through the child’s book? :(
    So many decisions!

• Options

Bummer @Gluggo - Another damaged Mint box! I had two recently that I planned on selling or submitting sealed but the possibility of missing contents was show-over. Opened both, everything was intact. :/ You can use the tracking number on the box to cross-reference your orders at the Mint. Easy if you have the shipping emails.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file