Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just got some grades back. Grrrrrr

Just got some grades for my last submission. Some of you may or may not know but I use SGC (don't hate me) Anyways, I sent off my usual batch of 48 leaf boxing cards but I also decided to start sending in some of my higher end modern cards. Got my grades tonight and most of them were as expected. Until I got to the modern card I sent in. It was a 1996 Jordan tv cell predictor card. I thought it had a shot at. 9 or even 10. The grade? Evidence of trimming.

Now, the reason this pisses me off is because I pulled that card myself back in 1996. It was put in a top loader immeadiatly. I certainly didn't trim it. And I'm assuming no one broke in my house and trimmed it. So it's very frustrating to see that. I'm pretty disheartened with the whole grading thing right now.

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remedylane said:
    Just got some grades for my last submission. Some of you may or may not know but I use SGC (don't hate me) Anyways, I sent off my usual batch of 48 leaf boxing cards but I also decided to start sending in some of my higher end modern cards. Got my grades tonight and most of them were as expected. Until I got to the modern card I sent in. It was a 1996 Jordan tv cell predictor card. I thought it had a shot at. 9 or even 10. The grade? Evidence of trimming.

Now, the reason this pisses me off is because I pulled that card myself back in 1996. It was put in a top loader immeadiatly. I certainly didn't trim it. And I'm assuming no one broke in my house and trimmed it. So it's very frustrating to see that. I'm pretty disheartened with the whole grading thing right now.

Two things:

1) Graders are human and make mistakes. With that provenance and confidence, resubmit for sure.

2) I use both but SGC less and less; in the areas where they were performing better (turnaround) they fell off the map. It will be a while before I go back because with the same (or in my case much, much longer with my last SGC sub) I would think this card may be worth testing my theory? I mean if it is a potential 10, it’s almost a no brainer.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019 7:32PM

@remedylane said:
    Just got some grades for my last submission. Some of you may or may not know but I use SGC (don't hate me)

No hate....you're a cowboys fan, I love you man🤣

Send the Jordan back. It may take a few times. I'm sure they'll end up getting it right.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@remedylane said:

Two things:

1) Graders are human and make mistakes. With that provenance and confidence, resubmit for sure.

2) I use both but SGC less and less; in the areas where they were performing better (turnaround) they fell off the map. It will be a while before I go back because with the same (or in my case much, much longer with my last SGC sub) I would think this card may be worth testing my theory? I mean if it is a potential 10, it’s almost a no brainer.

Turn around has certainly went downhill. I usually do the 10 day service, my last 2 submissions have approached 20 days.

I do agree that graders are human. There's just simply no way this card was trimmed. I personally opened it.

• Options

@PopeyesSpinach said:

@remedylane said:
    Just got some grades for my last submission. Some of you may or may not know but I use SGC (don't hate me)

Send the Jordan back. It may take a few times. I'm sure they'll end up getting it right.

Yeah, I dunno if it's even worth sending back. I may though. Super frustrating.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remedylane said:

@PopeyesSpinach said:

@remedylane said:

I’ll just say again that there’s nothing wrong using both companies, there are certain things that each brings to the table and this a perfect example of why there needs to be (and collectors should be willing to use) multiple third party graders.

Again, SGC is a fine company and I am speaking to personal experience only on their turnaround times. I just feel that when I look at what is facts (meaning not opinion), PSA has the more secure holder (cracking SGCs is easier than ANY other brand, including even some of the ‘lesser known/respected’ companies), PSA has been around the longest and PSA has a better overall market share making their brand the one I now prefer.

Sometimes people tout the ‘value’ of a PSA holder as being significantly higher, as well. I go back and forth about how much but I think it does add the most value (of the big three) though it often comes down to the card itself, to me (and for many on these boards) rather than the company behind the slab. Still, I think ‘Gem Mint’ from PSA would probably draw the best price among 3 examples where one is graded by each company, BVG and SGC being the two others.

There are also a million threads on this topic and I’m not trying to change your mind. I have plenty of SGC cards.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@remedylane said:

@PopeyesSpinach said:

@remedylane said:

I’ll just say again that there’s nothing wrong using both companies, there are certain things that each brings to the table and this a perfect example of why there needs to be (and collectors should be willing to use) multiple third party graders.

Again, SGC is a fine company and I am speaking to personal experience only on their turnaround times. I just feel that when I look at what is facts (meaning not opinion), PSA has the more secure holder (cracking SGCs is easier than ANY other brand, including even some of the ‘lesser known/respected’ companies), PSA has been around the longest and PSA has a better overall market share making their brand the one I now prefer.

Sometimes people tout the ‘value’ of a PSA holder as being significantly higher, as well. I go back and forth about how much but I think it does add the most value (of the big three) though it often comes down to the card itself, to me (and for many on these boards) rather than the company behind the slab. Still, I think ‘Gem Mint’ from PSA would probably draw the best price among 3 examples where one is graded by each company, BVG and SGC being the two others.

There are also a million threads on this topic and I’m not trying to change your mind. I have plenty of SGC cards.

I value your input. When I started getting cards graded a few years ago I knew that PSA was considered #1. I also knew sgc wasn't too far behind. So at the end of the day I opted to start using SGC because I liked how the cards looked in their holders the best. Especially pre 1980 cards. Overall I've been happy with SGC. Just recently the turn around times have gotten longer. I understand the volume they receive, but if i pay for a 10 day service and it takes 20, then I'm not happy. Last time they issued me a $10 credit and said it took longer due to the 20% special they had going. This time it took 20 days and there is no special. So again, I overpaid.

Again, i understand that PSA and SGC both have tons of volume. At least PSA addresses the situation and admits they are woefully behind. Sgc should either refund the difference automatically if a 10 day submission turns into 20 days, or address it on their website during the submission process. I'm ok even it takes 12-14 days. But when you get to 20 after paying for 10 days it needs to be addressed.

As far as my jordan card, I know graders have bad days. I know they miss things. But when a modern card that isn't even the shape of normal card comes back as trimmed it makes you question things. Especially when you personally opened the pack and put the card directly into a top loader where it has lived for over 20 years. I should have the cards back by Friday. Ill.post pics and maybe you guys can help make sense of it. I will also be sending an email to SGC. I demand an explanation .

Thanks again for your guys input. I joined these forums to learn and talk about the hobby we all love. You guys are all fantastic.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Even if SGC turnaround times have gone from 10 days to close to 20, isn't that still a lot better than PSA's 120 days? Just saying'

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to SGC's website, the Great Magnificence is coming! It's going to be greater and more magnificenter than any other great magnificence in the history of above-average size positivity. Anyone doubting either the greatness or the magnificentness will rue the day!

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    According to SGC's website, the Great Magnificence is coming! It's going to be greater and more magnificenter than any other great magnificence in the history of above-average size positivity. Anyone doubting either the greatness or the magnificentness will rue the day!

Arthur

It's been coming for months now. So far all I've seen is a new holder label and longer turnaround. And now I'll add calling a card trimmed that I personally opened and have owned for 23 years.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

I sent a 69 Mick one white one yellow both came back as not authentic.I bet if I was one of the bigger time spenders the cards would have been graded.Pisses. me off.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

@fiveniner said:
    I sent a 69 Mick one white one yellow both came back as not authentic.I bet if I was one of the bigger time spenders the cards would have been graded.Pisses. me off.

I've often wondered if big spenders got grade bumps/more leniency.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

Back in my early days of grading cards (~2005) my grades popped and my 1970 Topps Seaver was graded "evidence of trimming". Before it was shipped to me I called PSA and explained that I had personally pulled it from a pack and asked for them to reconsider. To their credit, the next day the grade was change to a 9.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    To their credit, the next day the grade was change to a 9.

Wow that's excellent! Although, l'm not sure something like that would happen today.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Yeh, but we are the ones who pay for the mistakes.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remedylane said:

@fiveniner said:

I've often wondered if big spenders got grade bumps/more leniency.

A common bit of conspiracy theory. The answer is no, they do not.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

This is the card that came back as trimmed.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 2:37PM

If the grade don't fit, you must crack and resubmit.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Grades have been very very tough lately

PackManInNC
  • Options

@LarkinCollector said:

Yeah, it's not a terribly valuable card. I thought it had a shot at a 10. At least a 9. I emailed SGC asking for an explanation since I personally opened the pack. If I crack it, I may send it to PSA. Maybe jump on one of these bulk submissions.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Not surprised.What pisses me off more they still charge you for the submission.
    I have sent pack fresh cards and they came back evidence of trimming or not size eqivelent
    Or counterfeit.How in the hell am I supposed to know the card is counterfeit?

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiveniner said:
    Not surprised.What pisses me off more they still charge you for the submission.
    I have sent pack fresh cards and they came back evidence of trimming or not size eqivelent
    Or counterfeit.How in the hell am I supposed to know the card is counterfeit?

This board is an excellent resource for stuff like that. If you've got a decent scanner I'd put the collective board's batting average at close to 1.000.

Arthur

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

;)

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Lol! One of you guys need to make that your avatar haha