Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1885-CC Morgan - To grade or not to grade? Back from PCGS MS64

mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 10, 2020 9:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have had this one for a while. It probably looks better in person than I can capture with an image. Again, I'd love the membership opinion on what is going on with this otherwise beautiful Carson City example. Small nick on reverse rim lines up with discoloration on front rim. The rim looks to be all there and in nice shape... just don't know what exactly caused imperfection and how grading service would look at this one.

Any membership opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Should go 63. Shot at 64.

Would the dark rim spot or nick concern you or keep you from submitting?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should grade.... as above.. 63 maybe 64... Good luck and let us know what happens. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it truly is a MS 63 or 64 it is an 1885 CC and you will profit by having it graded. Good luck; hope it scores high for you.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Should grade.... as above.. 63 maybe 64... Good luck and let us know what happens. Cheers, RickO

Thanks, have a number of coins I am thinking about submitting but was just a bit concerned about the dark spot and rim nick. Never having submitted before I'm not sure what to expect...

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should go 63. Shot at 64.> @mark_dak said:

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Should go 63. Shot at 64.

Would the dark rim spot or nick concern you or keep you from submitting?

Looks fine to me!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should grade MS-63. The mark in the left field and reed mark on the nose plus the scuffs on the lower cheek will limit the grade. I know the reverse looks near perfect, that will not increase the grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grade it. Im with the above MS63ish.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    It should grade MS-63. The mark in the left field and reed mark on the nose plus the scuffs on the lower cheek will limit the grade. I know the reverse looks near perfect, that will not increase the grade.

Naturally the reverse is beautiful... if i could only get her a nose job it might go up one grade. Nose marks are the most noticeable and will be an issue. Thanks for the opinions.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say MS-63 due to the ding and chatter...and...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gut was 64. Nice coin, I'd send it...

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call it a 63+. It's a really clean looking 63, but those reed marks are large enough and in the right spots to keep it from a 64 in my opinion.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in the minority but why get it graded, not a big spread worth the grading fees.
    Nice coin!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019 7:21PM

Im in the 63+ camp, and if your selling it on line (like ebay) , get it holdered, price realized will more than make up the difference as far as fee , have sold enough over the years raw and holdered to confirm that. If it were like a 62 or lower, then not so much

Honestly, I think its got a good shot at 4, the chatter on the obv is not on the face, its pretty clean, reverse is awesome. fresh and nice appeal.

• Options

@PTVETTER said:
    I am in the minority but why get it graded, not a big spread worth the grading fees.
    Nice coin!

I'm kind of in the 64 camp on this one, I've seen much worse 64's. I was kind of curious about the rim area. This is the first CC I purchased and just think it may make it an easier sale which I'm leaning to on this one. Also even though it's in an air-tite I think slabbing may help preserve it. Not sure, maybe you're right.

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    Im in the 63+ camp, and if your selling it on line (like ebay) , get it holdered, price realized will more than make up the difference as far as fee , have sold enough over the years raw and holdered to confirm that. If it were like a 62 or lower, then not so much

Honestly, I think its got a good shot at 4, the chatter on the obv is not on the face, its pretty clean, reverse is awesome. fresh and nice appeal.

The spot on the nose is probably the worst spot and does concern me... other reason why I question sending it in

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common dollar. Most of the 1885 CC Morgans in existence today are Uncirculated and a lot were in the GSA sales of the 70's and 80's (148,000+ representing over 65% of the years mintage.) With those type pictures you can expect $650 to $700 raw. If graded MS63/4 you can expect $675 to $775 or a bit more...
    Probably not worth grading if you are only sending in this one coin. Need to have many coins to spread the shipping and insurance.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Thank you for your opinion Bob, I would be sending in more than one coin but I figured I wouldn't see that much as a raw coin. If you're correct on that point and I believe you are correct on the graded price your argument makes all the sense in the world to me. Much appreciated to hear what all have to say.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad about the hits. But that’s the curse of many CC Morgans. I’d say 63 and to get it slabbed. Good luck!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weimans will clean that dark spot right up. I have coins covered in rim dings that have straight graded. Get her clean and you should be able to get a 63 out of her. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, keep us posted !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 obverse with a 65 reverse, so I am thinking you could squeeze a 64 out of it even with the rim chewed up a bit,

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obv is a ~63 and the rev is a 65+... To bad since it will probably just get a 63.

• Options

LCS finally has the ability to deal with our host directly. Thought about doing it on my own a cuople times but the form gave me a severe headache! Dropped off a few for grading... this being one of them. My first attempt at sending off coins to PCGS. The wait begins...

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I like it as a 64.
    Has the luster of a 65, but too much chatter

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Not sure why you didnt state the grade but i guess it went as a 63

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:

It graded a 64

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options

@stockdude_ said:

Dscoin is correct, came back as 64. As to why I didn't state the grade... well, no good explanation, sorry. You are correct to comment, my mistake. Again, thanks to those that took the time to look and comment because I was a little unsure about rim problems..Comments helped me in my decision.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:

@stockdude_ said:

Dscoin is correct, came back as 64. As to why I didn't state the grade... well, no good explanation, sorry. You are correct to comment, my mistake. Again, thanks to those that took the time to look and comment because I was a little unsure about rim problems..Comments helped me in my decision.

Hey its all good Mark, Nice coin by the way!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file