Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unusual Coin Creations

seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every once in a while you are at a flea market, a coin shop, or you catch a glimpse of something that was unusually created related to numismatics. I came across such a thing when I saw this dinner plate-sized 1914 Buffalo nickel. Totally weird.

Share your pictures or stories of your "unusual creation" coin-related item you have encountered.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Comments

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

That pie crust large cent thing has to take the cake.
    My jaw fell open the first time I saw one.

• Options

@23Pairer said:
    Someone spent some time cutting these out..............

I wonder what tools were used to do that! very unique, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool! What is that made of?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited March 8, 2019 11:59AM

@ChrisH821 said:
    Pretty cool! What is that made of?

Some sort of metal. Kind of like a copper and non-magnetic.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019 12:05PM

Cutout coin jewelry was popular in the 1970s. Practitioners used tiny files and Dremel-type power tools to do the cutout work. Some dealers had piles of this stuff on display,and a cut out was the common fate of almost badly worn large cent or half cent. Craftsmen charged based on intricacy of the work.

• Options

@LJenkins11 said:
    Does this qualify as an unusual coin creation? Often referred to as a wishing tree.

Wow!? What the heck? Does someone use a pocket knife to dig in there just right then stick the coin in? very peculiar! or perhaps while the tree was still living they pressed coins in and it eventually the tree grew over the coins?

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Cutout coin jewelry was popular in the 1970s. Practitioners used tiny files and Dremel-type power tools to do the cutout work. Some dealers had piles of this stuff on display,and a cut out was the common fate of almost badly worn large cent or half cent. Craftsmen charged based on intricacy of the work.

Thanks Roger, I kinda' figured something like that... thanks for the insight!

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a link to a news article regarding them. Appears to be the equivalent of a wishing well only these are hammered into a tree.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036581/Mystery-wishing-trees-studded-coins-illness-away-sick.html

• Options

@LJenkins11 said:
    Here is a link to a news article regarding them. Appears to be the equivalent of a wishing well only these are hammered into a tree.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036581/Mystery-wishing-trees-studded-coins-illness-away-sick.html

A ha!!!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad those tree are already dead? ;)

• Options

@astrorat said:
    Here is the obverse of a double-dime cutout.

I guess there is no way of knowing whether that was a CC or not? Looks nice as a pendant though.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@astrorat said:
    Here is the obverse of a double-dime cutout.

I guess there is no way of knowing whether that was a CC or not? Looks nice as a pendant though.

Yes ... you can tell. It's an 1875-S, BF-13 die marriage. There is an 8 high in the denticles (below the 8 in the date). It's the only die marriage in the series with this specific misplaced digit. So, no CC.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cut out coins were popular some years ago, and still are to some extent. We have a major Garlic Festival here (largest in the country) every year and I have seen a booth selling these and actually demonstrating the work several times. So still some demand for them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

That wishing tree reminds me of the novel Moby Dick. In front of the entire crew, Captain Ishmael hammered a gold coin into the ship's mast and announced that whoever first spotted the great white whale would get the gold coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2019 1:30PM

@RogerB said:

I've seen it done. They actually use a jig saw with a very thin saw blade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the correction -- yes, small jigsaw blades were used by many. I vaguely recall from the 1970s of seeing husband-wife teams at a table furiously cutting coins in between coin collector customers. Bezels and chains for small gold coins were also popular.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2019 12:13PM

Tallest Coin Stacking Tower 10,611 coins
    Tallest Coin Stacking Tower With Minimal Coins. Huge tower built by me, 10,611 coins Weighing in at 73 pounds. 7 hours to build crazy One on top of the other

https://youtu.be/ldmxcbwNxcc

Editted to add- this was not by me :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@1630Boston said:
    Tallest Coin Stacking Tower 10,611 coins
    Tallest Coin Stacking Tower With Minimal Coins. Huge tower built by me, 10,611 coins Weighing in at 73 pounds. 7 hours to build crazy One on top of the other

https://youtu.be/ldmxcbwNxcc

Editted to add- this was not by me :smile:

Wow, too much time on his hands it seems if he is doing that?

• Options

@sellitstore said:

That is pretty cool. Would love to see the die that created it.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got one of those aluminum rye collapsible shot glasses. I think I dug it up detecting some time ago. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@sellitstore said:

That made me do a double-take. Pure rye! 🥃

• Options

No sir, can't have the impure stuff I guess.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Weird! The question is, why?

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not? Lol. I did not make them, but I think they are fun novelty. I have another set somewhere with an SBA.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston that's a cool video.
    Since I'm still struggling through post-adolescence I found that to be thoroughly enjoyable.

Here's my paperweight....

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Mom found this somewhere and picked it up for me. Pretty close rendition for lip gloss case from Avon.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever wonder where all the Bahamas $2 Flamingo coins went? Years ago I couldn't find enough of them for a cutout guy that told me he used a laser!

@RogerB said:
    Thanks for the correction -- yes, small jigsaw blades were used by many. I vaguely recall from the 1970s of seeing husband-wife teams at a table furiously cutting coins in between coin collector customers. Bezels and chains for small gold coins were also popular.

• Options

@CyStater I have never seen the two top pics before. What is the size of that “coin-tainer”?

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like they were made from British large pennies (not cents). These are about the size of a US half dollar.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    @CyStater I have never seen the two top pics before. What is the size of that “coin-tainer”?

Two large pennies and a half penny. Full disclosure I made it myself. :)

The opium coins I purchased out of a collection a few years ago. They are very well made.

• Options

@CyStater said:

@Hemispherical said:

The opium coins I purchased out of a collection a few years ago. They are very well made.

Thats neat! Do you have a vid you can share of the process?

• Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@CyStater said:

@Hemispherical said:

Thats neat! Do you have a vid you can share of the process?

Not at the moment. Maybe I will try.

• Options

I've seen a very large Capital Plastics Washington quarter "shaped like a head" holder with numerous uncirculated quarters in it. It must have been custom made. I'll have to dig up a picture to show. Have any of you seen oversized, custom Capital Plastics holders out there?

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@aspie_rocco I have those miniature US Coins from Philly Mint as a giveaway when you spend certain amount. I got them at their souvenir store in 2010.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Knell said:
    @aspie_rocco I have those miniature US Coins from Philly Mint as a giveaway when you spend certain amount. I got them at their souvenir store in 2010.

That is cool. The mint made these?

• Options

@asoie_rocco

Sorry, I thought what I got from USMint is the same miniature coins as posted here. Anyway, here is a sample of what I got from the mint...

I doubt the mint made this, but cool to have as freebie when you buy something as Philly mint back in 2010. I bought a few things at the Denver mint back in 2016 but no freebie.

Thanks.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco
    I typo your username in above comments regarding picture of USMint miniature coins. Thanks.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread! Love tokens would suffice in my opinion:

• Options

Compliments of LordM! :smiley:

• Options

@asheland said:

Compliments of LordM! :smiley:

Boy, if only these tokens could talk. Would be great to hear the story related to this love token from the 1830's you think?

• Options

Indeed so! They are little works of art.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file