Home Precious Metals
Options

So, Apmex BU ASE came scratched.

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Its fine, just talking:
My 3 ASE's came in, 17, 18, 19 packed in the same bag with about 10 copper pieces. Components in plastic bags, wrapped snuggly of course and then inside a box.
But the 2018 has a small scratch (not a ding) on the open area to the right of the figure. Two of the ASE's came in a flip in a sealed plastic bag, and the 18 was just in the plastic bag alone.

I'd think some dinging with the other contents and copper coins could occur but its not a true BU if it comes scratched. I'll let them know, but not going to bother returning one coin when the rest of my Dansco set isn't so pristine anyway. (They do sell in the Abrasions and Culled categories so a BU should not have a scratch.)

(I'll post the metal photos in the normal Friday new metal post.)

COA

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

A BU coin falls into the lower MS grades on the Sheldon scale. Sounds like you got a BU coin, unless you think it wouldn't grade at least MS 60.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm assuming you purchased the bullion ASE's and not the collector version with a m.m. If that is the case, minor scratches will only devalue your item very slightly (on eBay). Silver spot price, up or down, is the primary reason for change in value for bullion pieces like yours.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2019 10:18AM

Since APMEX does submit for grading it is safe to assume they sell raw coins individually that did not pass their own 70 grading.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "BU" and Apmex bit......I've been there. "Technically", it can still be a BU, but, they know better and they have sales where they will say something is "damaged" or "scratched", so, if you get a BU that is "damaged" or "scratched", I would contact them and do a return, as long as it isn't costly to you. If it is, I would express my disappointment with them and make my decision based on cost.

That said, someone grabbing from stacks of these, to put into single packaging, may be doing it so quick that they don't notice something like that, unless it were a grand canyon type of scratch across a main focal point of the coin.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's an example that you're putting in your album to look at with pleasure between the buying and the selling, just get a different one without a scratch.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2019 12:44PM

If you are OCD then send it back. Since you posted about it then you are OCD. Like me.

APMEX does very will with returns. Call them and explain what you have and want to return for refund or replacement. They will email you with return shipping label with authorization. When you ship it back email them with the tracking number and wait for the refund or replacement.

My 2 cents.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver is silver....dont lay for intangibles such as premium.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Very good stuff to know. Thanks all.

COA
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were a proof, I would (and have) returned it....A BU from Apmex, well, not unusual to detect a minor scratch... Cheers, RickO