Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972 and 1982 Kennedy Halves Missing Initials on the reverse...do these really have a premium?

I am a coin roll nerd, and I like Kennedy halves. I've found interesting things in rolls...including these. I'd love to hear some opinions...cherry pickers guide says they are the bomb. I'm skeptical. A penny for your thoughts...

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a "live one" out there who will pay a premium for cherry-picker items? Only the Shadow knows.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    nickelsciolistnickelsciolist Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2019 8:20PM

Man you guys sure know how to bust a fella's bubble,

Maybe I'll bury these in the back yard and make a treasure map for my Grandkids to be opened on my death.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Keep looking.....there are many interesting finds out there searching Kennedy’s. There are many “No FG’s” in various dates in the Kennedy Half series. I personally like the Kennedy.....especially the 64-68. I have two of the same year with the same die crack.....what a great find that was for me. I’m not sure what year they are off hand. Enjoy looking.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't the missing initials caused from filled dies? If so, then
    couldn't this occur with any date within the series?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never was interested in the missing initials Kennedy's...Though I am sure collectors do seek them. I have always liked the Kennedy half and have acquired several of the AH varieties...I do believe I have a date set as well.. at least up to 2010 or so... I may well have some missing initial coins in there... will have to check, always good to identify such coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    Aren't the missing initials caused from filled dies? If so, then
    couldn't this occur with any date within the series?

I believe it is due to polished dies. In that scenario, all coins from that polished die would be missing the initials.

• Options

@air4mdc said:
    Keep looking.....there are many interesting finds out there searching Kennedy’s. There are many “No FG’s” in various dates in the Kennedy Half series. I personally like the Kennedy.....especially the 64-68. I have two of the same year with the same die crack.....what a great find that was for me. I’m not sure what year they are off hand. Enjoy looking.

No fear, not discouraged from looking! Just found 18 Silver coins from 64-69 in two boxes, plus a few proofs and other interesting oddments. Very unusual, sometimes you can go through 4-5 boxes and find nada. Don't tell others but I am such a dork I like to keep the ones that turn red, black or grey. I just think they're cool, and maybe will do something with them like put them in interesting settings or embed them in furniture, decorative hangings etc. (I like woodcarving too).

• Options
    edited March 5, 2019 8:25AM

@air4mdc said:

Okay, now I'm back to being intrigued...

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/11/kennedy-half-dollars-missing-fg-on-reverse.all.html

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welllp, looks like I won’t be looking for no FG’s anymore...here’s a question, are there any particular clad varieties (ddo etc) that are actually financially worth taking the time to search for? It’s easy to quickly pick out silver or proofs or interesting errors if they turn up, but is it worth it to look for all the 1974-d’s and 1972’s to check if they are ddo’s?

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for the 1966 SMS. That's a better one.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965 to 1967 Business Strikes.
    And yes I have them in PCGS plastic.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always pull out anything 1970 or earlier for silver alone, but my main question is whether it’s worthwhile to search the varieties 1971 going forward. If so, are there particular varieties that you think are more worthwhile than others to search?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

1977-D has a really scarce and valuable DDO.

• Options

All, thanks for the many insights. Very enjoyable discussion.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Kennedy Half-Dollar no "FG" designer initials is the result of die over-polishing, it is a Die Variety and not an error. there are two which are quite popular in higher grades, 1966 SMS and 1982-P, and I think the 1972-D has gained recognition during the past 10-15 years.

• Options

@keets said:
    the Kennedy Half-Dollar no "FG" designer initials is the result of die over-polishing, it is a Die Variety and not an error. there are two which are quite popular in higher grades, 1966 SMS and 1982-P, and I think the 1972-D has gained recognition during the past 10-15 years.

I've found both the 82 and 72. So what kind of premium do you think is warranted for one in decent shape? Or perhaps let's ask...what have you ever sold or bought one for? I'm not in selling mode here, just curious.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 8:50AM

I purchased a 1972 D FS-901- NO FG in MS 63 graded by PCGS. It currently resides in my registry set. There are currently only 4 coins in the MS63 grade and only one graded MS64 with none higher by PCGS. I paid after all was "said and done" plus buyers fees and etc. at $1270.00. This coin is priceless to me. Get those 72 d coins graded. A PCGS graded MS40 has a list price of $275.00. The MS63 lists at $1500.00 and the MS64 at $2150.00.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Well. Another country heard from! Glad I asked!

Sounds like good advice.

• Options

research these coins as there are many "enhanced" coins for sale. If you pull the coin from a roll search, examine it closely under magnification and then decide if it is or is not. GET IT GRADED! P.S. if you find an uncirculated bank roll of missing fgs, save one for me. my address is....

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Clarification: When I say a roll, I mean a box from the bank, so these are circulated coins. But as you can see from the pics, in decent shape.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2019 11:26AM

So, looked at these with a friend from our local club, also a dealer at local shows, who recommended against grading due to their circulated condition probably cost almost as much to grade as their would be worth, but he did a say he keeps similar condition specimens in his stock and they typically fetch in the $50-100 range at shows. Not bad return for a 50 cent investment.

Worked pretty hard to find them though, so I figure I earned it!

• Options

@nickelsciolist said:
    So, looked at these with a friend from our local club, also a dealer at local shows, who recommended against grading due to their circulated condition probably cost almost as much to grade as their would be worth, but he did a say he keeps similar condition specimens in his stock and they typically fetch in the $50-100 range at shows. Not bad return for a 50 cent investment.

Worked pretty hard to find them though, so I figure I earned it!

ebay has this listing. put it into a search and see what they want for this coin in this grade.
    1972-D Kennedy Half Dollar PCGS MS-62 "NO FG" (FS-901) Mint Error

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I see a Mint coin has very high value, which is cool.

I see some circulated coins listed at 250-300 with no bids. Another that is graded bid up to 71 bucks. Costs 50 bucks to grade the coin. Also an 82 no fg priced at $9.50

I sure wonder who is bidding :wink:

I'm wondering what bids I'd get if I put an ungraded coin out there at 50 bucks?

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nickelsciolist said:
    I see a Mint coin has very high value, which is cool.

I see some circulated coins listed at 250-300 with no bids. Another that is graded bid up to 71 bucks. Costs 50 bucks to grade the coin. Also an 82 no fg priced at $9.50

I sure wonder who is bidding :wink:

I'm wondering what bids I'd get if I put an ungraded coin out there at 50 bucks?

Put one out there at .99 no reserve auction and see how it goes. You have nothing to lose since it only cost you fifty cents.

• Options

try and see but make sure you include a sharp pic of both sides of the coin. Hazy, blurred coins to me personally become suspect. Include a close up of the area where the "FG" should have been.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I bought a 82-P no FG at a show Sunday for $4.

• Options

@mannie gray said:

what was the grade of the coin, certified or circulated ( in your opinion)?

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@mannie gray said:

63ish.

• Options

@mannie gray said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@mannie gray said:

63ish.

I looked up the value(s) of a Pcgs MS58 and a MS62 for the 82 P no FG. The range is $22.00 for the MS58 and $30.00 for the MS62. So I also would not have the coin graded due to the cost. I still say that the 72 D and the 66 P SMS no FG are the coins to hold onto and worth the cost to have them graded.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

I looked up the value(s) of a Pcgs MS58 and a MS62 for the 82 P no FG. The range is $22.00 for the MS58 and $30.00 for the MS62. So I also would not have the coin graded due to the cost. I still say that the 72 D and the 66 P SMS no FG are the coins to hold onto and worth the cost to have them graded.

I'm thinking the same way. I'm curious to see where these 72s might come out for grade. Thought I must confess I am still confused by the grading standards and how to get a ballpark idea of what a coins grade is.

Mannie G. would you have paid more for that coin if it had been better quality? Just curious.

Also wondering about the whole "weak strike" idea. Some of the 82s just have a small curved line...kind of interesting to me, but probably not to more serious collectors.

• Options

Maybe a bit more but not much.
    They were quite popular but are a tough sell these days (for me, anyway.)

• Options

weak strikes to me , do not equate to a "no fg" strike. It might show the progression of a coin becoming a no "fg" coin, but it is no where the coin I desire nor would I pay anything above face value for it in its graded state. I have never personally seen a PCGS coin graded as a Weak "fg" strike. Please enlighten me if you have.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I would not presume to enlighten anyone on this topic, I am just a distracted old guy in Minnesota who occasionally likes to waste and hour or two looking through rolled coins from the bank.

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I still need a 1972 D No FG for my registry set and would be quite interested to see what you have. I am in eastern South Dakota. Wonder if a road trip is on the horizon. PM me.

• Options

@smalltime said:
    I still need a 1972 D No FG for my registry set and would be quite interested to see what you have. I am in eastern South Dakota. Wonder if a road trip is on the horizon. PM me.

Well, let me know if you're ever in town.

• Options

@nickelsciolist said:

@smalltime said:

Well, let me know if you're ever in town.

Great Collections is now offering a MS63 graded coin with a starting bid of $1,120.00
    PCGS current value is $1500.00
    Item # 720511
    The listing ends 6/30/19
    There are still only 5 coins in the MS63 grade with only 1 graded higher in a MS64.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. These guys are brutal but they are also kind and knowledgeable. I too am kinda new and find for the most part they are wonderful 🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Welcome to the forum. These guys are brutal but they are also kind and knowledgeable. I too am kinda new and find for the most part they are wonderful 🙀jzyskowski

Haha, yeah it's a really fun site.

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

>

Great Collections is now offering a MS63 graded coin with a starting bid of $1,120.00
    PCGS current value is $1500.00
    Item # 720511
    The listing ends 6/30/19
    There are still only 5 coins in the MS63 grade with only 1 graded higher in a MS64.

...hmmm. I don't have a great eye for ballparking on grade, but I would think these coins are all in the EF-45, AU-50 range. As I said , I picked them out of rolls, Lord only knows where these poor things have been.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file