Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions requested on 1909-S VDB

robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have recently added this 1909-S VDB to my set. I love the colors, love the character and love the fact it is still in a Rattler.

The wood grain effect is so strong it looks like it was actually struck in wood in some areas.

What do the members think the railroad tracks or stitches across Abe's neck is caused by?

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had to guess I would say that it WAS struck through wood or something else.

Love it, by the way.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some really small struck-though is the only thing I can think of.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly different, and the rattler adds some cool factor.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the same "zipper effect" from Abe's chin to the date and maybe on Abe's shoulder??

• Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Looks like damascus steel.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Josh32 said:
    Looks like damascus steel.

I didn't know what that was until I googled it. You are spot on. It looks very much like that.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alloy not fully homogeneous.

Collector, occasional seller

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful cent, stitches and all :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, appears to be toning on the surface that differs from the other areas. Love the coin BTW.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice cent!

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some weird toning to me. Who knows from what? The reverse is lovely. That toning on his neck would personally cause me to pass on it.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 2:56PM

My guess has me thinking that because of the presence of wood grain toning, maybe a thin track of lamination thinking about lifting?

Neat coin, thanks for sharing.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funky toning or a crappy Gillette®

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coin, great eye! Is the 65 Brrown grade listed on the Trueview new? I saw folks requested this to be done so is it you or PCGS who put it there?

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care about cents at all, but I would love to own that one! Great coin!

@WaterSport said:
    Amazing coin, great eye! Is the 65 Brrown grade listed on the Trueview new? I saw folks requested this to be done so is it you or PCGS who put it there?

WS

It hasn't been TrueViewed. It's my photo.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contrary to what your eyes tell you, this cannot possibly a nice or desirable coin. No CAC.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't look like just a toning effect so I wood think :) it was a nice struck through.
    Nice coin.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a nice Lincoln cent... I see no wood grain... and I cannot identify the effect on the neck...Cheers, RickO

• I'm not a metallurgist, but my guess would be that the same effect that caused the woodgrain on the upper right obverse field and devices caused the 'stitches' you note. Since the alloy looks to be homogeneous on the lower left part of the obverse, perhaps the stitches are where the alloy went from nonhomogeneous to homogeneous. Think of the transition as being a layer and when cooled it crystallized to look like stitches instead of woodgrain or even just a straight line.

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Forgot to add, I think a beautiful coin that I would be very happy to own!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was in the planchet before striking. Very cool coin.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating surfaces and not just along the neck!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Woody, and given that it's both an '09-S VDB and in a rattler makes it even more special.

Clearly Dr. Frankenstein was in town. Either that or Abe decided to go Goth for a while...

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

" What do the members think the railroad tracks or stitches across Abe's neck is caused by? "

Toning

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what causes it but I have seen it in other cents along the jaw/beard line.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Superb specimen. If anything, rather unique, in a VERY eye appealing way.

Believe the other posters are correct, "railroad tracks" are the mix of the alloy in your planchet that is adding the beauty of this S VDB.

Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Your penny looks quartersawn. :)

Beautiful coin. Can't say I've seen a better looking S-VDB. Congrats!

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a Penny!

@TheRegulator said:
    Your penny looks quartersawn. :)

Just like Tiger oak.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it look raised in hand? I looks flat to me. I'm thinking that it is a weird toning pattern.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abe had an anterior discectomy?

Great Lincoln!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

@cameonut2011 said:
    Does it look raised in hand? I looks flat to me. I'm thinking that it is a weird toning pattern.

Looking through the loupe it looks flat with the light in some positions and raised in others. The area it is in is relatively raised anyway because of the beard and neck.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick up Robec. Very interesting coin that you can study for hours to understand the toning and the pattern on Lincoln's neck.

GREAT photography, especially in an OGH.

OINK

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a long series of tiny laminations caused by a flaw in the metal that was stretched out during the rolling process.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Great pick up Robec. Very interesting coin that you can study for hours to understand the toning and the pattern on Lincoln's neck.

Boy, that's for sure. It's a smorgasbord of assorted patterns and toning.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an attempt was made to garrote old Abe.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@WaterSport said:

WS

Superb photography!

@asheland said:

@robec said:

@WaterSport said:

WS

Superb photography!

Thank you, I appreciate that.

• Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@robec my guess would be improper mixing of the metal which explains it's damascus steel look. Damascus is basically 2 different types of steel layered together and folded on itself over and over. That explains the repetitive pattern look.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Lincoln were as pretty as that coin he'd have fathered better lookin' children.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I love the coin and the photography is fantastic.

I cant add much to the discussion regarding the cause of the unusual anomalies. I've seen "woody" Lincoln cents before but not anything quite like this one. When alloy mixing affects the appearance of a coin, it usually isn't a positive but in this case, it looks really cool!

As others have mentioned, when you have something like this and it is in a desirable holder and a highly sought date, it is almost like hitting a numismatic jackpot.

Exceptional acquisition and a very interesting coin. You will likely never get tired of looking at it and my guess is it will be a great subject for more photography too. Congrats Robec!

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful S-VDB

Trade $'s
  • LCSLCS Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

The "zipper" effect was a 2004 movie featuring Matt Damon...

Actually, it is due to an alloy mixing issue. I have a similar yet different 09...

I will post a pic if you wish...

@LCS said:
    The "zipper" effect was a 2004 movie featuring Matt Damon...

Actually, it is due to an alloy mixing issue. I have a similar yet different 09...

I will post a pic if you wish...

Would love to see it. Abe would love the company.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file