Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Allow Me to Introduce Myself...

Hello All. My name is Todd Tobias, and I am a PSA employee. My responsibilities range from dealing with the CollectibleFacts area of the website to writing for SMR and the PSA blog, and other areas in-between. I am also going to begin spending some time moderating the Forums, and wanted to take moment to introduce myself.

I got my first baseball cards when I was five years old when my dad bought my cousin and I each a box of 1978 Topps to keep us occupied on a motor home trip from San Diego to Montana. I was instantly hooked, and have collected in one form or another ever since. Until roughly 1998, I collected baseball cards, gloves, bats, and most anything that caught my eye and I could afford. I made a major shift after that when I became interested in the American Football League. That completely changed the direction of my collecting, and I have been involved in that area of the hobby ever since. My main passion is autographed trading cards, and I have been working on autographed AFL sets for quite a while. I also love the sport of lacrosse, and have been picking up various lacrosse cards and postcards for the last several years. When I'm in the mood for some junk food-type collecting, I will pick up some Pro Set football and search for errors and printing variations.

In terms of my professional background, I was the curator of the San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum, before branching out on my own to do sports-related project work for teams and athletes in the San Diego area. I have written two books about various eras in SAN DIEGO Chargers history, and maintain a website called Tales from the American Football League. My most recent AFL-related project was managing a campaign to get former Chiefs safety Johnny Robinson inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and I am proud to say that he will be receiving that honor this summer.

So that is a bit about me. I know that we have some incredible collections within this community, as well as people who are just beginning their journey in the hobby, While I won't be able to dedicate all of my time to the Forums, I hope that I can be a positive influence and help things run smoothly. Feel free to reply here or drop me a line at ttobias@collectors.com if you would like to chat. I always enjoy speaking with fellow collectors.

Thanks, Todd

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Nice to meet you, Todd. You have your work cut out for you with this crowd.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Todd

Thanx for the intro.

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard, Todd! Great to see you over here!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 9:03AM

Welcome!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Todd! As a lifelong Chiefs fan I have known Johnny Robinson belonged in the HOF for years.
    May I say congrats to you for managing a campaign to get him elected. He is well deserving, a great player
    and a great person off the field also.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arthur

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will you be going back and pardoning past members and letting them back on the boards, lol??

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, Todd!

Andy

Andy

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Will you be going back and pardoning past members and letting them back on the boards, lol??

I'd say Bobby has paid his debt to society.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard Todd! Great last name btw

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Todd!

Nic

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Welcome Todd!

Rick

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, you're supposed to say "Allow myself to introduce...myself".

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    By the way, you're supposed to say "Allow myself to introduce...myself".

Not according to Humpty Hump

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Todd.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Todd, nice to meet you!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard!

Steve
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Todd!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Todd!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and your collections. Let me try to answer a few of the questions posted...

@PROMETHIUS88 - I don't know. Too early to say and I don't yet know personal histories or why people may have deen banned.

@Rttrffg2012 - I can't really answer that as what I do for PSA has absolutely nothing to do with grading. What I can say is that people are diligently working on the issue. I understand that is probably a lot less than you would like to hear, but it is the truth. There are a lot of good people at PSA, they recognize the issue, and are trying to develop a solution.

@MLBdays - LoL. Yeah, that Dolphins game was incredible. No one should have had to lose that one! As far as lacrosse cards, there are no sets from the 1960s. Beyond the early tobacco sets, there are mostly individual cards that represent lacrosse, both in multi-sport sets and in native american sets. There is very little documentation about lacrosse sets in the hobby, so I am kind of learning as I go, finding things with random eBay searches. It's been a lot of fun!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

welcome

AFL guy nice

So who in the old AFL besides robinson is HOF worthy? Anybody you would put in if you voted??

We on these boards felt he was so deserving

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the family. Pull up a chair, kick back and enjoy the show.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? - welcome - :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2019 11:23AM

Hello Todd,

I knew you once, but then you ran away...…. Hope to see you in Chicago

…..actually I used to post here but then I RAN away.... :wink:

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Todd 🍻

• Options

Thanks again, guys!

jay0791 - Oh boy, there are many AFL players that at least deserve serious consideration by the HOF voters, if not outright induction. Among the names on that list would be Walt Sweeney, Jim Tyrer, Ed Budde, Winston Hill, Lionel Taylor, Art Powell, Clem Daniels, George Saimes, Charlie Hennigan, Dave Grayson and others... There also a number of guys who had dominant periods as AFL players, and I believe would have been slam dunks but their careers were likely too short - Cookie Gilchrist, Earl Faison, Tom Sestak, Ernie Ladd and more.

lostdart58 - Thanks, Jami! I miss talking autographs and seeing your new additions. If I am not in Canton at Johnny's HoF induction, I will definitely be at the National and would love to catch up! Why do they have to both be on the same weekend?!?!?!

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Is this like a plus 1 and plus 2

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi Todd, my name is Mike...welcome. :)

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Thanks again, guys!

jay0791 - Oh boy, there are many AFL players that at least deserve serious consideration by the HOF voters, if not outright induction. Among the names on that list would be Walt Sweeney, Jim Tyrer, Ed Budde, Winston Hill, Lionel Taylor, Art Powell, Clem Daniels, George Saimes, Charlie Hennigan, Dave Grayson and others... There also a number of guys who had dominant periods as AFL players, and I believe would have been slam dunks but their careers were likely too short - Cookie Gilchrist, Earl Faison, Tom Sestak, Ernie Ladd and more.

lostdart58 - Thanks, Jami! I miss talking autographs and seeing your new additions. If I am not in Canton at Johnny's HoF induction, I will definitely be at the National and would love to catch up! Why do they have to both be on the same weekend?!?!?!

Todd,
    There is no doubt that Jim Tyrer deserves to be in the HOF. I understand the tragic ending of his life, but the HOF writers and the NFL need to honor him. With what we now know about CTE and the mental health of players, Jim Tyrer definitely needs to be honored.

• Options

Thank you for that. The Talk of Fame Network guys were huge supporters of Johnny Robinson during our campaign. They know their stuff.

Here is a comparison I did on Jim Tyrer on my website:

http://talesfromtheamericanfootballleague.com/a-hall-of-fame-comparison-jim-tyrer/

I'm not sure if Tyrer will ever overcome the situation of his death to earn HOF induction, especially with so few members of the senior nominee list being allowed in each year. Sadly, i think a major change in the voting process, perhaps similar to what the Baseball Hall of Fame did with the Negro Leaguers, will have to take place for many of the worthy AFL players to get the recognition they deserve.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome !

But now I have The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil stuck in my head
    (Please allow me to introduce myself . . .)

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw this morning that BBCE has a couple 1910ish lacrosse cards posted! Just want to pass along 🙂

• Options

I saw them pop up on my searches today. Thanks!!!

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    I saw them pop up on my searches today. Thanks!!!

You’re Welcome!

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Thanks Todd, for you work here! :smile:

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Hi Todd, will you be handling posting and responding to Instagram and Facebook posts as well? Huge PSA followings on those two apps

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

@dtkk49a said:
    Hi Todd, will you be handling posting and responding to Instagram and Facebook posts as well? Huge PSA followings on those two apps

Hi! Nope. Our social media accounts are handled by Ryan Gaeta. Good dude. I'll just be moderating the forums.