Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the overall demand for modern gold coins and silver coins increasing or decreasing?

Is the overall demand for modern gold coins and silver coins increasing or decreasing?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably.... :D I voted, but results show zero... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it go up and down with the overall demand for PM which can be negatively correlated to stocks?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the mint's production/sales to see.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decreasing

There's too much vig associated with coins as a way of trading PMs. It is much more cost effective to trade PMs electronically in the market. That leaves physical coins for two groups:

1. Collectors - a possibly/probably shrinking group
    2. The doomsday preppers (I mean this in the kindest way) who want to hold physical metal in case of disaster. [By the way, I'm not trading my bullets and canned beans for a truckload of gold if that happens.]

Gold and silver are both sufficiently plentiful for actual industrial demand. It is only hoarding that makes them appear more valuable or scarcer than they are. Especially gold where almost 90% of demand is actually cosmetic and therefore elastic.

The very existence of gold (and silver) as a "store of value" is really due to a natural history curiosity that has managed to persist for millenia. The discovery of gold (and silver) as unalloyed metals in nature preceded the technology necessary to refine metals. Only the platinum group metals (gold, silver, platinum) are found in nature as unalloyed metals. This is a quirk of nature. So ancient man found these shiny rocks in stream beds and decided they were unusual and valuable.

Throughout most of human history, iron was a far more useful metal. But the psychology around gold persisted for millenia before anyone found an actual industrial use. 100% of gold use for the first 4000 years of human history was strictly cosmetic.

I find it fascinating...

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither are real "coins" or usable as money. Thus, it hardly matters at all.
    ;)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increasing

ill stick to playing with my yo yo's. its up one day and down the other

• Options
    Decreasing

@RogerB said:
    Neither are real "coins" or usable as money. Thus, it hardly matters at all.
    ;)

Technically a $50 gold eagle could be spent as $50

• Options

NCLT

• Options
    edited February 22, 2019 1:42PM
    Decreasing

@RogerB said:
    NCLT

You are thrusting too much subjectivity into the question. There are also bullion coins as part of "modern gold" which, while they do not circulate, are both real "coins" and are usable as "money" either at face value or as bullion.

• Options

They remain "non-circulating legal tender." ;)

• Options
    Decreasing

@RogerB said:
    They remain "non-circulating legal tender." ;)

yes...but still "legal tender" and COULD be spent

• Options

Agreed --- however financial practicality empowers the "non-circulating" part. That makes them commercial "coins" in title only, as they make no contribution to daily economic activity.

But - some are pretty; and they are shiny, too. :)

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no doomsdayer. Shoot, I don't mind living on a thin crust of dirt covering a huge mass of molten rock.

Doomsday....Shmoomsday. ;)

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget that the "legal tender" status can have good taxable treatment.
    Check which ones aren't subject to .."reporting." B)

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 3:32PM
    Increasing

I think demand is increasing, while maybe some premiums are decreasing.

What is WAG?

Well ah guess? (With southern drawl)

Edit to say, yes my opinion is a wild ass guess

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:

What is WAG?

WAG is Wild Ass Guess

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think flipper demand for modern coins is increasing, but not so sure about actual collector demand.

If it were not for eBay flippers, HSN aggressive marketing, and 70 grade registry collectors, actual demand of modern gold and silver coins sold would be pretty low.

First spouse gold as an example with a steady decline from 15-19,000 at the start to approximately only 2,000 sales for recent ones at the end of the series.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2019 4:02PM
    Increasing

@Goldminers said:
    I think flipper demand for modern coins is increasing, but not so sure about actual collector demand.

If it were not for eBay flippers, HSN aggressive marketing, and 70 grade registry collectors, actual demand of modern gold and silver coins sold would be pretty low.

First spouse gold as an example with a steady decline from 15-19,000 at the start to approximately only 2,000 sales for recent ones at the end of the series.

Not to derail the topic, but who was the target audience or consumer for the first spouse series? Who picked that concept?
    Dead horse I know. Would not reproduced early commemoratives have been way cooler? Or almost anything else more appealing?

• Options
    Decreasing

@Aspie_Rocco said:

What is WAG?

Edit to say, yes my opinion is a wild ass guess

So, your theory is that the increasing demand is causing a DECREASE in price...

• Options
    Increasing

Decrease in premium, not necessarily price, the premium or difference of melt value to final purchase price may be shrinking for lower grades or the largest populations of gold and silver coins. What I meant to say but did not explain relates to the “down market”
    I think demand for gold and silver are healthy in general. I do not have hard fact to support that. I want more of both gold and silver, at least.
    With premiums down, I guess my supposition there is hearsay, with talk of lower premiums now than in previous years.
    Like ms61 ms62 ms63 gold,
    Ms65 Morgans, etc.

• Options

RE: "who was the target audience or consumer for the first spouse series? Who picked that concept?
    Dead horse I know. Would not reproduced early commemoratives have been way cooler? Or almost anything else more appealing?"

A member of Congress proposed the legislation and the rest of the sheep followed over the cliff. There was no "target audience" or even a target or walmart or costco.... ;)

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

It is hard to determine whether they are increasing or decreasing, as I believe most who actually collect these modern precious metal based series have been narrowing their choices down. Most of the later dates-2006 to present- have 6 or more 1 ounce issues and I believe the 2006 has 9, if one would desire all 1 ounce issues in Platinum, gold and palladiom in the American Eagles and Buffalos alone. Add in fractional eagles, the spouses gold commems, and the 'special' issues, one would be well ove 6 figures ib bullion alone! Personally I have dropped back to the gold commems on the secondary marke as well as Now and then an eagle or buffalo at melt related prices. I do believe that higher bullion prices are necessary to light a fire under these.

• Options

Great info in this discussion

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 11:55AM
    Increasing

I sell many mod gold and silver coins at. shows and online. Recent sales: MS70 ASE’s $60-$75. Niue Hawksbill Turtle 1oz silver Turtle NGC MS69 $45, China PCGS or NGC silver and gold pandas MS 69&70, Tokelau NGC70 Horse 1oz silver $75, Panama ICG 1970 pan amer games 5 Balboa MS68 $50 (1.06 ASW super scarce this nice) and numerous US and mod world gold issues. These have done well and are collectibles for various types of buyers. With gold and silver rising these are super buys. These are a booming market. Also sold some 1 oz raw Niue Star Wars 1oz BU silver issues - Darth Vader and Storm Trooper. Really nice BU affordable coins.

At a shows I have one case which is stacks of graded Currency both US and world then in middle stacks of slabbed MWG, mod silver, and generic Dollars slabbed MS63-64. It’s a traffic stopper and generates sales.

Time to buy is now, metals market on way up, slabbed MS63 & 64 Morgan / Peace Dollars absurdly cheap not that far from melt. About what it would cost 2 people to eat. Frankly if u take est slab cost $30 plus melt $16 u get $46 which is around comx 63 Morgan dollar bid. Slabbed $20 Saints in 63 and 64 close to melt super deal too. Just pick nice BU lustrous coins / no spots. Working on box of 20.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decreasing

Decreasing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common gold $5 and $10 US commemorative coins represent, for me at least, a low premium means of adding bullion. I continue to purchase them for that purpose.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increasing

Huge demand for pre 2000 US gold bullion. Just sent off 30 pieces for grading, will be sold within days of getting back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file