Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sheesh... It must be poll day for me today.... General public coin recognition.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you showed a group of dimes to someone under 30 to pick one for themselves and the dimes were:
A Barber, A Mercury Dime, and a clad Roosie, do you think they would pick the silver ones?

Post what you think they would choose if you want to. :)

Sheesh... It must be poll day for me today.... General public coin recognition.

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a young gal a few years back that gave me a 1944 merc. with me saying " cool a merc dime" she said "a What" then said she would give me an American dime for it. I passed on it and walked away. have a good day all

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

They'll pick what familiar to them :)

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Roosie is all they know. They would probably think the others were fake.

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some people under 30 here - I suppose it depends on the grades and varieties whether the Roosie is a better deal than the silver coins.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Roosevelt Dime is like the cent. If you see one on the sidewalk, it has so little buying power that it might not be worth the bend and grunt required to pick it up.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Roosevelt Dime is like the cent. If you see one on the sidewalk, it has so little buying power that it might not be worth the bend and grunt required to pick it up.

Especially if some rotten punk had epoxied it to the sidewalk.

:)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those unfamiliar with coins would likely just pick the oldest date.... non collectors all think 'old is valuable' in just about anything... Cheers, RickO

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Mercury Dime would win over the young set for overall aesthetic appeal

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 8:51PM

No one alive has ever seen anything but a Lincoln cent... 110 years and counting.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 9:24PM

They would pick the Roosie, as they would go with the only thing that they know or have ever seen.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet on the Merc since the Roosy is common and the Barber ugly. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

OFR called. Qlicker wants his polls back.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine found a merc in a jewelry box. Was really excited, sent me a picture. She was probably disappointed that it was just a circulating dime worth about $1.50... Well, it used to be worth a buck and a half...

Same thing happens when someone finds a Morgan. "It's a hundred years old! It must be worth a fortune!" :wink:

• PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭

I remember the thread not too long ago about people being asked to pick between an ounce of silver and a hershey bar and most people picked the chocolate.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    A friend of mine found a merc in a jewelry box. Was really excited, sent me a picture. :wink:

I hope you scolded her for not posting big pictures of it here. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file