Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Four questions at 1:14 AM

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2019 2:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Why do New Orleans minted coins carry an "O" mint mark and not an "N"?

Why did a recent Ebay sale cost me $180 in fees when a dozen years ago it would have been $45?

It takes 2 pounds of Lincoln Cents to buy a pound of hamburger. Why are the coins still produced.

Why are drummers the only ones standing in a symphony yet the only ones sitting in a rock band?

Dayenu

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The N was being reserved for the possibility of a mint being in New York.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

D moved seamlessly from Dahlonega to Denver.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 2:59AM

Q number 2, I think I remember seeing the eBay stock went up today, thanks!

Q number 3, because hamburgers are good and we need something to do with those recently searched rolls. Bun pun intended.

Q number 4, guessing the symphony doesn't use the drummer for timing. Funny the symphony timer stands in front with a stick. The guy timing the band is behind with the sticks.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

To confuse you.

Why did a recent Ebay sale cost me $180 in fees when a dozen years ago it would have been $45?

Inflation.

It takes 2 pounds of Lincoln Cents to buy a pound of hamburger. Why are the coins still produced.

Lobbyists

Why are drummers the only ones standing in a symphony yet the only ones sitting in a rock band?

More active in faster paced music?

• Options

@1Mike1 said:
    The N was being reserved for the possibility of a mint being in New York.

That would be my guess as to the most likely explanation.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2019 3:23AM

@Coinstartled said:

Also why would Carson City be "CC" and New York only be "N" instead of "NY" or New Orleans only "O" instead of "NO" for that matter? Wouldn't it have been more fun to confuse collectors when they said their coin had "no" mint mark?

• Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is an orange? :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 8:39AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Also why would Carson City be "CC" and New York only be "N" instead of "NY" or New Orleans only "O" instead of "NO" for that matter? Wouldn't it have been more fun to confuse collectors when they said their coin had "no" mint mark?

Hey, I've got a 1982 penny with no mint mark. It's from New Orleans, right?
    10,000!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...what happened to the question about coach K??? ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Carson City couldn't be C, that's Charlotte

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

Didn't want to go OT.

;)

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Well, then why is Denver a D when Dalonagah is also a D????

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 10:43AM

This is speculation on my part, but there were on-going proposals for a mint in New York City. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

The cent has been an American coin since 1793 (1792 if you count the patters). Perhaps to avoid blow-backs, the mint has kept the series going, long after it has lost its buying power.

Percussion musicians in a symphony orchestra usually play a variety of instruments including several types of drums, cymbals, a triangle, tubular bells and other accentual devices. They need to be able to get up and move around to do that.

In a rock band, everything can be placed in front of the drummer. The role of the cymbal is also different and the base drum is struck by a pedal. Therefore he or she can or must sit.

As for Ebay, I've had little to do with it, so I will leave that answer to someone else.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, then why is Denver a D when Dalonagah is also a D????

The two mints operated in different eras. When the Denver Mint opened to strike coins in 1906, there is no way that the Dahlonega Mint would ever re-open. Dahlonega opened in 1838 and closed in 1861.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Didn't want to go OT.

;)

...fair enough...I dozed off with that question on my mind and dreamt up a perfect answer and immediately went to post it when I woke up...no worries, it wasn’t meant to be ;)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Didn't want to go OT.

;)

...fair enough...I dozed off with that question on my mind and dreamt up a perfect answer and immediately went to post it when I woke up...no worries, it wasn’t meant to be ;)

Try the ZION thread on the sports forum. The secret login code is ROMOSUCKS

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 2:54PM

I grew up near San Francisco and as a kid was told that on silver dollars the 'S' meant that it was made in San Francisco and the 'O' meant that it was made in Oakland, a city near San Francisco.

United States dollar 1896-O

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Coinstartled said:

The branch mint at Carson City, NV was operational from 1870 to 1885.
    The brance mint at Charlotte, NC was operational until 1861.
    It would be no different that Dahlonega, GA and Denver, CO both using the D mint mark but at different times.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i only sell my most expensive coins when e bay has their 10 dollar flat rate final value fee on any value promo

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
    1. My guess is also that NY was being saved, just in case.
    2. Increased dependence on eBay by sellers allows them to do this, and if they can make that money they will.
    3. Zinc companies have lobbied hard for keeping the cent.
    4. Because they are different kinds of drums in each.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Coinstartled said:

It would be no different that Dahlonega, GA and Denver, CO both using the D mint mark but at different times.

In effect it would have been no different. But which one (of two) is the anomaly. Also, not clear from those dates is whether or not the mint "existed" as an entity for a different time frame. When they were striking coins isn't directly the issue.

Of course, I'm not pretending to know the answer to any of these things. If you look at global mints, there is often no relationship between the Mint identifier and the city name. For example, Germany just uses the letters A through H which have no relationship to the city names.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Coinstartled said:

In effect it would have been no different. But which one (of two) is the anomaly. Also, not clear from those dates is whether or not the mint "existed" as an entity for a different time frame. When they were striking coins isn't directly the issue.

Of course, I'm not pretending to know the answer to any of these things. If you look at global mints, there is often no relationship between the Mint identifier and the city name. For example, Germany just uses the letters A through H which have no relationship to the city names.

Carson City Mint formed around 1863 - still after the close of Charlotte.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early to bed, early to rise ....
    Eliminates most of my "whys".

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Coinstartled said:

You misunderstand me. Carson City formed in 1863 after Charlotte CEASED operations. They may have still existed as an official entity. In fact, the 1863 date is awfully close to the 1861.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

Charlotte was still open as an assay office as late as 1913 per Wikipedia:

Federal troops used the offices for the first few years of Reconstruction. In 1867, the U.S. government downgraded it to an assay office due to a shortage of gold dust.[1] In 1873, the General Assembly of North Carolina petitioned Congress to reopen the mint at Charlotte. This request was denied.

The Assay office operated until 1913. From 1917 to 1919, the Charlotte Women's Club met in the building. It also served as a Red Cross station during World War I.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file