Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GRADES POSTED - Three HK-398 Panama Canal SCDs Back from ATS

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2019 7:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I purchased all of these within one week on eBay. All of them look much better in hand as my photography skills totally suck to say the least.

1: MS-63, NGC Pop 19 - This is the one with the misplaced partial digit above and to the left of the serial number, so it is unique. I knew this one would be MS, but not quite a 63.

2: MS-64, NGC Pop 40 - This one I thought would be a 62 or MAYBE a 63. I was pleasantly surprised.

3: MS-66, NGC Pop 8, none higher - I knew the moment I laid eyes on this one it was better. I certainly didn't think it would go 66, but you KNOW I did the happy dance when I saw it. A great registry piece.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65.
    MS64.
    MS65.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 3:32PM

1 MS64
    2 MS63
    3 MS66

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc details cleaned

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) AU
    2) XF
    3) 63

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Bumpage!

• Options

the last one is clearly the nicest and really clean.

the MS63(#1) medal looks like it has some strike weakness but I see it as nicer than the MS64(#2) medal, which I think probably graded higher because the tone obscures weakness and contact marks. they are all nice but I have a question --- Why do you waste your money on these??!!?? >:):D:pB) ROTFLMAO!!

• Options

@keets said:
    the last one is clearly the nicest and really clean.

the MS63(#1) medal looks like it has some strike weakness but I see it as nicer than the MS64(#2) medal, which I think probably graded higher because the tone obscures weakness and contact marks. they are all nice but I have a question --- Why do you waste your money on these??!!?? >:):D:pB) ROTFLMAO!!

You know, Al, I ask myself that question all of the time. I get on these kicks where I have to buy every single example in sight. You and I discussed this at the time I was buying these very medals. I just can't help myself.

Now I need to do some work to get a value for the MS-66.

• Options

it is hard to know about pricing but I will say that whatever you sell it for you'll come out OK. SC$'s seem to follow coins, collectors will pony-up for the highest grades. somewhere between $800-$1000 and maybe higher at the right venue, Stack's or Heritage.

a neat thing about it is the low number.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2019 3:39PM

@keets Low numbers don't come along that frequently. When I found these two, I was shocked no one had bid on them.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Bob... Good grades.... I did not get to GTG since I have been busy working...this work is interfering with my retirement... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko

Thanks, Rick. I guess it's now off to improve on the MS-66. The quest for a Pop 1 is on!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. Nice pieces.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are wonderful coins. Thanks for posting them. Great history.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that design.
    now say "isthmian" really fast 3 times.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guessed one correct and was off by a mile and a half on two.... They look great in the new holders!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 3:03AM

Great pieces @Outhaul! I've really enjoyed watching you build this collection. You have a great focus on these. The MS66 is killer!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 9:15PM

@keets said:
    it is hard to know about pricing but I will say that whatever you sell it for you'll come out OK. SC$'s seem to follow coins, collectors will pony-up for the highest grades. somewhere between $800-$1000 and maybe higher at the right venue, Stack's or Heritage.

People will definitely bid more for high grade So-Called Dollars.

As an example, I bid over $3k for this NGC MS65RB PL Pilgrim Jubilee and was left in the dust as it sold for over $4,500! A MS64RD sold for less than $500 in 2015 on Stack's.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1010613/strong-results-for-proof-like-pilgrim-jubilee-so-called-dollar-hk-14#latest

I like Stack's and think they have better photos, but I prefer Heritage because they have better archives, though Stack's seems to be improving in this area.

• Options

that Pilgrim is a good discussion point for why I can't buy anything anymore. the price paid, to my way of thinking, is just STUPID and I expect the owner will some day realize the error of his way and take the attendant bath. perhaps it is the color(I believe it was dipped), the PL designation(most Pilgrims have at least some degree of PL), the grade or a combination of the three. whatever it is I can't imagine the reasoning or logic behind the price realized.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file