Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I finally received a BAD Paypal 'e-check'......

thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank goodness it wasn't for 'REAL'money. The buyer paid with an e-check. That's happened quite a few times over the years. I live my life with the belief that people are basically good, so I don't punish e-check payers by holding up my shipping. Six days later, I get a notice from Paypal saying the e-check won't clear.
I wrote to the buyer, but nothing.
I was kind of surprised !

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

about the same as writing a bounced check. call paypal and get the buyers phone number

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    Thank goodness it wasn't for 'REAL'money. The buyer paid with an e-check. That's happened quite a few times over the years. I live my life with the belief that people are basically good, so I don't punish e-check payers by holding up my shipping. Six days later, I get a notice from Paypal saying the e-check won't clear.
    I wrote to the buyer, but nothing.
    I was kind of surprised !

How are you punishing e-check payers by asking them to live with the terms of their own payment choice?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, I hope it gets resolved in your favor !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the loss. Is liability in this type of case solely the sellers?

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you ship before it clears? Paypal actually tells you to make sure it clears before you ship.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always ship immediately if it's a repeat customer and not for a lot of money. Never had a problem.

New customers - they have to wait until it clears, and I always send them a memo about that just in case they weren't clear about PayPal.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

PayPal is not going to back you on this one. They are going to tell you that you should have waited for the check to clear. I hope all resolves itself in your favor. If PayPal forces an e-check there is usually (but not always) a very good reason and that reason would make me even more cautious than dealing with a paper check.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had an echeck clear very slowly this week. It may be a Paypal glitch as something is not right. Hope that you come out whole.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Had an echeck clear very slowly this week. It may be a Paypal glitch as something is not right. Hope that you come out whole.

Not gonna happen. The buyer got a gift! Sorry for your loss.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Why would you ship before it clears? Paypal actually tells you to make sure it clears before you ship.

Paypal will inform you when it's ok to ship out. If you abide by their notice, you are covered under PayPal's seller protection.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Yes, this one is my loss for sure. As I said, it's not a lot of money. All the more reason I was surprised, I guess.
    At least the buyer got an unpaid item strike, as I filed and completed a 'NPB'.
    Thanks for chiming in folks !

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should have contacted them first, they might have temporarily overbought before next paycheck and they would have been more willing to send you a money order or cash.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

One now has the option of recalling a trackable package thru USPS if it has not yet delivered. Not 100% but worth a shot if early enough.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 1:50PM

Had a couple die on the vine over time sold the coins to one's that didn't.
    BTW PayPal tells you when to ship.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that sucks. Let us know if you are made whole. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Well that sucks. Let us know if you are made whole. Peace Roy

Not covered if he shipped before PayPal gave the ok to ship and by his comments, he obviously did not.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@davewesen said:
    You should have contacted them first, they might have temporarily overbought before next paycheck and they would have been more willing to send you a money order or cash.

Of course I contacted him first. He ignored me, but I tried......

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of your loss.... I sell non coin items from time to time, and always wait for payment to clear....Even when I sold gold during the runup, always had bank confirmed before shipping. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file