Home U.S. Coin Forum

1932-D Washington Quarter Questionable Mint mark

A friend of mine ran across this coin, doubting the mint mark. I think he has good reason as the extra part of the D -to the NW- does not follow the contour of the curved part of the mint mark. The mintmark does seem to sit in a shallow recess like a normal '32-D mintmark, but the 'ejection doubling' - if that is the correct term, looks off. Please share your thoughts on it.

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine!

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert but that mint mark with the larger looking D to the northeast is a known variety, so I'm confident this is not an added mint mark example.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, in the 1970's one of this countries foremost authentication "Ex-Perts" had accumulated over a dozen of these genuine quarters as donations for the OIN counterfeit collection. We discovered his error when he loaned the collection to us for the ANA Summer Seminar. In actuality, these ejection doubled mintmarks are one of the diagnostics seen on many genuine coins.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint mark on lower grade1932-D quarters like this often look this way. The only scary thing about this one is the dark patch around it. It gives the impression of “added” when it is not.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This mintmark - as stated by experts above - is a genuine variety.... Cheers, RickO

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to mention that I did acetone the area to make sure ithe mint mark stayed on!
    The contour of it looked odd, hence the post.

Thank you for your comments and the education.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file