Options
My collection perspective
I’ve been putting my type set together for 8 years, adding 2 to 4 coins a year. My average coin value is mid-3 digit with my most expensive coin low 4 digit. Here are my (I’m sure to hear soon mostly uninformed) thoughts:
- No one forces me to buy raw vs. stickered, PCGS vs. NGC or CAC vs. non-CAC. I can see arguments for and against each depending on one’s perspective, objective and budget. My preference is PCGS/CAC but I understand how others come to different conclusions. Why do we repeatedly rehash these same issues when it’s personal preference and there is no right answer?
- I will never grade like someone who sees thousands of coins a year. I believe I can differentiate a MS63 and MS65 but doubt I can consistently do the same for a 64, 64+ and 65. So I leave that to the professional graders.
- I hope to not lose too much when I sell my collection. I expect to be at least 10-20% behind immediately after buying a coin (the dealer markup or auction premium). When I sell in 10+ years I hope the market level will allow me to recoup some of this. If not, it’s the price of the hobby.
- I try not to make the same mistake twice. Early on I bought coins that are now upgrade candidates. It’s been instructive to sell, with my average loss at 12.5%. Fortunately the coins weren’t expensive.
- I buy the coin AND the holder (and the book before either). The holder for authenticity verification and grade and the coin for whether it speaks to me.
- If something concerns me or just doesn’t seem right on a purchase I pass. There will always be a comparable coin (at least in my pursuit) available in the future. So if a coin’s color or surface seems questionable I pass. If I don’t understand the grade I pass. If a coin’s price seems high I pass. Etc.
- I collect for fun in a manner that gives me pleasure and love the coins in my collection. If someone chooses to collect differently that’s their choice and hopefully they get enjoyment from it. I don’t understand the animus that underlies many of our discussions.
25
Comments
Great post, well thought out. I like and agree with most of it, but I am not good with determining grade numbers.
I like stickers on the coins in my series that are actually eligible, which is sadly only a few specific years.
I do not place a large premium on stickers, maybe an extra $20-$40 at most.
https://www.autismforums.com/media/albums/acrylic-colors-by-rocco.291/
It sounds like you have your feet on the ground. I started collecting type coins in the 1960s when I was in high school. When I started working, I got more serious with a bigger budget. My upper limit was about $2,500 in the ‘70s and $4,500 in the ‘80s. That big number bought a 1796 Quarter that is now in a PCGS holder. I bought maybe two or three big coins a year.
I finished the type set from the half cent to $20 gold coins, according to the NGC registry, about four years ago. A lot of collectors get itchy to sell once they finish a set. Not me. I enjoy the research, the speeches before clubs and the exhibiting. Now I have branched out to British material and enjoy that just as much.
@LoveTypeCoins.... Welcome aboard. What a great, and firmly grounded, post. Excellent input and it mirrors my philosophy as well. I look forward to more of your inputs. Cheers, RickO
I sure can't argue with anything you wrote, although I have done better when selling some of my coins, but that's probably because I held them longer. The only reason I did sell some was to buy updates. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!
Pete
Louis Armstrong
Great post! Point #6 is excellent advice
Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck, airplanenut
Good post. I also sat down and wrote out my guiding principals before I began my quest of collecting all DBLC varieties. Maybe I'll post them one of these days...
Smitten with DBLCs.