Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How common is it for collectors and dealers to buy coins on credit?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I do not buy coins on credit........but possibly would be open to it if the right deal came along
which has never happened in my collecting career!

Here is a nice post by Jeff Garrett on the topic.

https://coinweek.com/opinion/expert-advice/jeff-garrett-million-dollar-handshakes/

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always paid cash,.... Of course I do not buy six figure coins....If I did, perhaps I would use another method. Cash works for me, fast and clean. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I had the shop, I also had a pawn license.
    I would regularly convert a purchase to a loan and then the buyer (pledgor) could stretch his eventual ...claim.. to whatever he wanted to.

Just a tweak to the operation.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that the larger auction houses often function as de facto lending institutions to both dealers and collectors. It would be interesting to know what percentage of their profits come from this.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

As collector I have used credit many times and never failed to fulfil my obligations and I have never paid 1 cent on interests. And love when PayPal offers 24 months with 0 interest... bought few expensive coins that way.

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    As collector I have used credit many times and never failed to fulfil my obligations and I have never paid 1 cent on interests. And love when PayPal offers 24 months with 0 interest... bought few expensive coins that way.

Hey I did not know that ! 😊

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 6:22PM

Really @bidask ? Maybe once every other month they do it on eBay. For expensive coins (expensive to me) it is easier to pay 200/month than 5k at once. And always end up paying in less than 2 years.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 11:01PM

I've done it.

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I have and will continue to buy coins with a handshake. If you trust the person selling and he/she trusts the person buying; it’s much less of a headache to buy the coins you really want

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like your article bidask, in my day a handshake was all it took.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not done it in a while but if the time came and something came up that I really wanted, I would consider making a payment arrangement if need be. That sfor me personally.

Now as far as the shop, I have two customers(more friends than customers) that have unlimited liquid funds, and I mean unlimited, that if I ever needed to cover a large deal fast, I can call them. (I would have to shoot them a favor, but they would do it without question.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Credit as in layaway terms ?

I do put stuff on layaway once in a while. If I stop somewhere and they had something unexpected I might say here is money can you hold that for me? I know a lot of dealers that would do that , put the coin in an envelope and write what you owe on it. Win-win for a dealer they have some of your money and still have the coin

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done it a couple of times using my personal card linked to PayPal. That's a rare move I save for pricey unexpected buys and then pay it all off in one shot.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

America would simply not function without credit, and the coin market is no exception.

I myself didn't know about the PayPal Credit function until about one year ago.

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Andy is correct about auction purchases. I very seldom have ANYTHING sold by the time the auction bill comes due. Your word is your bond, as they say. We typically give some terms (when needed) to good customers on certain purchases. We also buy more coins from both collectors and dealers because we PAY IMMEDIATELY. I can't begin to tell you about some of the biggest dealers out there who constantly ask for time or "hold" checks on their purchases.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cnncoins said:
    Andy is correct about auction purchases. I very seldom have ANYTHING sold by the time the auction bill comes due. Your word is your bond, as they say. We typically give some terms (when needed) to good customers on certain purchases. We also buy more coins from both collectors and dealers because we PAY IMMEDIATELY. I can't begin to tell you about some of the biggest dealers out there who constantly ask for time or "hold" checks on their purchases.

My cousin rents a house from me , I get a post dated check every month on the 1st. :D They do clear eventually , but some say the 7th and if it says the 7th don't deposit until the 10th is the rule.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 10:34PM

My SIL took a personal check for her but it bounced a couple times. A teller told her when the checkwriter's deposit would hit the bank and she was Johnny on the Spot to present and collect. The checkwriter was mad as a hornet, but SOL. My credit purchases have been limited to using a CC thru PayPal. PIF by the due date.

• Options

I can't imagine not knowing in advance how you are going to foot a million dollar purchase.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know how common it is, but I’ve heard of other dealers talk about their ‘line”.

In the past, I’ve had a line of credit for a few partnered buys before. Get it set up at a bank ahead of time for a few hundred a year. Then, if you need it, it’s handy and when you pay it off there is just a little interest on top. It’s not that much money if you can pay it off in a few days or a week. Just long enough to button up and sell a deal and pay off the line. Factor the interest in your buy price.

Personally, to keep track, I would never enter into more than one deal between payoffs. I could see a tangled web starting and I like order and apply my entire concentration to each deal before moving on.

I imagine it’s similar in other business models. The quilt shop next to me said they get a loan to buy fabric at market and hope to have it sold and paid back before the year is over, and my buddy with a tire shop surly has some credit for buying inventory. I don’t fully get that because I’m in service and not in retail.

I think the goal is to maybe start with one, build up your bankroll until you become your own line and cut the bank loose. I wouldn’t personally buy a coin for my personal collection on a credit card I couldn’t pay off in the first statement. The interest paid is just a silly self inflicted wound to something already expensive I don’t need in the first place, or what I read today that I liked, throwing more dirt on the burial, lol

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 11:09PM

When used responsibly, credit can be instrumental to collectors and dealers alike.

Those with a good credit score will pay low or no interest rates and only a nominal transaction fee.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    America would simply not function without credit, and the coin market is no exception.

EXACTLY!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 5:52AM

I've always maintained that when a person has debt and decides to purchase anything at all that is not expected to appreciate in value at a rate higher than the rate being paid on their debt rather than using their funds to pay off debt, that they are in essence paying interest on said purchase because their debt remains and continues to accrue interest until paid off. So I believe a healthy balance between the optimism of future appreciation of some assets vs enjoyment of the continuing depreciation of other assets is the order of the day.

So when looked at with this perspective the purchasing of coins (or anything that is a depreciating asset) with credit is very COMMON indeed. That being said and realizing that of course there are times when it's convenient to have the ability to use short term credit to "move things around" can be very helpful. I didn't realize that the 1% for 45 day deal was common. Used to be that 1% per month was a common sellers carrying charge in the pr-credit card days. There is always something to be learned here and that's why I keep coming back. The bottom line being, and I quote Mr. Garret: "Knowing how credit works in the business is just one more bit of important numismatic knowledge that can help collectors and dealers alike."

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a CC whenever possible for the cash back, never paid one cent in interest does that count?

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange but I don't think of using a CC as "buying on credit" any more. A CC has become an almost essential convenience, and then there is the recourse.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2019 9:05AM

@JimTyler said:
    I use a CC whenever possible for the cash back, never paid one cent in interest does that count?

I do as well. That's like 30 days same as cash. Short term temporary credit. If the merchant accepts it I use it, tho I've been known to pay cash or check too. I would rarely if ever pay a surcharge in order to use a CC.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector here, but cash or debit card only. Debt baaaad. Never for a hobby.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have done it a few times. No regrets but it's not as fun when I do it for collectors who ask me to get them something , and then they are slow, or no pay. Consequently I do it a lot less nowadays. My circle of trust is about the size of a button hole.

• Options

@joconnor said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    I would rarely if ever pay a surcharge in order to use a CC.

Whether it's as a line item or built into the sale price, you are ALWAYS paying a surcharge to use a CC.

True, but I would not pay an added charge. Some places have a cash price and a CC price. Usually a surcharge means an added charge. Can't ever recall using a CC for a face to face transaction. OTOH if I walked up to your table and asked for a discount for cash you'd probably tell me to pound sand or worse.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2019 8:58AM

Word of warning:

Ccedit is fine until TSHTF.

The bond market is usually the first to show cracks when yields significantly blowout/ widen especially on junk bonds.

Even investment grade yields rise when there are credit concerns in the market.

This has a nasty cascade effect on all equities especially those companies with weaker balance sheets.

Think 1990, 2008/9 and late 2011.

Prices fall dramatically.

Usually temporary because sentiment historically shifts again.

Rare coins easily will come same
    pressure......again .

Bad time to sell. Good time to buy.

Edit to add : Offering unsecured credit on coin purchases during these times can be a risky for the lender.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    I can't imagine not knowing in advance how you are going to foot a million dollar purchase.

Agreed. I think long and hard about anything over 800k.

I know how I'm going to pay the million dollar bill - with 100 $10k credit cards. Duh!

• Options

@bidask said:
    Word of warning:

Ccedit is fine until TSHTF.

"Credit" is not a thing. It's many things.

I can buy something - including coins - on 45 day (or 90 or 180) interest-free credit. I may even have the money in my pocket, but maybe I want to get the free float. Such "credit" is no riskier than paying cash, it's just a delayed cash payment.

From the dealer side of things, if I can get reasonable terms, why would I not buy $250k in saleable inventory with say <1% per month interest because I can sell the inventory and pay the loan and vig and make the profit. Not having the $250k inventory leaves me nothing to sell. Businesses do it all the time. It is a legitimate non-hobby use of credit.

Now, if you are talking about whipping out your regular old Visa and buying a $25k coin when you have $500 in the bank, then I agree with you. But that's really only one form of "credit"

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s funny you brought this up.
    I flew from California to Florida to the FUN show a month or so ago. Knowing I was going to probably the largest coin show around I figured I’ll just take my credit cards cause I didn’t want to pack a bunch of cash with me to the show. After all I was already packing my entire collection with me. I had planned on picking up a couple of coins while I was there but VERY few sellers would take or was even setup to take credit cards. Not having any options I was lucky enough to find a couple of sellers that would oblige me. Lucky for me my friend Andy was one of those sellers.
    What you do is pay it off right away.
    It’s a great ace in the hole if you need it.
    No problems here😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    It’s funny you brought this up.
    I flew from California to Florida to the FUN show a month or so ago. Knowing I was going to probably the largest coin show around I figured I’ll just take my credit cards cause I didn’t want to pack a bunch of cash with me to the show. After all I was already packing my entire collection with me. I had planned on picking up a couple of coins while I was there but VERY few sellers would take or was even setup to take credit cards. Not having any options I was lucky enough to find a couple of sellers that would oblige me. Lucky for me my friend Andy was one of those sellers.
    What you do is pay it off right away.
    It’s a great ace in the hole if you need it.
    No problems here😊

Except that I think the point of the OP assumes that you don't have the means to pay it off right away, but more likely that you EXPECT to have the means within a certain time period.
    I have a $30K HELOC Home Equity Line Of Credit, but I wouldn't use it to purchase a $20k coin unless I knew how I was going to pay it back in 30 to 60 days.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

TRUE STORY

About a month ago someone called me asking if I do terms on coins. I answered yes I do terms depending on the coin and the price. The person mentions the particular coin- one that was worth about $900. I said sure- what type of terms do you need?

$75 a month for 12 months.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a customer that's 3 payments away from finishing a $100 per month arrangement on a $1200 coin. I have several others that I allow unspecified layaway to and they usually have it paid in under 6 months.

@joebb21 said:
    TRUE STORY

About a month ago someone called me asking if I do terms on coins. I answered yes I do terms depending on the coin and the price. The person mentions the particular coin- one that was worth about $900. I said sure- what type of terms do you need?

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a mortgage or any other loans, then coins are being financed with debt. Mortgages may be "good debt" but is still money borrowed. I would expected the majority of collectors have some debt.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 8:04AM

@joebb21 said:
    TRUE STORY

Someone with a limited budget wanted one of your coins as his "prize" coin out of his typical budget. You should have done it. I've seen your inventory ( and maybe only a partial inventory you've listed on the BST), it would have been no big deal. Not like he wanted you to front him the coin.

• Options

@Nysoto said:
    If you have a mortgage or any other loans, then coins are being financed with debt. Mortgages may be "good debt" but is still money borrowed. I would expected the majority of collectors have some debt.

This is an excellent point that no one else has made yet.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:

In that case, so is every meal you eat and the clothes you wear, but that's not really the spirit of the question. The closest I've come to borrowing money to buy a coin was putting an auction purchase on a credit card to be paid at the end of the cycle. Borrowing to finance a hobby is a very slippery slope, especially if that hobby becomes an addiction.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    As Jeff explained, it's common.

As something of an aside, before we had slabs, I attended most major auctions, got 30 day terms to pay, and would typically have more than 80% of the coins sold before I had to pay for them. It was a great business model while it lasted. Today, I'm lucky to have 20% of my auction purchases paid before I have to pay for them, which takes a lot of the fun out of it. Interesting how times change.

Interesting......what do you feel accounts for this change the most MrEureka? Is it the liquidity that certified coins bring or something else?

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Personally I do not buy coins on credit........but possibly would be open to it if the right deal came along
    which has never happened in my collecting career!

Here is a nice post by Jeff Garrett on the topic.

https://coinweek.com/opinion/expert-advice/jeff-garrett-million-dollar-handshakes/

I have the cash, but I will use Paypal credit. No interest if paid off within the term. While I don't pay interest, it does tend to encourage me to overspend on shiney coins that i later regret buying.

• Options
    specialistspecialist Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Mr O Connor said: And yes, there are a few big dealers who habitually ask for credit, but the business we do makes it all OK.

I can tell you I use credit a lot when buying. I have too. Some my AR is through the roof! May sound strange, but show me a deal or collection and I can write a check. There is nothing dangerous (although every so often I get caught in a slow cycle), its a form of business.

However for collectors, they should never over stretch their budgets unless its a once in a lifetime coin.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 9:22AM

In the past, I have bought coins on credit, all worked out just fine.

Nowadays I run with a cash reserve to buy coins.

I am way more aggressive with my buying having cash on hand. Decisions are much easier.

Cash Is King.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Nysoto said:

This is an excellent point that no one else has made yet.

True, but most people feel that paying the monthly payment on a loan is ok and adequate and feel free to use leftover cash for other things. Sort of like all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 12:30PM

Lots of good points being made here. The responsible use of credit looks quite a bit different depending on which side of the table you’re on.

A collector wanting to buy a coin on credit would do well to be brutally honest with themselves. Shopping addictions are quite real. Unfortunately the collecting gene and responsible spending gene don’t always exist on the same chromosome. I’d guess in most cases a person’s credit score accurately reflects this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file