Home U.S. Coin Forum

New 2019 W Penny coming with Proof Sets ( Special Lable from NGC ) ( PCGS Grades )

WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 15, 2019 12:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just noticed on the mint website the new 2019 proof set is coming with a additional 2019 penny from the West Point mint mark.

New in 2019! Premium Coin: The 2019 proof set is accompanied by a NEW 2019 premium penny in a proof finish struck at West Point Mint with a “W” mint mark. This special coin is packaged separately in clear United States Mint plastic wrap.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that the unlimited mintage makes the premium coin less than premium.

I wonder what the price will be for the sets without the cent?

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or if that will be an option.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume it will just be a freebie for all proof sets, like the 1996W dime was for mint sets that year.

I predict this will help increase proof set sales this year.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still cool IMHO.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

So... will this be the circulating rarity that Mint Director David J. Ryder mentioned last year?

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting,,,,,
    https://youtu.be/krD4hdGvGHM

GrandAm :)
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be worth noting that this announcement is currently for the >>clad<< proof set, no word on the website as to whether this coin will also be included in the 2019 silver proof set, whose release date is not yet announced.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    So... will this be the circulating rarity that Mint Director David J. Ryder mentioned last year?

With the sales of proof and mint sets plummeting every year, it could be.

(But it's not. Proof coins are not circulating coinage. I assume the circulating rarities will be injected into the circulating coinage coming from the mint, not the mint store.)

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WALLE said:
    I just noticed on the mint website the new 2019 proof set is coming with a additional 2019 penny from the West Point mint mark.

New in 2019! Premium Coin: The 2019 proof set is accompanied by a NEW 2019 premium penny in a proof finish struck at West Point Mint with a “W” mint mark. This special coin is packaged separately in clear United States Mint plastic wrap.

Can you provide a link to this announcement?

GrandAm :)

@WALLE said:

Is this the first cent to come out of West Point?

The Mint is playing with copper zinc. One of the kid offerings this year is coming with a cent planchet. Slugs used to be rare, and the Mint is going to include one in a kid's set. It'd be nice if it comes in a proof finish. :D

One can only hope they're playing with the cent because they're going to eliminate it in 2020. (No they're not.)

@WALLE said:

Yes, I'm replying to this post twice.

If they're saying, "New in 2019", does that mean there'll be a different premium coin released every year?

That'd increase sales. Standard proof coinage from W-Mint, in an ascending year set. 2019 for the cent, 2020 for the nickel, 2021 for the dime...

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

Or if that will be an option.

I meant in the secondary market. People are going to only buy the set for the cent. The sets without the cent will be CHEAP

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Will the "W" cent be copper, or plated zinc? Could not get the answer from "Kimberly" at U.S. Mint.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

(But it's not. Proof coins are not circulating coinage. I assume the circulating rarities will be injected into the circulating coinage coming from the mint, not the mint store.)

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

They could throw a handful of BU 2019-W cents into every ballistic bag of 2019 and 2019-D cents sent to the bulk distributors.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited February 16, 2019 1:33PM

@CaptHenway said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

They could throw a handful of BU 2019-W cents into every ballistic bag of 2019 and 2019-D cents sent to the bulk distributors.

Hmmmm.... This makes a lot of cents. (<-- haha, pun...)

So long as they created the dies for the proof, they have the dies for the circulating W-Mint cent. (Or vice versa.)

Well, time to start looking at all my change. :D

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 2:00PM

@CaptHenway said:

This idea is not farfetchted. I believe that WP has been producing cents for years as a satellite mint of Philadelphia. Why not crank out some business strikes with a W mintmark and mix a few in.

I think I will order a few boxes of cents to see if I get new ones.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Here's an idea. Mint a few W Cents out of those 2009 Copper Planchets and let the word out a few months down the line. Or to really stoke the flames .... drop in a few Gold Planchets ( hmmmmmm. 1/10 oz maybe ).

Sit back and laugh at the flock of mad sheep.

PS .... I could care less about zinc W Cents. But GOLD Ones ? Enough to turn any peaceful Coin Sheep into a raging monsta bleep.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they will accidentally create an error or two with putting the wrong punch in the dies???

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may pick up a set... I like to get the odd coins they put out... like the 1995W ASE.... Yep, got one... ;) and the W dime... Soon maybe I can do a full set of W coins.... Would that be cool?? Cheers, RickO

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure would be great if it was copper and not Zink

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the 2018 proof sets are still for sale, currently at just under 500k. The premium coin will likely boost sales in 2019 so expect ~700k or more produced. The concept of a circulating W is far more interesting!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Can you imagine the frenzy if a few "no W" Proof Lincolns get out ?

Please Sir. Could at least 1 of my planned order of 100 Proof Sets contain a " no W" Lincoln ?

edited February 25, 2019 6:21AM

🤡

As if .....

Sorry... But I really haven't ordered a Clad Set in a few years. Don't plan any changes over a silly Penny.

Now throw in a slab of Cherry Bubble Gum. 🙄 Hey, it worked in 1965 when I was enticed into spendiing some of my Candy Money on 5 Cent Packs of Topps Baseball Cards. They had Slabs of Bubble Gum in there.

Wow I really wish I had those Baseball Cards now.

• WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Seen this today on coin update.

news.coinupdate.com/ngc-celebrates-first-2019-w-cent/

A special NGC attribution and label are among the ways coin collectors can recognize this historic U.S. Mint release. Special submission instructions must be followed. See the “Submission Instructions” section of this article.
    The U.S. Mint has announced that a 2019-W Proof cent will be included with all purchases of the 2019 United States Mint Proof Set, which goes on sale March 1. This is the first cent to feature the ‘W’ mint mark of the West Point Mint. NGC is celebrating this historic coin with a special attribution of First “W” Mint Mark Cent, as well as NGC’s West Point Mint Gold Star Label, both of which are provided for no additional fee. (Scroll below to see detailed submission instructions.)
    Lincoln cents have been struck for the past 111 years, typically with no mint mark (if struck in Philadelphia), a “D” mint mark (if struck in Denver), or an “S” mint mark (if struck in San Francisco). In 2017, a “P” mint mark was included on the Philadelphia issues for the first time to celebrate the 225th anniversary of the U.S. Mint.
    Today, the U.S. Mint branch in West Point, New York, is best known for minting commemorative and bullion coins in precious metals including silver, gold, platinum, and palladium. However, before it was elevated to a branch mint, the West Point facility produced Lincoln cents for circulation from 1974 to 1986. These had no mint mark and are indistinguishable from the Philadelphia issues.
    The 2019-W Proof cent is included with orders of the 2019 United States Mint Proof Set, which features Proof examples of the 10 coins produced this year for circulation: A cent, nickel, dime, five America the Beautiful quarters, a half dollar, and dollar, all with the “S” mint mark. There is no mintage limit or household order limit on this set.
    Coins received by NGC within the first 30 days of their release are eligible for NGC’s popular Early Releases and First Releases designations. Learn more about Early Releases and First Releases here. For Early Releases or First Releases cutoff dates, click here.

Submission Instructions:
    Submit the 2019-W cent under the Modern grading tier or higher.
    The default label will be the West Point Mint Gold Star #391 label
    For an additional fee of $5 per coin, enter Abraham Lincoln Label #560 on your submission form to request this label
    For no additional fee, enter Standard Brown Label #377 on your submission form to request this label
    If the Early Releases or First Releases designation is desired (+$10), select Early Releases or First Releases on your submission form. If you would like the Blue Early Releases label, request Blue Early Releases Label #378.
    If you would like the Blue First Releases label, request Blue First Releases Label #379.
    To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved Depository before the Early Releases or First Releases cutoff date.
    Please note: The 2019-W cent does not have to be submitted with the entire 2019 United States Mint Proof Set; however, all coins submitted must be graded.
    Questions? Contact NGC Customer Service at service@NGCcoin.com or 1-800-NGC-COIN (1-800-642-2646).
    NGC’s First Day of Issue designation is available for qualifying bulk submissions only. Contact Scott Heller at 941-360-3990 or SHeller@NGCcoin.com or Miles Standish at Miles@NGCcoin.com or 949-922-0515 for bulk submissions. Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins directly to NGC. Not an NGC Collectors Society member? Paid memberships start at just $25/year. Join today.

edited February 27, 2019 3:24PM

@WALLE Thanks for the submission guidelines. May come in handy.

Edit: The problem is getting three rolls of each to cut costs... ;)

• WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

Thanks for adding the picture, I didn't know how to do it.

@WALLE said:

Packaging for the “premium” cent.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "This special coin is packaged separately in clear United States Mint plastic wrap."

Is this the same "clear United States Mint plastic wrap" use for sandwiches, hard boiled eggs and donuts in the cafeteria vending machines? ;)

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 6:51PM

So this goes on sale TOMORROW RIGHT????? Ohhhhhh Geeeeeez here we go ahead I think I am in for at least 1.
    With a UNLIMITED MINTAGE I can’t see this as being all that special other than this would be the first time in HISTORY with a mint mark right? To bad they did not limit it to 100,000 . I guess the mint wants it’s money.i don’t really collect pennies just have not ventured that way.
    Judging by the response or lack thereof this penny is going to be a flop.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    I assume PCGS will Holder these but I don’t see a coin # yet

They should in the past I would send these in and only holder the specific coins like maybe the penny and the half dollar this time.

@Gluggo said:
    So this goes on sale TOMORROW RIGHT????? Ohhhhhh Geeeeeez

Yes, tomorrow @ Noon EST
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/proof-set-2019-19RG.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

I subscribe to this so no alarm clock needed this time.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not interested.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly a unique engraving ala Cheerio sac?

Many happy BST transactions

So what happens to the value of the 2019 W - Proof Cent when the 2019 W Reverse Proof Cent is released with the 2019 Reverse Proof Paladium Eagle? Mintage limited to 15,000 .

"This is the first of three sets to be released in 2019 that will include a special edition penny as a thank you to our loyal customers."

Any guesses as to what Special Edition Lincoln #3 will be

@FullStrike said:
    "This is the first of three sets to be released in 2019 that will include a special edition penny as a thank you to our loyal customers."

Any guesses as to what Special Edition Lincoln #3 will be

“The 20-coin Uncirculated Mint set, which includes 10 coins each from the Denver and Philadelphia Mints, will have as its premium, as the 21st coin in the set, a 2019-W Lincoln cent with Uncirculated finish.”

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12249603/#Comment_12249603

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll get a couple, need 1 for my Lincoln set.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will definitely get one....maybe two....as I said earlier, the eventual goal being the full W set...next a nickel, then a quarter, then a W Kennedy....Cheers, RickO

Wow, with these 3 new "rare " Cents coming out , all us parking lot recovery hobbyists will have something new to look out for. I suppose the lots near a Post Office might be ground zero for these new treasured rarities ? Or, actually, any Trash Can, anywhere?

Wow, this dessicant looks like a Penny. Flip........ hey yo...... 3 POINTS........ and the crowd roars !🙌

• cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Ohhhh, Comes with a special envelope too? From BEP?

@cruisersk1 Time to charge the battery. :D:)

To slab or not to slab. Reminder for this quarters special.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12252875/#Comment_12252875

Anyone have any Price Data on the 2009 Copper Lincoln issues? I'm far too lazy to look it all up. If a motivated Researcher wouldn't mind, I'm sure your efforts will be appreciated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file