Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Copper 4 The Weekend™ ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2019 6:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Circa 1906 "In Copper We Trust" Douglas, Arizona "Lady Luck Awaits You" 32mm Diameter, Copper.

I've been patiently looking for a high grade "Lady Luck Awaits You" reverse variety for 5 years which even John J. Ford, Jr. was missing from his collection. Always encoutered weakly struck and slightly misaligned as the obverse die was repurposed by L.A. Rubber Stamp Company after the original Douglas "Copper City Of The Southwest" Arizona copper mine town token strikes had been completed.

Douglas in Cochise County was founded in 1901 and incorporated in 1905 and was a smelter town for copper mines. The early 1900’s brought new recognition to this area when Phelps Dodge selected the Douglas area as a suitable site for its copper smelting activity. Bisbee’s copper mining operations were developing quickly and the company needed an area for a reduction works facility. Developers quickly took steps to establish a city, installing electricity and phone lines and other basic needs to meet the needs of a rapidly growing city. The city was thriving and Douglas became a gathering place for the people who worked the copper smelters and who farmed and ranched in the valley. At one time, Douglas was home to more than 13 movie theaters. The most famous and the only building remaining today is the Grand Theater. The Beaux Arts style building was considered one of the most deluxe entertainment venues in the Southwest and played host to vaudeville performers and other entertainment legends in its heyday.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having lived many years in Arizona, I visited Douglas, Bisbee and other mining towns several times. Great history amazing stories in those areas. Nice copper token in remarkable condition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Ricko, did you ever go to Willcox for Rex Allen Days? (my first wife's grandparents lived there). I've hiked up into Cochise Stronghold, been to Fort Huachuca (beautiful spot for an Army base); been to Douglas and Bisbee (cool town). Great token Broadstruck; thanks for posting it and bringing back some nice memories.

• Options

Thanks @ricko and @kaz :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz....No, never did that....Spent time desert hunting and visiting old miners cabins and such...did get into the Superstitions a bit...found a couple of nuggets (six and seven grams)... Arizona is a great state, really enjoyed the eight years I spent there...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to drive past a giant copper mine In Ajo, Arizona on my way to the Mexican border to do southwest desert photography.

Are there tokens from the Ajo copper mines?

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2019 7:50PM

@coinsarefun said:
    How about alloy

That is struck on a brass planchet.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

@coinsarefun said:
    How about alloy

That is struck on a brass planchet.

Yes, very true B)
    Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in proportions which can be varied to achieve varying mechanical and electrical properties. It is a substitutional alloy: atoms of the two constituents may replace each other within the same crystal structure. In contrast, bronze is an alloy of copper and tin.

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

:smile:

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my big lakeland Collectorama purchase from yesterday. It is Low-51, HT-70 Hard Times Token. This is one of the most common varieties. I already had an AU-50, but luster on this piece really got my attention. It is an MS-64, Brown.

The "LLD" on the jack ass on the reverse refers to the honorary degree Harvard awarded to Andrew Jackson. John Quincy Adams, who was an alumnus of the school, was outraged. He didn’t think that a man who could barely write his own name should receive such an honor.

The obverse, which shows Jackson emerging from a strongbox with a bag of money, refers to his hard money policies. Jackson’s political opponents blamed him for all of the economic problems that the country faced in the 1830s.

In one sense they were right. Jackson’s opposition to paper money did decrease the money supply as few bank notes were released into circulation. We now know that significant decreases in the stock of money is a strong economic medicine. Unfortunately what needed to be done was a complete overhaul of the banking system, but that would come until the Civil War.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice token coinsarefun I like that one :)

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Here is my big lakeland Collectorama purchase from yesterday. It is Low-51, HT-70 Hard Times Token. This is one of the most common varieties. I already had an AU-50, but luster on this piece really got my attention. It is an MS-64, Brown.

Nice Bill. Here are my two for comparison. All three have different amounts of detail on the strongbox which I think is due to wear of the die over the course of the minting (?). Or was it for some other reason?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

The "LLD" on the jack ass on the reverse refers to the honorary degree Harvard awarded to Andrew Jackson. John Quincy Adams, who was an alumnus of the school, was outraged. He didn’t think that a man who could barely write his own name should receive such an honor.

The obverse, which shows Jackson emerging from a strongbox with a bag of money, refers to his hard money policies. Jackson’s political opponents blamed him for all of the economic problems that the country faced in the 1830s.

In one sense they were right. Jackson’s opposition to paper money did decrease the money supply as few bank notes were released into circulation. We now know that significant decreases in the stock of money is a strong economic medicine. Unfortunately what needed to be done was a complete overhaul of the banking system, but that would come until the Civil War.

Great upgrade and history @BillJones! The luster and surfaces on your new piece really stand out.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

All three have different amounts of detail on the strongbox which I think is due to wear of the die over the course of the minting (?). Or was it for some other reason?

According to Dr. Robert Schuman who wrote "The True Hard Times Tokens." the pieces will less box detail are the larter die states.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemDude said:
    Part of original 1880 proof set

Me likey!

• Options

@BillJones said:

All three have different amounts of detail on the strongbox which I think is due to wear of the die over the course of the minting (?). Or was it for some other reason?

According to Dr. Robert Schuman who wrote "The True Hard Times Tokens." the pieces will less box detail are the larter die states.

On the 1833 "I Take the Responsibility" the Low-171 / HT-70A (Gilt Copper) and Low-52 / HT-71 (Brass) had been struck before all the regular copper issues. On the copper issues the strong box details run from early to late die stages.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always one of my favorite threads, some fantastic coin candy and some excellent history writeups provided as well.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

On the 1833 "I Take the Responsibility" the Low-171 / HT-70A (Gilt Copper) and Low-52 / HT-71 (Brass) had been struck before all the regular copper issues. On the copper issues the strong box details run from early to late die stages.

Did someone say HT-71? Supports the statement of early die state. Broadie, do you have any idea of how many HT-71's are extant?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 8:15AM
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2019 1:22PM

@spacehayduke said:

@Broadstruck said:

Did someone say HT-71? Supports the statement of early die state. Broadie, do you have any idea of how many HT-71's are extant?

Best, SH

HT-71's just require a little patience to find nice over the HT-70. The HT-70A is the toughest and took me a decade to locate. I've owned 3 of the 4 top pop HT-71's at one point. I've never seen another HT-70A worthy of my duplicate set.

My post from a couple years ago when I finished the set -

Well I'm really happy to have finally found a Gilt Copper variety which completes my "I Take The Responsibility" set.

1833 "I Take the Responsibility" Low-171 / Rulau HT-70A, Rarity-3, Gilt Copper, 29mm Diameter, Plain Edge.

The rarity rating assigned is very underrated as this is a far tougher to locate variety then the Rarity-2 Brass Low-52 / HT-71 and in gilt was missing in many major collections ever formed. Even the finest survivors are missing some gilt on the high points which is also common with other token varieties which have also been silvered 180 years ago. Although Joe Levine has had a low grade AU or two over the years with some gilt remaining this has been the first example on the market which better matches my set since 2008. As even most all examples offered on eBay over the years described as Gilt upon closer inspection has been the Brass variety. I'm now heavily researching to try to plate match it to a previous sale to establish provenance.

Recent research has shown that token HT-70 is probably the first cent-sized political type token which achieved wide circulation and it opened the door for a flood of others. The die was cut by Edward Hulseman in the fall of 1833 and the tokens struck by his button maker employer Robinson Jones & Company in Attleboro, Massachusetts. The tokens of this and later types (HT 69, 71 and 72) refer to Jackson who is shown with sword and purse. The adoption of the sword and purse continued for some time after the Whigs had taken the reins of government. The Albany Argus daily city gazette for October 1, 1842 published "The liberties of the country were alarmingly threatened under Mr. Van Buren's administration by a union of the purse with the sword in the same hands."

Here's the rest of the set which has taken me nearly a decade to complete:

Low-44 / HT-69

Low-51 / HT-70

Low-52 / HT-71 (Brass)

Low-53 / HT-72

Edited To Add:

The photos of the rest are from 2010 and I guess I'll need to re-shoot this whole set as the old images aren't doing some justice.

The Low-44 looks a bit mushy in the old pics so here's a more recent shot...

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had posted this some time ago, but needed to get a better photo - it cost me all of $3 with free shipping:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file