Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Buy the Coin, Not the Holder" - is such an obnoxious cliche

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to vomit every time I read this on our board. It is offered as some kind of brilliant insight or as a truism brought down to readers by Moses. It is now such a hackneyed cliche that it has turned into verbiage that 95% of the board has heard over and over that adds nothing to discussion here. Who doesn't know the concept by now? And, yes there are plastic or sticker collectors who will not be dissuaded just because the bromide is mouthed again and again.

Yes, I got off on the wrong side of the bed today (to use another cliche). :s

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    I want to vomit every time I read this on our board. It is offered as some kind of brilliant insight or as a truism brought down to readers by Moses. It is now such a hackneyed cliche that it has turned into verbiage that 95% of the board has heard over and over that adds nothing to discussion here. Who doesn't know the concept by now? And, yes there are plastic or sticker collectors who will not be dissuaded just because the bromide is mouthed again and again.

I could not agree more

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps we can just start using the anagram of "hotter baloney unhitched"

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dear.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

What gets me is when people simply reply "Pass" when someone is showing us a coin they own.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    I guess I don't understand why something that is essentially great advice rooted in common sense would be so aggravating.

I’m guessing you don’t visit these boards that often to observe the terms repeated use.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I WANT my dollies!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep vomiting, some cliches are important (or would be important if the market wasn't such a wreck).

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

The PCGS registry sets are proof that the majority of coins are purchased for the holder, not the coin. It is a truism that is trumpeted a lot, but the reality is the opposite.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, it is sometimes perfectly okay to buy the holder and not the coin. I do it all the time.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 5:56PM

P.S. @Catbert - I know how you feel though. The old mantras about the importance of a coin being "fresh to the market" or "under graded in an [insert old holder type]" elicit the same emotions in me.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

many collectors are not relastic about their own ability to grade and ability to determine a coin that has been messed with. For those collectors they would be better off buying the holder and not the coin. Let's face it, if most people could grade properly there would not be a need for TPG.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

TPG is indispensable for authenticity. I agree with your statement-not everyone has the ability or desire to grade a coin on their own. I DO think the TPG are necessary and I don't fault anyone for using them (I do so myself.)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 6:27PM

@Gazes said:
    Let's face it, if most people could grade properly there would not be a need for TPG.

I don't know about that. From a marketing perspective (especially for but not limited to registry sets), they are quite useful if you use them wisely to your advantage. The services add liquidity and aid online sales acting as a preliminary screening tool to limit returns and facilitate commerce. This does not mean that stickers and plastic should be used as a substitute for knowledge and due diligence as collectors and dealers frequently do.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 7:01PM

@shorecoll said:
    There are some newbies here...maybe they haven't heard it yet? Lol.

Come on man! Grow some hair, take that "Lol" off the end. :):)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sick of the Patriots too?

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    the cigar :p

@1Mike1 said:

@Paradisefound said:

It IS what It IS

"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is." Bill Clinton :D

"I never had coin-grading relations with that woman"

• Options

There was a time when "raw coins" needed "color photos" or the dealer would pooh-pooh you and those B&W photos of your coin.

Just another excuse for "I ain't got no money to be buying back any coins"

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

I would buy, and have bought coins in holders for one reason. The higher degree of confidence in their authenticity. Grading I can figure out for myself as we all should. Authenticity is tougher and not all have the time or resources to become the expert we probably ought to be.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

:*:*:*:*:o:o:o:o

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the coin and not the holder is very pronounced with Barber half's these days. There's a ton a crap out there in problem free holders these days. :(

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Whoa Catbert:
    You're among friends, don't hold back, let it all out, TELL us how you really feel
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I don't agree with you.

Believe the cliché is a SUPERB reminder, that each and every person should evaluate the coin on it's own merit.

After all, TPG's, truly are....just an "opinion".

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cash out and transfer to the sunny side AKA HI, problem solved,

@Elmhurst said:
    Cash out and transfer to the dark side, problem solved.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file