Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

United States Mint announces new products for young collectors

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

United States Mint announces new products for young collectors
Washington — The United States Mint is pleased to announce a new family of youth products in 2019 — the Mint’s first new youth products in five years.

There will be three new products for kids in 2019, featuring the Mighty Minters — Kendra, Timothy, Sophie, Lina, Alex, Eli and Layla. They are fun, approachable, and wholesome coin collecting ambassadors to children and gift givers intended to pique the interest of kids seven to 12 years of age.

The first product offered in this series is the United States Mint rocketship. This product is expected to go on sale in February 2019, with detailed information to be released later in the month.

Other products in the new youth family line will include:

United States Mint Explore and Discover Coin Set

Look for this set in Spring of 2019. It features Mighty Minters Alex, Eli, Sophie, and Timothy, and contains the following Proof finish 2019-dated coins: One Native American $1 coin, one Kennedy half dollar, and one America the Beautiful Quarters Program coin. The set also contains one dime, one nickel, and one penny, all in Uncirculated finish and capable of being removed. A penny planchet is also included. There are four openings for the remaining 2019 quarters, which kids can fill as they find the quarters in their change. This interactive set comes with an activity booklet with games and links to United States Mint videos.

more info here http://news.coinupdate.com/united-states-mint-announces-new-products-for-young-collectors/

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were presented to participants at the Mint Industry Conference last October.

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I don't see any prices?

I hope it works well.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea and a good effort by the mint to entice young collectors....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to think back when I was a kid. While I did think getting a proof set or something was neat, I definitely thought an old worn indian head cent, for example, was much cooler. My favorite coin I received early on was a beat up half dime. It was over 100 years old and a denomination not made any more, so I was just fascinated by it.

So hopefully this will bring in some new collectors, but at least in my youth experience, mint products geared at kids would not have interested me all that much.

I remember the post office came out with "Stampers" in the mid-90s, some kind of program geared towards kids. I was excited at first as I was exactly the intended audience. But I quickly realized it was kind of dumb, overpriced, and I'd much rather use my very limited funds towards older stamps.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garbage. My son who is probably typical for a 10 year old has ZERO interest in this crap. I appreciate the US Mint trying, but a no go.
    That spaceship crap was also a joke - my son gagged when he saw it.

Now, maybe a Fortnite Coin would have some traction....LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 9:07AM

The spaceship, supposedly aimed at young collectors, had a product limit of 50,000 and no household limit. It’s sold out.

The flippers have them all over eBay at inflated prices. I suppose the TV salesmen have them too.

I wonder how many actually fell into the hands of young collectors at the issuance price of $9.95? What did the Mint think would happen with a product limit and unlimited ordering?

That place is not being run — pardon the terminology — by rocket scientists.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Was hoping to get the rocket ship for my 7 year old.

Why wasn't this released when the other Apollo coins released? I would have tossed one in the cart then.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:
    The spaceship, supposedly aimed at young collectors, had a product limit of 50,000 and no household limit. It’s sold out.

The flippers have them all over eBay at inflated prices. I suppose the TV salesmen have them too.

I wonder how many actually fell into the hands of young collectors at the issuance price of $9.95? What did the Mint think would happen with a product limit and unlimited ordering?

I know at least four young ones (grandchild/nieces/nephew) enjoying their rocketship for $9.95. :)

• Options

I know my whole son's classroom of 22 children aged 9-10 years old (the theoretical target base) that collectively have NO interest in these.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I know my whole son's classroom of 22 children aged 9-10 years old (the theoretical target base) that collectively have NO interest in these.

Interesting, but did you offer one to each? I would venture to guess, had you given one to each, it would be love at first sight. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:

In defense of the ordering limit: House hold limit of 2 was in place for one day and subsequently removed on the second day. It did take about 1 week for a sell out.
    The Mint may not be run by Rocket Scientist, but they sure have some marketing experts. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

They were not interested in the set or the FREE 2005 buffalo nickels that I did give them.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@7Jaguars said:

Interesting, but did you offer one to each? I would venture to guess, had you given one to each, it would be love at first sight. ;)

You'd be surprised. Even at that age, some of these kids would be delighted to receive it, free, but not for the reason you are thinking/hoping....rather, they want to cut out the money and spend it (especially if there are video games nearby and a way they can change it for quarters).

I say that with experience......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

With about 2 weeks until release the Mint needs to get some photos up.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2019 9:41AM

@Smudge said:
    With about 2 weeks until release the Mint needs to get some photos up.

Edit to add: Additional info:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1016302/2019-explore-and-discover-coin-set-19xgb

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

There ya go. Thanks.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see my little Grandbaby will want one of these for sure.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2019 3:50AM

Coin Facts has been updated with the first Kennedy half PLs (Rocketship Variety).

704876: 2019-D MS PL (Rocketship)

MS65 -1
    MS66 - 7
    MS67 - 4

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file