Home U.S. Coin Forum

1952-D Quarter sells for almost 4 grand !

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1952-D WQ is a very tough coin to find with nice color, in my experience, and this coin has what appears to be attractive toning on both sides. But, wow! That is a heck of a price for that coin, again in my opinion.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing.... I know I have some silver Washington quarters... probably a '52 in there somewhere.... However, not likely a 67 and certainly not tarnished (I spend those :D:D;) )....Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

its not for me. its a nice coin & all but $4,000 or so it not justified here. jmo and I hope it serves the new owner well :)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a bit much! :#

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a good example of "two people in the same room"

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw the title I thought it would be the huge "D" variety. That would be a high price for the variety to me. I can't see it at all for the regular 52-D.

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I was expecting a Huge D too

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the fact that it's a superb gem and that it has the NGC star. It also has nice wood grain. A coin like that is very unique and, even though it's not for me, I'm not surprised that the market would dictate that type of price tag.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sticker and it's not even PCGS...

@Walkerfan said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    No sticker and it's not even PCGS...

You mean somebody actually bought the coin based on its own merits? Go figure.... :D

I know. Crazy right?

Actually with a $15k price guide value in MS67+, I can see why this coin fetched what it did. PCGS frequently, in my opinion, will bump up a nicely toned coin to a plus grade.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insane, surely not for me !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 4:22PM

I would not call the color anything special.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said: "I would not call the color anything special."

I would call the color special. I especially like the brownish streaks up the reverse. Very unusual. I'm bothered by the line of discoloration (rub?) up Washington's face and on the hair behind the ear. That is not toning.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm loving it, I have one of the other 67*!

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough coin in grade but a bit too moxie with bidding...I guess heat of the moment.

edited February 12, 2019 5:47PM

@erwindoc said:

See if Ian will cut you a deal and promote it on the main page for no extra cost!

edited February 12, 2019 5:48PM

@Wabbit2313 said:

If it doesn't color bump to 67+, then the coin is a burial. I would hope that the winning bidder stopped by to view the coin before slapping down that kind of money on a common coin like this.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer is the end user

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Sometimes, you don't care what something costs, as you just have to have it.

@Wabbit2313 said:

Then I am guessing you are not a collector of washers, as these are rarely found with color like that. It IS an especially nice example of 52-D. Is it really WORTH all that? Only to a Registry chaser.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

Then I am guessing you are not a collector of washers, as these are rarely found with color like that. It IS an especially nice example of 52-D. Is it really WORTH all that? Only to a Registry chaser.

I’ve seen similar comments about other auction coins which have sold for strong money, the assumption being that registry participants bought them (and/or that auction fever was responsible). However, in many of those cases, the assumptions were incorrect - very sharp dealers (looking for upgrades) were the buyers.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:
    I’ve seen similar comments about other auction coins which have sold for strong money, the assumption being that registry participants bought them (and/or that auction fever was responsible). However, in many of those cases, the assumptions were incorrect - very sharp dealers (looking for upgrades) were the buyers.

Certainly that is often the case. But do you suppose those dealers were looking for an upgrade to place the coin in their personal collections?

NO! They want to flip them to the Registry chasers!!

edited February 12, 2019 6:41PM

oops

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

@MFeld said:

Certainly that is often the case. But do you suppose those dealers were looking for an upgrade to place the coin in their personal collections?

NO! They want to flip them to the Registry chasers!!

In answer to your question - no😉
    But people other than “registry chasers” actually do buy very high grade examples.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@erwindoc said:

Can you grace us with a picture? ;)

@erwindoc Thanks! That's a beauty!

Super flashy in hand too. Looks like lots of marks when it is as big as my screen though!

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel smarter already

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@georgiacop50 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

The coin most certainly made the trip to CAC. Not sure this one has any chance at an upgrade, especially now-a-days.

It sold for approximately $1k at David Lawrence in April of 2018. The photos below are from that auction. (If David Lawrence requests me to remove the images, I will do so). https://www.davidlawrence.com/product/1347202/

Based on the DL images, the coin already looks color bumped. I don't even think it will cross at grade if the coin looks like this in hand.

@washingtonrainbows said:
    I think it is solid 67, won’t go 67+ I don’t think at PCGS. Still a very nice coin. I would buy it at 1-2 k all day long.

Even with the road rash on the cheek?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 10:11PM

I'm still trying to figure out if this is a "the market is strong" or "collectors are bidiots" thread ;)

@Zoins said:
    I'm still trying to figure out if this is a "the market is strong" or "collectors are bidiots" thread ;)

Maybe a little of both?

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

Irrational exuberance? I do have a original '52 mint set ratholed for years that I sure will be taking a close look at though asap!

• Isn't the "black" on the cheek covering up a rather significant gouge?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Sure!

@Walkerfan said:

@erwindoc said:

Can you grace us with a picture? ;)

Way nicer in my opinion!

edited February 13, 2019 9:58AM

I think it is solid 67, won’t go 67+ I don’t think at PCGS. Still a very nice coin. I would buy it at 1-2 k all day long.

I believe a MS-67 can have a few miniscule marks. I cannot ignore the "road rash" or large hits on this piece so IMHO, this coin got a 2 grade bump for its exceptional color and attractiveness.

PS Just saying, if I knew at least two folks wanted a coin for 3K, I'd pay 2K for it all day long also just so I could flip it. B)

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess Coin Collecting is doing better. Now if Bezos, Gates or well known Persons come out and say "Everyone should enjoy Coin Collecting" We would see more of these prices for these type of coins. :)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

@washingtonrainbows said: "Insider2 please send me all your ms 65 Washington qtrs. that are equivalent for $500 each.....in any holder."

Please cut this weasel stuff out. In my experience, folks use this tactic when...
    There are only a few Washington quarters I would spend any money on - 32-D, 32-S, OMM's and a few DD. As for the rest, unfortunately, most below MS are ugly! :)
    Now, let's discuss the coin. <3

@Insider2 said:

I believe a MS-67 can have a few miniscule marks. I cannot ignore the "road rash" or large hits on this piece so IMHO, this coin got a 2 grade bump for its exceptional color and attractiveness.

PS Just saying, if I knew at least two folks wanted a coin for 3K, I'd pay 2K for it all day long also just so I could flip it. B)

And you know the road rash is road rash on the coin by a picture?...

With 100% certainty, YES. Basic Grading 101: The unoriginal surface on the cheek occurred after the coin was struck. Now, a grader needs to weigh how that affects the coins VALUE because that's what commercial graders claim they do. I evaluate the "condition of preservation of coins." I can back-up my opinion and explain it. Nevertheless, I am not qualified at all to place a value on that coin. Someone already did and they BOUGHT IT!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file