Home U.S. Coin Forum

1952-D Quarter sells for almost 4 grand !

2»

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@washingtonrainbows said: "@Insider2 not a weasel tactic I will buy all you can send me."

$500? Of course you would if they are worth almost 3K to someone. LOL. Based on your expertise in the series, I'll pay $502.

@washingtonrainbows continued: "Show me a ICG ms 66 or 67 or 68, 1952-d or 54-d or 53-d that is equal to this 52-d. Dont waste your time there are none....do you work from home and grade by pictures alone?"

LOL, No I don't work at home and I've found that examining coins very closely (even through toning) allows me to know what I see in a coin's magnified image. Without that experience, I would possibly have the same opinion as you MIGHT HAVE - that the coin is 100% stacking rub free with no noticeable detracting marks that would knock it out of the top grade range. It's lucky for the owner that the coin has attractive toning.

BTW, there is a very good reason you cannot find coins as this in our holder...They are WORTH MORE in NGC or PCGS slabs! Duh. In fact, I've been here almost nine years and I cannot ever recall seeing a beautifully toned quarter as this (most have been AT) at ICG. Furthermore, except for Proofs, I cannot ever recall personally grading any Washington quarter 68 or higher at any of the five TPGS I've worked at.

The 52-D is what it is and it is not MY MS-67! I have given reasons why. We disagree.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin. Excellent toning for a '52-D. Definitely not my cup of tea at the price it went for, but I hope the owner is happy with it.

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope the buyer enjoys it. With that price, he’s earned it.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    That's a bit much! :#

That price is not a bit much................It's too darn much!

Do people out there realize how many rolls of this stuff is still extant? Really? This coin price is just plain SILLY.

@Soldi said:

@asheland said:
    That's a bit much! :#

That price is not a bit much................It's too darn much!

Do people out there realize how many rolls of this stuff is still extant? Really? This coin price is just plain SILLY.

Much of the value is due to its COLOR. At least one member here will buy all you have for $500 no matter what TPGS slabbed it. :)

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 67* grade is a joke and NGC should be ashamed. If that was cracked and sent raw, I would be shocked if it went higher than 65 right now. (PCGS) Unless you have submitted the hundreds of show gradings I have in the last year, no need to comment, because you simply do not know.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

People are always assuming rub, when they have not seen the coin in hand.

I cannot tell you how many Walker 'experts' mistake rub on the breast for what is actually toning due to storage.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@washingtonrainbows said:
    @Insider2 not a weasel tactic I will buy all you can send me.

Show me a ICG ms 66 or 67 or 68, 1952-d or 54-d or 53-d that is equal to this 52-d. Dont waste your time there are none....do you work from home and grade by pictures alone?

@Insider2 Skip, same guy asked > @washingtonrainbows said:

Show me a ICG ms 66 or 67 or 68, 1952-d or 54-d or 53-d that is equal to this 52-d. Dont waste your time there are none....do you work from home and grade by pictures alone?

You really going to go toe to toe with a pro ( @Insider2 ) who started in 1972 and has been professionally grading coins longer than most here have been collecting?? Another new member coming on thinking he is some kind of expert. YAWN.

edited February 13, 2019 6:27PM

@Walkerfan said:
    People are always assuming rub, when they have not seen the coin in hand.

I cannot tell you how many Walker 'experts' mistake rub on the breast for what is actually toning due to storage.

There is a huge difference between "Walker Experts" and any other "Ex-Pert" examining a coin and a little old man sitting in a dark room looking at the identical coin using florescent light and a stereo microscope. I assure you there is an easy to tell difference between the FIVE things you'll eventually see on the breast of a Walker. :wink:

PS Two of them are due to the same thing yet look completely different. Oops,I just thought of the SIXTH!

Now, lets turn this into a deeper discussion. Name 6 things you can find on the breast of a WLH.

Never mind, this is highjacking the thread. I'll start a new quiz tomorrow.

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Insider2 Skip, same guy asked > @washingtonrainbows said:

You really going to go toe to toe with a pro ( @Insider2 ) who started in 1972 and has been professionally grading coins longer than most here have been collecting?? Another new member coming on thinking he is some kind of expert. YAWN.

Thanks, but Washingtonrainbow knows more about the value of these quarters than I ever will.

I am a expert in Washington qtrs, I am well aware of his history. Regardless to call that coin a 65 is plain wrong. Just because I am new here does not mean I am new to numismatics. Coin grading 101 can’t grade accurately using a picture. He attacked my opinion first. YAWN

Fair enough. I will venture to say that Skip has graded more Washies than you have looked at. That is not an insult.

@Insider2 said: "Washingtonrainbow knows more about the value of these quarters than I ever will.

@washingtonrainbows said: "Your correct.

Yes, You're correct. :)

@Wabbit2313 said:

I am a expert in Washington qtrs, I am well aware of his history. Regardless to call that coin a 65 is plain wrong. Just because I am new here does not mean I am new to numismatics. Coin grading 101 can’t grade accurately using a picture. He attacked my opinion first. YAWN

Fair enough. I will venture to say that Skip has graded more Washies than you have looked at. That is not an insult.

I hate the darn things! They are not easy to grade consistently in the lower grades of circ.

@washingtonrainbows asked: "Since you stated you would only buy 3 or so examples how would you know how to price them."

I'd ask a professional to do it. They would also get a courtesy discount. :)

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous for a 52-D. But I see too many hits, especially on the cheek, to grade it out at 67. There is also a common die crack on the obverse, not to be mistaken for a scratch.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

@washingtonrainbows said: "ICG grading is different than our host buy 1-2 points."

LOL, that's nuts. Perhaps I misjudged you. Please provide some images.

Never mind. You see, I can post examples of OVER GRADED, UNDER GRADED, and CORRECTLY graded coins in every major TPGS holder and I'll include SEGS in this too.

@washingtonrainbows said: "I don’t care what ICG grades in all honesty. No comparison to PCGS or NGC for that matter.

You're correct again! <3

• The Wonderful World of Color is an outstanding collection. Congrats to the new owner of this gorgeous 52-D!

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have 1 comment. Given the grade this coin was assigned....looking at the pictures...I want to see it in hand before I cast my opinion!

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 7:43PM

Regardless to call that coin a 65 is plain wrong.

I agree. If it looks as bad as the photo, calling it a 65 is just plain optimistic. >:)o:) I hope it presents differently in hand or there is going to be a very disappointed bidder. Regardless congratulations to the consignor and GC!

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 7:49PM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Unless you have submitted the hundreds of show gradings I have in the last year, no need to comment, because you simply do not know.

Speaking of which, is it safe to submit again or is it still a total bloodbath?

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Unless you have submitted the hundreds of show gradings I have in the last year, no need to comment, because you simply do not know.

Speaking of which, is it safe to submit again or is it still a total bloodbath?

I fear it is still very dangerous. JMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file