Home U.S. Coin Forum

Barber 25C Library of Coins - this is what I like to see...

RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real old school fun. Pardon the lousy lighting and iPhone photos:

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what did you do? Buy a high grade collection in a Libray of Coins album?

In those days, most of the coins that collectors pushed into these albums were not in these high grades. More often than not the coins were in Fine and VF. Congratulations on the purchase/find.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were apparently put in there by the owner's dad a while ago ('60s or 70s?). What he missed in quantity, he more than made up for in quality. I'm just not used to seeing little groups like this in albums. I'm looking forward to getting them graded for him.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one big drawback to these albums were the slides. If the coins came in contact with them when the slides were moved, they could mark the coins. I’ve seen a few pieces that have been virtually ruined that way.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Not a single slide mark on these - that was the first thing I worried about when I saw gemmy coins in the album.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet those have some pretty toning! I bet it is washed out by the light. Too bad there's no 01-S like those or is there? <3

No 01-S - they all have a bit more color, although a few are just lightly toned. I wonder whether the album had been kicking around for a while before the coins went in...

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Yummy.

Hey not to hijack the thread but it seems like a s good a place as any to ask -- what do yall think about Coin World increasing the price guide listing for G/VG 1915-S quarters to be pricier than similarly graded 1908-S?

I think it's ridiculous. I used to buy up all the full rim S-mints I could find for the years 1908-1915 and I ended up with a whole roll of 15-S and only 2 1908-S.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that’s something!
    That 14s is a moose, and I love that 97s.....both of those are just super tough coins!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Beautiful group of coins and a very difficult set to complete

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice and definitely higher quality that I was expecting to see when opening this thread.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    They were apparently put in there by the owner's dad a while ago ('60s or 70s?). What he missed in quantity, he more than made up for in quality. I'm just not used to seeing little groups like this in albums. I'm looking forward to getting them graded for him.

I was questioning wether this was my album of Barber Quarters that I showed you a couple years ago til I saw this comment. The 95-S and 94-S are by far my favorites of the group you posted. Great looking original coins.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely group of coins in an LOC.

Would you favor us with a photo showing the entire album, page by page with the coins on display as a group?

Thanks for posting this thread.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the projects Im working on currently, but not that high grade. Chose XF/VF with a couple of F and AU tossed in. Looks good so far!

@SanctionII said:
    Lovely group of coins in an LOC.

Would you favor us with a photo showing the entire album, page by page with the coins on display as a group?

Thanks for posting this thread.

I've actually removed them from the album and flipped them to protect them properly. I have slide mark paranoia...

• EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

You don't see that every day.
    The 95-s is PL the 14-s is very impressive and the 97-s is undervalued in most guides I believe.
    Great stuff there.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• StellaStella Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭

Really neat group! Nice set of Barbers.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - that's something to see raw anymore.

• AblinkyAblinky Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

That's a niffty little group

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

THAT's what I LIKE to SEE too <3 Thank you for sharing.

• AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Very nice!

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool. Love the 95-S.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    No 01-S - they all have a bit more color, although a few are just lightly toned. I wonder whether the album had been kicking around for a while before the coins went in...

That's my thought too as no way there's whitish coins in this since the 1960-70's.

Even if coins had been multi-dipped with stripped dead surfaces they pull some peripheral toning in these albums.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group of old coins.... Nice to have a chance to see these in the album.... Let us know what grades they receive. Cheers, RickO

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

The 14-S looks like a freaking branch mint proof or something!

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow thank you for sharing thats great and gorgeous very pretty coins!!

• This content has been removed.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

SHAZAM!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

really nice pieces

Frank

BHNC #203

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

The perfect response to people who say “But why wasn’t it in plastic by now???” Because some collectors do not need plastic!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome group of quarters. How many were in this album?

Later, Paul.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:

I've actually removed them from the album and flipped them

Remind me never to send you coins for grading, I hope you at least got top dollar :p

@OriginalDan said:

@Regulated said:

I've actually removed them from the album and flipped them

Remind me never to send you coins for grading, I hope you at least got top dollar :p

Very funny.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file