Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have my BU 1909 V.D.B DDO's been cleaned?

cherrypickerrrrrcherrypickerrrrr Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited January 30, 2019 10:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don't think either of them have, but just wanted to double check with you guys....

(2 different coins) (obverse and reverse pic of each)

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES. Cleaned and polished.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 10:28AM

Not to my eyes by the images you posted. Take another image with Lincolns head at 3 o'clock. Additionally, take an image of the coin tilted up at one end. You can put a toothpick under one edge.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell because the color & lighting are off. If that's the true color, then I would say yes - cleaned and retoned.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

You need to get the color and lighting right in order to get a reasonable opinion. Play with the settings in your camera and find a daylight bulb.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

not, based on your pics.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 11:26AM

Hard to say for certain. Try using two spot lamps and aiming them from opposite sides onto the coin. It will help us get a better sense of the luster. Also, shoot the coin from straight on, not at an angle.
    If you have image editing software, try adjusting the white balance of the photo to match in hand appearance. We will be able to help you more :)

PS: poster above recommended daylight bulbs (6500K temperature). Not required but certainly nice if you plan to take more photos.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the background pure white? If not, retake with white or 18% gray background. Color balance for the background; do not change this when you photograph the coin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool to see the ddo's. wtg

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get better pictures

• Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

The 2nd one is cleaned in my opinion, at least dipped. I bought it and returned it on ebay from K...D...C....
    I recognized the seller photos. I assumed the first one was also.
    Still a nice coin for the price, there was just not enough margin left in it for my needs .

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it to me.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression is that the second one is more suspect than the first. Something about the reverse pic looks "off" to me.

But I'll agree that the pictures could be hiding a lot....or creating a lot.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 8:46PM

They look cleaned to me. Here is one that has NOT been cleaned.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    They look cleaned to me. Here is one that has been cleaned.

Bill, I think you omitted the word "not". That looks original to me, with great luster too.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@Edthelorax said:
    The 2nd one is cleaned in my opinion, at least dipped. I bought it and returned it on ebay from K...D...C....
    I recognized the seller photos. I assumed the first one was also.
    Still a nice coin for the price, there was just not enough margin left in it for my needs .

You're very good, observant, and exactly right haha.

Looking at all his BU wheat cents listed/sold, they all look very similar to this. So I'm thinking all his pics just look exactly the same for some reason, or the hundreds of his BU coppers are all cleaned and retoned/polished the same exact way.....which is highly unlikely...especially with his feedback.

Maybe they're not cleaned, and will grade very high? ;) And hopefully not grade UNC. DDO FS-1101 Questionable Color!

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never Knew there are 1909 DDO. It is cool👍

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be the photos but I don't think either of the OP coins are original. The high points are too reflective and the color is too flat. I'm no expert though.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes cleaned & yes cleaned

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 3:26PM

Yes, scrub a dub dub
    ( looks like a brillo pad job ....
    ..... or maybe a little brasso was used )
    unfortunately.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, the coins may be cleaned but they have NOT been scrubbed! No Brillo was used either. I get really tired when folks who should know better post that a coin with a few parallel hairlines is "harshly cleaned!" Not you of course. <3

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may have been dipped.... would like to see them in natural light....the glare/reflection may be hiding things. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

They both look cleaned to me.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I am in the heavily cleaned camp. Too bad since they are DDO's

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its hard to imagine that many dings and that clean in the same sentence, cleaned.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the cleaned camp.
    Better photos would help though.......

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something about the "flatness" make me think altered surfaces/ questionable color, but it may just be the lighting.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

A shine with no luster, I would say cleaned/polished.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

cleaned

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file