Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To dip or not to dip? RESULTS ARE IN!

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2019 9:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey guys! I picked these up today and although the pics are suspect, the Franklins do exhibit FBL and full cart wheels. So, would you suggest sending in clean or dirty or at all? And does the strike look weak to you? What would you grade? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

toning comes with age.....they ain't mak'n those yesteday!

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

That's what I was thinking too, even though they look just dirty to me. I guess it doesn't matter if they grade right.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't do it.
    If you need an outlet for the toned Lincolns, send me a PM.
    :)

• Options

@mannie gray that link is pretty in pink right?

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gives them character.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't do it. If you need an outlet for the toned Franklins let me know! <3 beautiful coins!

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@hchcoin .. Here are a couple close ups of the Denver side, not as nice but still full of character.

• Options

@privatecoin said:
    Don't do it. If you need an outlet for the toned Franklins let me know! <3 beautiful coins!

They'll be graded first, you good with that?

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a chance!

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

The original 50s mint set paper can produce some lovely toners. I would leave them as-is.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

@Stella . Its making more and more sense now yes, as-is but, in some pretty fine plastic as-well. :)

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Stella . Its making more and more sense now yes, as-is but, in some pretty fine plastic as-well. :)

Fair enough. You can always grade the coins you want to pull out, but keep the rest in the set. Some of the Lincolns are quite pretty to my eye.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@privatecoin said:

They'll be graded first, you good with that?

Works for me. Goes along great with some of the mint set toned I've purchased lately.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@Stella said:
    The original 50s mint set paper can produce some lovely toners. I would leave them as-is.

Absolutely agree.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Allthough I don'y find yje toning attractive, I believe one would be playing Russian Roulette dipping these. They would not dip well imo, and together they make an attractive original mint set. A case of little to gain vs. all to lose.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 4:33AM

No, do not dip.

They look good as they are.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

That type of toning can defy a good dipping.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't dip! :)

• Options

Okay, the nays have it. Then is there ever a good time to dip? I'm guessing when a coin is not toned just dirty?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are plenty of instances where dipping a coin works well as for the intended goal, but there are also instances where your best or surest bet is to just walk away from the dip. Dipping coins from 1950s-era original US mint sets is dicey since these coins tend to have sat for decades in their cardboard and the toning can be either quite dark, quite deep or both. Coins with that type of toning do not always dip well and the results, if not done properly and without sufficient luck, can be rather negative. Also, there always seems to be an outlet for originally toned coins from this era, whether raw in cardboard or certified, but dipped coins of this era aren't always so liquid.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@privatecoin ... Ok, I'll get back to you in about a month once they come back graded and you can have them for a fair price. I will also be sending in a few more of the coins that have FB & FS, along with some more Franklins I picked up that are 60, 61, and 62 uncirc. and FBL.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @privatecoin ... Ok, I'll get back to you in about a month once they come back graded and you can have them for a fair price. I will also be sending in a few more of the coins that have FB & FS, along with some more Franklins I picked up that are 60, 61, and 62 uncirc. and FBL.

Sounds great. Thanks!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go on E-Bay and see what a 1957 FBL Franklin graded MS 66 with mint set toning fetches. There's no point in spending more for grading fees than the coin is worth.

Don't dip them. They are more valuable with the originality.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with don't dip, but those little jewels still look quite grungy. Acetone double rinse before submission :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@ColonelJessup said:
    I agree with don't dip, but those little jewels still look quite grungy. Acetone double rinse before submission :)

So, acetone won't won't take off the toning?

• Options

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Go on E-Bay and see what a 1957 FBL Franklin graded MS 66 with mint set toning fetches. There's no point in spending more for grading fees than the coin is worth.

Don't dip them. They are more valuable with the originality.

I'm not to concerned with what it fetches today as I am what the price guide tells me, dreamland or not I'm good with hanging on to them if needed. Besides I can't imagine selling them raw as a 66 w/o knowing for sure their not 67+.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you have to worry about 67+ on those Franklins.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ColonelJessup said:

If you don't know that answer, what are you doing even thinking about trying acid on a coin?? :o:o

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you certain they will go 66FB or higher? That is the only way they are worth sending in, and even that is questionable unless they have a shot at 67.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them just the way they are, no dipping.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Are you certain they will go 66FB or higher? That is the only way they are worth sending in, and even that is questionable unless they have a shot at 67.

No, but if I don't try it I will never know how to grade the next ones. It is what it is. What I do know is I have never seen cart wheels like this before. I'm still in the tuition process and thats okay :)

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ColonelJessup said:

If you don't know that answer, what are you doing even thinking about trying acid on a coin?? :o:o

Good point, and I wasn't until the colonel mentioned it. I'm going to send them in as is. If they come back worth less than the 45.00 for the set and 35.00 for each coin at least I will have some nice looking coins to learn from and enjoy.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

do not dip. keep it original

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't clean coins.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dipping them would be a big mistake. I like them as they are.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dip em, make them pretty again.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Dip em, make them pretty again.

I have some others that are about to get a bath but, not those :)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the original packaging is part of the provenance. IMO.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@TomB said:
    I don't think you have to worry about 67+ on those Franklins.

I don't think so either, if anything Im worried they may come back 64 as the strike looks kinda weak. I sent them off today, you care to guess?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

no FBL on any?

nice grades

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice outcome.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@davewesen said:
    no FBL on any?

nice grades

I don't think so. I thought most of them would hit it.

Thanks

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good stuff @CoinscratchFever!

Thanks for following-up because it really helps us all to see the before and afters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file