Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit Susan B Anthony Dollars

don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2019 3:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey Gang, I mentioned these in the other thread about counterfeit quarters, so here they are.

I'm guessing I came across these 2 coins in the mid-1990's while searching dollar coin rolls I got from 2 separate banks on Staten Island, NY. Both coins appear to be cast copies made of some sort of white metal (they sound funny when you drop 'em). They are both thicker on one side vs the other. I sent one of them in to either ANACS or PCGS a the time and it came back as a fake weighing 8.042 grams.

So.. what do you think? Has anyone run across these as well?

Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 3:42PM

They're great. They even have reeded edges.

Never seen a fake SBA in the wild. In the subsequent years there have been a lot of machines that were/are set up to take $ coins, so I assume the fakes get weeded out pretty quickly.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there chocolate inside both seem to be magician’s coins.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    I seem to recall hearing....(or I mentally made it up?)….that SBA's circulate(d) widely in some countries in South or Central America. So, while (badly) faking $1 coins in the U.S. might seem like folly, it might have been profitable there? And somehow, they made the trek back to the U.S.?

Interesting pieces, anyway.

SBA's don't but Sacagawea dollars do circulate in Ecuador - and Colombian cartels make Sackiefakes for the Ecuadorian market.

As for the SBA dollars I wonder that they were made to use in toll booths? I know they were using SBA dollars as tokens in Chicago years ago - the reason the 1999 dated coins were minted.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting!

I don’t think the SBAs circulated enough for someone to have a good idea of what a real one looked like. Looks good enough to pass!

Also, neither one was slabbed as fake? Did they come back bodybagged?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options

Bodybagged, not slabbed.

Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

See www.smalldollars.com

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very interesting thread, thanks.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see somebody passing those at fast food place.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 11:20AM

I can hardly "pass" a real half dollar or golden dollar. A friend of mine handed a drive-thru cashier a half dollar, said it was a half dollar, and still got change as if it were a dollar. :#

I am not sure I'd want to try to pass an SBA of any kind these days. The teller at the bank had three in his coin tray last week and I bought them to save him the trouble of trying to get rid of them.

I do enjoy using odd money when I can, though. I usually leave it as part of the tip so they can't complain. >:)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I've never seen one before, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    See www.smalldollars.com

Thanks Tom. Here is the exact page.

smalldollars.com/dollar/add014.html

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are great.
    If someone just 'said' they had a couple of counterfeit SBA's, I may not have believed it......

• Options

Same here actually. The weird thing though is how I received them both from two separate banks around the same time. Makes me wonder if someone was unloading a significant amount of them locally.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is amazing that someone or a company to go to the trouble to make these pieces. The real thing does not have that much buying power, and it has never been popular. It’s sort of like the counterfeit nickels that were made without the large mint mark.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed strange.. .if they would not work in the vending machines I am not sure how they could be exchanged in any volume to make it worth while...They do not even look like good fakes.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Cummings Allison in Chicago used to make coin rollers and slot mechanisms for vending years ago. The technology has dramatically improved in the last 20 years but in the 1980's/1990s, coin mechanisms were nowhere near as smart as they are today. It's highly possible they would accept any of those as real. It was very popular around universities during that era to freeze water into round tubes and cut them to use in vending machines which would melt and leave no trace of theft. Slots are mechanical now coins are weighed as well as digital eye scan, with a lot more sophistication.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

odd i missed this the first time around?!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Is there an after-market for counterfieghts of very unvaluable things?

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@bobsr said:
    ...It was very popular around universities during that era to freeze water into round tubes and cut them to use in vending machines which would melt and leave no trace of theft.

Wait...so that was real??

Does anyone remember Val Kilmer doing this in "Real Genius"??

BST references available on request

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file