Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think about this 1807 Bust Half Dollar?

Hi everyone,

1. Do you think this is genuine?
  2. If so, what Overton variety would you attribute to it?

Thanks for your thoughts.
--David

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't comment on your specific questions, but assuming the color in the pics is correct, it looks like there might be some green PVC plasticizer residue on the coin. This stuff is acidic and will eventually ruin the coin. An acetone soak could help if it's from a PVC flip

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will weigh in and say that I think that coin is genuine. This date, as well as many 1806 Draped Bust haves, comes with weak centers and hair detail.

As for the Overton variety, I will leave that to the early half dollar experts. To be honest, the layout of the Overton book gives me a headache. I will say that for the three editions of it that I have owned.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has a nice look.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos seem a little blurry, but nothing screams fake.

This date, as well as many 1806 Draped Bust haves, comes with weak centers and hair detail.
    I have an 1807 with fairly sharp stars, sharp bust drapery detail, and traces of mint luster around the periphery, but the central detail is no more than VG.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks genuine to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

genuine...O-105

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine to me. As for the Overton number, I will leave that to someone who has the reference handy.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks authentic and commerce worn (with the weak center as noted above)...Nice old coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Romankow :

what Overton variety would you attribute to it?

The die marriage is 1807 T-4, the most common for the Draped Bust in 1807.

Al Overton attempted to number half dollars by emission order and was wrong in most cases, because the methods of determining emission order (sequence of striking) had not been fully developed.

Steve Tompkins corrected the emission order for the 1794-1807 half dollars (with help from others) and developed a new numbering system.

The Overton numbers for 1794-1807 are incorrect and obsolete. Buy the book Early United States Half Dollars: Volume i 1794-1807, and use the correct Tompkins numbers.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

yup, nice, genuine, but get rid of that PVC

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

To be honest, the layout of the Overton book gives me a headache. I will say that for the three editions of it that I have owned.

SAME HERE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file