Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AGA (American Grading Association)

Anyone ever heard of this old TPG? Wondering if they were considered conservative in their grading? Legit, etc.?

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their other acronym was more descriptive: "Gaaaag."

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

At my Garage Anytime.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

'A Grade Anywhere' (on the spectrum of grading)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

HAH! Okay, well, thankfully I can return it within 30 days if it is not up to snuff. This was an EBay purchase of a Peace Dollar graded MS65 (with MS64 being around a $1K less.) Paid WAY under the 65 premium but a couple hundred more than 64. If it doesn't match the photos I am safe. (Does look 65 on the images.) Thanks for your... uh... opinions. LOL

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 1:29PM

The one example I used to own in this holder was nothing special (common date coin valued around $50). I would advise to be cautious with the grade (it might be ok but it could just as easily be 1-2 points off or even have a small issue-like being cleaned).

Here is an older thread about them:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/685434/american-grading-association-grading-service

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scvusa said:
    HAH! Okay, well, thankfully I can return it within 30 days if it is not up to snuff. This was an EBay purchase of a Peace Dollar graded MS65 (with MS64 being around a $1K less.) Paid WAY under the 65 premium but a couple hundred more than 64. If it doesn't match the photos I am safe. (Does look 65 on the images.) Thanks for your... uh... opinions. LOL

Welcome! Care to share the seller pics?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Thanks. I came upon that older thread after posting this one. I'll scrutinize it once it's received. Two possible outcomes for this roll of the dice: 1. Return it for refund and lose a few bucks for postage. 2. It's MS65 and I have a windfall.

• Options

I'll post pics of it once received for your esteemed opinions.

• Options

Here are the seller pics.

• Options

Hard to tell until received. I'll post better pics then.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck @scvusa
    Stick aound and

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look bad ,but need a better picture.

• Options

My thoughts as well. I'll post pics as soon as I get it. Thanks for all the welcoming and your input.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you're in for a good surprise.. really!

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

That’s a cool relic. Almost looks like they were trying to be a useful service. The coin certainly has clams to BU at least, judging by the reverse wing luster.
    How fun!
    Good luck.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks promising! I like the vintage holder. Really pulls you into our collecting past.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of the many companies that tried to make it in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Several used this style of holder. It may also be that they were all the same company, just under different management and different names. Their grading was not conservative and many of the coins show the effects of storage in PVC laden holders.

Still ... they are a neat blast from the past.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

Am concerned about the potential PVC too... Again, we'll see

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 1:16PM

@scvusa said:
    Two possible outcomes for this roll of the dice: 1. Return it for refund and lose a few bucks for postage. 2. It's MS65 and I have a windfall.

Only a "windfall" if you get it into a real 65 holder IMO.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

Am concerned about the potential PVC too... Again, we'll see

• Options

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    "Only a 'windfall' if you get it into a real holder IMO."

First thing I will do after confirming (to the best of my ability) that it is a 65. (I will post high res pics for all to opine prior to doing so- Thanks in advance.)

P.S.: Might need some conservation work too if there are any spots from the PVC.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

haven't seen that one yet. (hopefully I never will)

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously the address being in Carson City, NV is a great marketing ploy.

thefinn
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Betcha they no longer exist, they don’t they don’t.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Every coin bought on eBay is a crapshoot. Hope this turns out for you.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be zero chance it makes it into 65. If there was negative zero chance, that would be the correct choice. If you are buying stuff like this for good money, I have many deals for you.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    I know the head grader there...Slippery Pete.

Ray Charles was the finalizer.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    It will be zero chance it makes it into 65. If there was negative zero chance, that would be the correct choice. If you are buying stuff like this for good money, I have many deals for you.

This. The chance of any of these early rogue slabs surviving this long with a real gem coin is minuscule. You have a better chance finding a mint condition split-window Corvette in your buddy's aunt's friend's neighbor's barn. Most of these early attempts at starting a certification company failed without much of a start and rarely did they have any really nice coins, let alone accurately graded coins.

Nonetheless, these are neat holders and a nice call back to a time when 'everyone' was starting a grading company to cash in on the growing success of the TPG market ... and gullibility of naive investors.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scvusa....Welcome aboard....Good luck with your purchase... Let us know what it is like when you receive it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Okay! It arrived and, wow, I am very pleasantly surprised- To the point that I broke it out of its soft plastic and moved it directly to a new flip. Here are the pictures. Would love to read your impressions.
    Thanks so much.

• Options

NOTE: Luster is quite nice and doesn't come through so well in the pics. Also, I don't observe any blotchy areas, despite what the picture shows on the obverse.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Scratches on both obverse and reverse would seem to keep it out of 65 territory and from picture can't tell if rub or soft strike. Will leave it to experts. Good luck.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a slider going by the picture.AU

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file