Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone have a copy of or a link to the Sotheby's Archer Huntington auction catalog?

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Morton & Eden's Auction 61 (6 March 2013) sale link.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

Mind passing that along? Thanks!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sotheby’s sold the entire collection as one lot. Prospective bidders had to view the coins at Sotheby’s offices in Manhattan. There was a thumb drive with lots of big group photos, but nothing very detailed.

As I recall, the lot was won by a consortium of European dealers.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

The collection was sold as one lot in a sealed bid auction. Probably in the vicinity of $26 million, as far as I can tell. There was no catalog, but there was a brochure with pics of some highlights. Qualified bidders - probably in the single digits - were given digital copies of the original photographic archives, in which all of the coins should have been imaged. Bidders were required to keep the images confidential. Could be one of the rarest auction "catalogs" out there. BTW, the winning bidder also received the original photos, which were held in (IIRC) something like a few dozen binders. Another set of the photos is held by the ANS, and is presumably available for viewing by researchers.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

There were many sales of Huntington coins after the collection was sold. Presumably, consigned by the buyer. Vico had a couple of them, featuring Spanish coins. NAC had one or more with ancients. Morton and Eden had a couple of sales, one featuring coins of the New World, another featuring Portugal. NGSA had the Netherlands siege pieces. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. What a great collection!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

There were many sales of Huntington coins after the collection was sold. Presumably, consigned by the buyer. Vico had a couple of them, featuring Spanish coins. NAC had one or more with ancients. Morton and Eden had a couple of sales, one featuring coins of the New World, another featuring Portugal. NGSA had the Netherlands siege pieces. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. What a great collection!

And ANS had it and never did anything with it. What a great loss for them (and hopefully a lesson).

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the thumb drive catalog is a pain to navigate since the collection was apparently imaged during multiple years and used different cataloguing numbers as reference.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really enjoyed reading the history in that catalogue @jgenn. Thanks for posting it.