Home Precious Metals
Options

Reliable Sources

Does anyone have any insight on the more reliable online stores for precious metals? I've purchased from several and found they're variable - Liberty Gold and Silver, Metals.com, apmex, rwmmint.com, etc. Any experiences and insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 10:48AM

ebay or direct purchase?

add dbscoins.com to your list

One thing you want to do before placing any large order on-line is to give them a call to ensure items are in stock and ready to be shipped. There are a few sellers out there who will take your order and make you wait until they become available.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used many but always check MCM on ebay (under advanced search just include: MCM)

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

JM Bullion, APMEX, MCM, Bullion Exchange, Liberty, DBS, Silvertowne, Scottsdale...all reputable on-line dealers. I also like our own Buy, Sell, Trade forum. I avoid private eBay sellers.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

rwmmint.com looks interesting. Do you know if they make a two-way market in any of their ingots?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 11:42AM

@Downtown1974 said:
    JM Bullion, APMEX, MCM, Bullion Exchange, Liberty, DBS, Silvertowne, Scottsdale...all reputable on-line dealers. I also like our own Buy, Sell, Trade forum. I avoid private eBay sellers.

Agreed on all but would add BPM Bay Precious Metals with the caveat that they use UPS exclusively, at least for my orders which is a PIA for me.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like golden eagle coins

https://www.goldeneaglecoin.com/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Scottsdale and Silvertowne...Apmex is good as well. I have not tried the others. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 10:26AM

On eBay: baypreciousmetals, APMEX ( both are US Mint authorized buyers) ... JM bullion, Provident Metals, Silvertowne.
    Wait for a sale from anyone of those dealers or ebay bucks offering, before jumping in. Some have their PM's listed in non PM categories that qualify for "bucks." Also, those that charge sales tax need to be taken into account.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2019 10:59AM

"do they charge state sales tax?" is a factor to consider.

My best purchases are from private ebay sellers who list outside of bullion category and allow me to take advantage of 8-10% savings with ebay bucks. A few of the above mentioned big ebay dealers sometimes offer the same deal.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some good sellers and buyers on bullionstacker.com, but some won't take any responsibility if the USPS loses your shipment. For that reason I prefer to buy from large sellers on eBay who have the insurance ability to cover that kind of loss.

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard good things about SD Bullion

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

wasn't there a master thread with current dealers somewhere?
    I thought I remembered seeing that before

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did I read right on kitco lately that the provident master company or another one was going through hard times here...?

• Options

Thanks for all the insight on dealers. I've made note of all of the recommendations. Does anybody have experience buying from metals.com? I bought some RCM 10 oz Silver Bars and they sent me non-branded "American Flag" 10 oz silver bars. Regarding the question about rwmmint.com and two-way market, so far as I know they don't buy-back. Most of what they offer aren't traded on a large scale; however, I still like having some of the rare metals with industrial and technological demand. I think unless you have large quantities, with ecommerce you can always re-sell if you need to liquidate.

• Options

@christiandg40 said:
    Thanks for all the insight on dealers. I've made note of all of the recommendations. Does anybody have experience buying from metals.com? I bought some RCM 10 oz Silver Bars and they sent me non-branded "American Flag" 10 oz silver bars. Regarding the question about rwmmint.com and two-way market, so far as I know they don't buy-back. Most of what they offer aren't traded on a large scale; however, I still like having some of the rare metals with industrial and technological demand. I think unless you have large quantities, with ecommerce you can always re-sell if you need to liquidate.

FYI...most American Flag bars are produced by Silvertowne...Very common bar.

• Options

@christiandg40 said:
    Thanks for all the insight on dealers. I've made note of all of the recommendations. Does anybody have experience buying from metals.com? I bought some RCM 10 oz Silver Bars and they sent me non-branded "American Flag" 10 oz silver bars.

RCM bars carry a higher premium. Tell them you want to return them or you want a refund on the difference in premium. You did not get what you paid for, they should pay return shipping. If you paid through paypal you have recourse as "item not as described."

The old "bait and switch" routine. I would not make any further purchases from metals.com.

• Options

I just checked their website & they do not have any "American Flag" bars in any size?????

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

dbs has always done me good. jmo