Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bad-to-the-bone old school gold album

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2019 8:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Saw this old-school gold album in a brochure for the auction company in my neighborhood (Doyle on East 87th in Manhattan). On the one hand it’s a mess, descriptions scribbled on flips, different penmanship, sloppy. At the same time, it’s like, here’s a little something I put together, son! Looks like at least 36 gold coins. Auction description says it’s part of a collection from a “prominent New York numismatist” that was assembled in the 1940s through the 1970s.

What’s the most bad-to-the-bone old-school album you’ve come across?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thankfully it's gold as those pages are PVC.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is just way cool! I wonder at the value and just how it would feel to hold the album full of gold.

• Options

@Broadstruck said:
    Thankfully it's gold as those pages are PVC.

Born from molten stars, hopefully they have fought off plastics made by man!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, European gold, interesting assortment, let us know if you find out more. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    That is just way cool! I wonder at the value and just how it would feel to hold the album full of gold.

Probably heavy as heck. Just my franklin collection is a pain to carry around and that’s just silver.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

All those staples. Yikes!!!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, that's the way we used to do it!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a fun collection to run though with a world catalog. B)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Based on the prices on the 2x2s, that was NOT put together between the 1940s and 1970s

Could have been most current values, added by the collector (for heirs) at a later date?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@philographer said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Based on the prices on the 2x2s, that was NOT put together between the 1940s and 1970s

Could have been most current values, added by the collector (for heirs) at a later date?

Could be. Also could be auction catalog hype

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Very cool, European gold, interesting assortment, let us know if you find out more. Peace Roy

...”Assembled in the 1940s through the 1970s, this remarkable collection focuses on European gold and silver rarities spanning the late 18th through early 20th centuries. Among the noteworthy offerings are Austria Franz Joseph 100 Corona Proof of 1908 (est. $10,000-15,000), Bulgaria 4 Ducats of 1914 (est. $2,000-3,000), Germany-Hanover 10 Thaler of 1825 (est. $1,500-2,000), German East Africa 15 Rupees of 1916 (est. $2,000-3,000), Hungary 100 Korona of 1917 (est. $2,000-3,000) and Yugoslavia 4 Ducats of 1931 (est. $1,000-2,000). Also featured are silver issues of a similar period, along with United States $5 gold type set and a multitude of high-grade Morgan dollars.”

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, there was a very prominent and crooked lawyer in Stockton who kept a binder FULL of $20 gold pieces on a little table in his entry hall. :o

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Yep, that's the way we used to do it!

I preferred these.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learned something looking at these in the World catalog. Monaco is an interesting little "country" in France. The 1895A 100 Franc is listed at $750 in Unc. The $850 on the 2x2 for BU might have been a relatively recent asking price.

Liechtenstein is a little "country" of Switzerland. The 1862A Thaler is a 90% silver coin. However there is listed 50,000 proof restrikes (1862A-M) in 90% gold at valued at $375. Hmmm .85 oz AGW for $375 something is not right, might be the 2001 publication date of this book.

I think this would be a fun group of coins to flip through.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... I had that exact folder as a kid! (I just wish i had THOSE coins) Yes, PVC... and the plastic-cellophane 2x2's were not enough to prevent it on silver. ..especially when the folder ended up in a storage unit in Florida and then AZ...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 11:59AM

It’s nice the actual coins make it bad to the bone, and not the album.

I’d rather have killer coins in a raggy flip book than the other way around.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful album !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of childhood.

The album, not the coins :)

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Mexico Balance Scales 20 Pesos of 1872 could be a good one.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I preferred these.

Classic numismatic subtlety. Very scarce indeed!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a thrill it would be to have a chance at such a treasure....That would occupy my entire non-sleep hours for weeks....and I do not sleep a lot....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love an old school album, especially when it is full of gold.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file