Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Widget, classy, or dreck? (post a coin, get an answer)

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Disparaging someone's coins as "widgets" or "dreck" is decidedly un-classy. Especially inappropriate from anyone with substantial monetary resources, but little social awareness.

Fortunately, I am lacking both, so game on!

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Classy, widgets or dreck?

What say you?

None of it is dreck. However, I would only rate the Franklin halves as "classy" if the cameo contrast is really deep which I cannot confirm from the image. The rest are nice coins that I like but I'd still call it "widgets". There are many "widget" coins I like but I just don't buy. Years ago, I decided to prioritize my funds very narrowly and almost never buy anything else.

• Options

@WCC said:

@SanctionII said:

What say you?

None of it is dreck. However, I would only rate the Franklin halves as "classy" if the cameo contrast is really deep which I cannot confirm from the image. The rest are nice coins that I like but I'd still call it "widgets". There are many "widget" coins I like but I just don't buy. Years ago, I decided to prioritize my funds very narrowly and almost never buy anything else.

Are you kidding me? Those are gorgeous proof sets, assembled coin by coin with passion and care. This is the definition of numismatic class(y).

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Disparaging someone's coins as "widgets" or "dreck" is decidedly un-classy. Especially inappropriate from anyone with substantial monetary resources, but little social awareness.

Read the opening post, "I am proposing that people post photos of their own coins (if they have a thick skin)".

Anyone posting something here should be prepared for what the responses are. I have some quite attractive coins, that I'm perfectly willing to agree fall into the widget category, and a variety of coins (normally bought as bullion or part of a multi-coin deal) that I'm perfectly willing to agree are dreck.

I think this is a helpful (and at times amusing) thread.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stand by my comment - and, yes, I read the opening and other posts before adding a thought or two. :)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictured proof sets have been assembled one coin at a time, over about 19 years. Some coins are very widgety, some are very hard to find and relatively valuable. All have frosted devices and mirrored fields. Some are lock DCAMS. Some are CAMS, Some have a CAM appearance but may not receive a designation from a TPG. Some are varieties. A few have some toning. Upgrading continues and slowly the set looks better and better. The cell phone photo of the collection is not very good. At some point the collection will be submitted for grading and True Views.

• Options

@ttown said:
    Hey Bochiman,

Didn't I buy your dreck many moons ago?

Well the babie got adopted by 100 mamas and papas😗 I don't believe the girl friend buying that I found them metal detecting and I took them to Walmat to get these cute little cases😏

The photo sucks, but the coins are nice.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:

@WCC said:

@SanctionII said:

What say you?

Are you kidding me? Those are gorgeous proof sets, assembled coin by coin with passion and care. This is the definition of numismatic class(y).

Appearance of the coin if it is otherwise common doesn't mean much to me. Common is common and that doesn't change from the artificial definitions of scarcity used by US collectors. It is obviously subjective but I give some latitude to deep cameo Franklin halves which I would rate borderline. If I am being inconsistent, then I also classify it as a "widget".

As another point of comparison, I rate most Byzantine Solidus as "widgets". By any sensible standard, it is an extremely common coin which can be bought any day of the week, even in high quality. There are some rare subtypes and I would also exclude a choice MS with a full centered strike and cleaner surfaces because these coins have more distinction but that is it.

I also own a 1974 South Africa short proof set in PCGS CAM and DCAM in grades of 65RD to 68. It is easily one of the best sets in existence; definitely in the top 1%. The mintage is around 10,000 but I still classify it as a "widget" for the same reason; common is common.

If it doesn't make any sense, it's because my standards are much stricter than practically any US collector.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to channel my inner Laura when voting. I'm happy to report that I've got the same granite in my kitchen as @SanctionII and @ryk :)

• Options

@BlindedByEgo said:
    I tried to channel my inner Laura when voting. I'm happy to report that I've got the same granite in my kitchen as @SanctionII and @ryk :)

If all three of us have it, it’s probably the widget of granites. 😉

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:

@RogerB said:

Read the opening post, "I am proposing that people post photos of their own coins (if they have a thick skin)".

Anyone posting something here should be prepared for what the responses are. I have some quite attractive coins, that I'm perfectly willing to agree fall into the widget category, and a variety of coins (normally bought as bullion or part of a multi-coin deal) that I'm perfectly willing to agree are dreck.

This. If you post one of your coins to the thread, it is an invitation to critique it. The easily offended shouldn't post

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our countertop is Classy, in fact Top Class.

Why you ask?

Answer. My wife picked it out. Therefore it has class because so does she.

Regarding my collection of proof sets, most, if not all coins therein are available for purchase in the marketplace, slabbed.

What makes my sets special to me is that except for 3 coins all of them were searched for, found and purchased raw. Most of the individual coins were very hard to find. The hunt for these raw coins has given me a lot of joy and satisfaction. Most were bought for very modest money. Upgrading is fun.

So even though most coins in the sets are widget, they are very nice widgets. Anyone who collects these coins in the same manner will appreciate them the way I do.

• Options

@kiyote said:
    I got the straight from the mint back in 2008

“...straight from the Mint back in 2008...” screams widget, no matter what the photo.

• Options

@kiyote said:
    I got the straight from the mint back in 2008

I really like the design on this one.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious question... If something is a widget at MS62/3/4.... is it still a widget at 67? It's just a really nice widget...

If something is a blast white, "ricko approved" widget, is it still a widget when it gets toned? ...just a colorful widget..

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

@Omegaraptor said:

Let’s get some circ stuff in here. Some of you recognize this one.

Since I feel sorry for ya I'll give you 10 times face and 2 shiny nickels. Just cause I feel sorry for you. Hey don't thank me, that's the way I roll!!😜

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 8:35PM

@lkenefic said:
    Serious question... If something is a widget at MS62/3/4.... is it still a widget at 67? It's just a really nice widget...

If something is a blast white, "ricko approved" widget, is it still a widget when it gets toned? ...just a colorful widget..

I was curious about that as well, I posted my toned '64-D roosevelt (MS-67) near the bottom of page 2. Most people said widget.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

@Kyle said:

@lkenefic said:

I was curious about that as well, I posted my toned '64-D roosevelt (MS-67) near the bottom of page 2. Most people said widget.

Nice coin... I did say "widget" simply because over 1.3B were struck. I suppose that's my main criteria for widget status...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@Kyle said:

@lkenefic said:

I consider it to be a widget because of the huge mintage and large existing supply even in higher mint state grades. For the same reason, I also consider my 1937-D buffalo nickel toner and former 1885-O monster toned Morgan dollars to be widgets although they were/are pieces that I thoroughly enjoyed even as much or more than my less available pieces like a generic proof gold quarter.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:

@SanctionII said:

What say you?

Totally classy, and we have the same granite in our kitchen. ;)

Umm....I think all 3 of us have the same kitchen granite.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ttown said:
    Hey Bochiman,

Well the babie got adopted by 100 mamas and papas😗 I don't believe the girl friend buying that I found them metal detecting and I took them to Walmat to get these cute little cases😏

I honestly can't recall, but if you are interested in MORE dreck, hit me up....I'm sure I can scrape some up.
    Plenty of widgets too, if you want ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection is all schlock with dreckish pretensions.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 9:44PM

@Bochiman said:

@ttown said:
    Hey Bochiman,

I honestly can't recall, but if you are interested in MORE dreck, hit me up....I'm sure I can scrape some up.
    Plenty of widgets too, if you want ;)

Well you took me last time. I had to pay $65 to $92 and that's way over spot🙄 Just wait I'm gonna take ya next time!!!!😄

In addition you threw a ringer on me or it blew up over time, This one here's twice as big or maybe I was having too much fun that night 🍻on the bay😘

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@Kyle said:

@lkenefic said:

I consider it to be a widget because of the huge mintage and large existing supply even in higher mint state grades. For the same reason, I also consider my 1937-D buffalo nickel toner and former 1885-O monster toned Morgan dollars to be widgets although they were/are pieces that I thoroughly enjoyed even as much or more than my less available pieces like a generic proof gold quarter.

Absolutely! I posted my 1944 Washington Quarter from my Type Set. It has nice album toning, but still a widget! mintage is over 104M with many pieces available n high MS

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 9:54PM
  • Options

@david3142 said:
    Let's see if I can hit all 3:

Nailed it. LOL

• Options

@Bochiman said:

@RYK said:

@SanctionII said:

What say you?

Totally classy, and we have the same granite in our kitchen. ;)

Umm....I think all 3 of us have the same kitchen granite.....

That makes four of us. Until Bochi chimed in, I thought it was widget granite. Now, I am leaning toward dreck. ;)

• Options

@SkyMan said:

@RogerB said:

One of the great things about this forum, at least in the old days, is that if you had a coin that was a POS, someone would usually tell you. (Where do you think I learned about "toilet bowl toning"?) If you sanitize the comments and give everyone a participation award for posting objectively disagreeable or substandard coins, they will never learn or progress as collectors. Or they will learn why they have overpaid and try to sell their coins for top dollar, maybe years later.

I am glad that people like @Russ (RIP) would give me the straight dope here and not just some dismissive attaboys.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, when you post a coin, and get PMs offering to buy or at least get put on the list of Interested, you know you have a Nice Coin.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley said:
    Also, when you post a coin, and get PMs offering to buy or at least get put on the list of Interested, you know you have a Nice Coin.

Either that or they are as misguided as you are. ;)

• Options

@JasonGaming said:
    MS65, nice toning but such a common date...

Does the reverse look like that in hand?

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 yep, just a tad bit darker :)

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think it’s dreck. It’s a CC trade dollar, a funny novelty, and a piece of interest to me. I’d be overjoyed to have it in my collection.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file