Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gone - Things that I miss in the hobby that's never coming back, what yours?

13»

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early eBay where there was interesting raw coins every week

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

And ebay was VERY cherrypickable!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    $40 Saints.

When was that? I’ve been readings ads since the early ‘60s, the cheapest I ever saw was $ 48.95.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Teletrade. Yes, I’m serious.

Dave

I agree with you.

• Options
    JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    My eyesight.

Now when I look at a dime... I see a dime. Then I have to get some sort of magnifying device.

I blame my parents, both of who's eyesight became crap as they got older. I blame them for a lot of deficient genes they passed on, among them my hayfever and crap back.

And > @Coinstartled said:

Found a 1966 ad for the place. I was probably last there in 1973 or so to add to an anemic US stamp set I bought from a friend.

Have I ever posted this before? The other necessity of life, food. From the June 13, 1936 edition of The Charlotte Observer... (This will probably only be really meanigful if you're the one that does the grocery shopping. :D )

What a pain it is now! As a kid I remember not liking anything smaller than a dime as I needed a magnifier then!

I have ten bank rolls of BU cents from the 70's that I would like to look through now, but I need some tool to even begin doing that. :)

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@thebigeng said:
    Raw coins that are nice!

Taking this one step further, raw coins that are real.
    Wayne

In the bad old days before third party grading, there was an incredible number of fake raw coins in the marketplace---especially key dates (09SVDB cents, 16D dimes, etc) and gold coins.

Maybe he means going back to before there were counterfeits?

Counterfeits made for circulation have been produced since ancient times. The counterfeiting of coins has been called the second oldest profession.

How long did it take for fake 1909-S VDBs to show up?

I remember seeing fake S mintmarks being added to 1909 cents back when I first started collecting seriously in the early 1960's about 60 years ago.

I remember hearing about them back then and wondering to myself how they even did that? Well just because I hadn't a clue as to how didn't mean others didn't now.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimsokay said:

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@thebigeng said:
    Raw coins that are nice!

Wayne

In the bad old days before third party grading, there was an incredible number of fake raw coins in the marketplace---especially key dates (09SVDB cents, 16D dimes, etc) and gold coins.

Counterfeits made for circulation have been produced since ancient times. The counterfeiting of coins has been called the second oldest profession.

I remember seeing fake S mintmarks being added to 1909 cents back when I first started collecting seriously in the early 1960's about 60 years ago.

I remember hearing about them back then and wondering to myself how they even did that? Well just because I hadn't a clue as to how didn't mean others didn't now.

The counterfeiters would scrape an S mintmark off a common date coin or use a manufactured S and then glue it to the coin. Authenticators would add a drop of acetone to any suspicious looking S mintmark and then push it with their fingernail to see if it would come off.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to the bank every Wednesday, after school, and taking home a bag of coins to look through.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

half eagles being under $400 in ms condition. A few years ago I got an Ms 62 1904 half eagle of $342. Now the cheapest are at least 550 ungraded XF. I will also miss no taxes on eBay. I usto be able to buy gold on eBay with no tax. Now in Massachusetts with a 6.25% tax I had to pay an extra $50 for an new gold half on top of the initial price.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to put my glasses on to look at coins- now I have to take my glasses off to look at coins!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 5:11PM

@Crypto said:
    Early eBay where there was interesting raw coins every week

There's still interesting raw exonumia every week :)

• Options

I miss the 1915-S half eagle I picked up in 1973 for $35. It was a solid XF.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying silver dollars at the bank for $1.

Vplite99
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@Jimsokay said:

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@thebigeng said:
    Raw coins that are nice!

Wayne

The counterfeiters would scrape an S mintmark off a common date coin or use a manufactured S and then glue it to the coin. Authenticators would add a drop of acetone to any suspicious looking S mintmark and then push it with their fingernail to see if it would come off.

That's interesting! I thought maybe a fine metal smith created it. This makes more sense though. Thanks!!

• Options

@vplite99 said:
    Buying silver dollars at the bank for $1.

And by the roll for $20.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 4 $5 Libs I bought raw from Nunemakers back in the Coin World mail order days for $30.00 each, now I have $55.00 each in them since I had them slabbed a few years ago. 1880 and 1881 both AU58, 1885 and 1885-S both AU55.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 6:26PM

Ditto! Hit me like a switch flipped at age 40.

@Floridafacelifter said:
    I used to put my glasses on to look at coins- now I have to take my glasses off to look at coins!

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Finding Barbers, Indian Heads, Walkers, Mercury's, standing liberty, Bens, wheats, in every day change. Getting silver dollars from the family on their return from Vegas. Silver Dollar Jewelry every one wore.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying coins out of gumball machines in little plastic capsules

Mr_Spud

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad getting bags of Morgan silver dollars at face value at the bank to search (1962). XF bust halves for $8-$15.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    My dad getting bags of Morgan silver dollars at face value at the bank to search (1962).

Instead of searching, he should have just bought them all!

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of things I don't miss, but that is a subject for another thread...

Others have mentioned these, but I particularly miss:

• Coin shops
    • Bid boards
    • Big, fat editions of Coin World
    • Early days of eBay for finding scarce varieties
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 12:54AM

@Zoins said:

@rec78 said:
    My dad getting bags of Morgan silver dollars at face value at the bank to search (1962).

Instead of searching, he should have just bought them all!

I wish we could have. A thousand dollars was an awful lot of money in 1962. He borrowed the money from one of his sisters to be able to do it. We picked out all the known goodies at the time and sent the rest back as he needed the money for the next week bag. I have one of the 1889-CC's and a 1893-s in my current set. The toughest date to find was the 1894-P - we only found one in low grade G -perhaps. There were many low grade CC's (VG or lower), he kept them all. VAM was years away from being published, so all we had to go by was the red book and coin world. I am sure we missed many good varieties, perhaps even a 1901 DDR.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

$99.00 1909/8 Saints

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 4:53AM

Probably already been said but actually collecting coins instead of plastic slab revisions and silly stickers. Thanks!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭

Customers under 40

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

Collectors that have passed away.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 5:06AM

@carew4me said:
    Customers under 40

A dealer told me she has lots of those but they are not interested in the classic PCGS coins in her B&M. They like the Spider-Man coins!which she really wanted the US Mint to start making. So make sure you have the right product for youth.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 9:34PM

I didn't read all the posts, which means this has probably already been stated.........

Business strike silver coins for circulation.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carew4me said:
    Customers under 40

If your in the Boston area I am a customer under 40.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    My eyesight.

Now when I look at a dime... I see a dime. Then I have to get some sort of magnifying device.

Found a 1966 ad for the place.

Very interesting ad. Wait, what's this? A SCAN-O-MATIC VIEWER for $12.50? I had to see what this looked like, maybe it's the answer Backroadjunkie was looking for...

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

And > @Coinstartled said:

Found a 1966 ad for the place.

Oh look, a FLASH MAGNIFIER for under $8.00 ...wonder what that looked like...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file