Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I love when they applaud at the fall of the hammer!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just not sure why they do it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

What just sold for a lot of money?

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    I thought it always meant that the seller just made a lot of money !

.. and at least 2 bidders bid way more than most in the room would ever think of bidding.

pics of what you won MrEureka?

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only online is it acceptable to yell ...."YOU-SUCK"

(for those who have never attended an auction)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:
    I've been applauded a couple of times as buyer. I'd much rather be applauded as a seller.

How do you know they weren't applauding the seller ;)

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Ronyahski said:
    I've been applauded a couple of times as buyer. I'd much rather be applauded as a seller.

Touche'

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to know why the audience applauds when a contestant hits the “Double Jeopardy” square!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I want to know why the audience applauds when a contestant hits the “Double Jeopardy” square!

Or Oprah squeezes into size 24 jeans.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL ....... very clever

@Zoins said:

@Ronyahski said:

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Because they turn the "applaud" sign on. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

I thought the applause at the auction was for watching two people duke it out with money (excitement).

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options

@airplanenut said:
    Better than when people applaud a plane landing

I always thought it was silly to applaud a landing until one landing felt like we dropped 10 feet to the runway with a mighty slam to the entire plane. I started applauding after that.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    I always thought it was silly to applaud a landing until one landing felt like we dropped 10 feet to the runway with a mighty >slam to the entire plane.

"A successful landing is anything you can walk away from....A great landing is anything where you can reuse the aircraft"
    Unknown

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't it because the emasculated under bidder gets a Chevrolet Corvette?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

If you have ever flown in the former Soviet Union on Soviet era planes, you learn to applaud a regularly scheduled landing. I've flown on aircrafts such as the Yak-42 with seat belts you had to tie down, metal tray tables that could execute you in a hard landing and the best part - leaky and whistling windows that made you wonder if they could handle another pressurization / depressurization cycle.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mentally applaud myself when I successfully snipe on ebay... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    If you have ever flown in the former Soviet Union on Soviet era planes, you learn to applaud a regularly scheduled landing. I've flown on aircrafts such as the Yak-42 with seat belts you had to tie down, metal tray tables that could execute you in a hard landing and the best part - leaky and whistling windows that made you wonder if they could handle another pressurization / depressurization cycle.

In America we don't fly on planes whose acronym sounds like someone puking.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said that auction attendees often clap after a sale and he is not sure why?

I'm jaded. Perhaps it let's them think in their own mind that they are part of a major sale. Part of a historical event. For them, It's cheap thrills! Sort of like visiting the accident scene of a famous person and leaving a memento. Otherwise, possibly a "suck-up" to the buyer?

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 2:30PM

_Applause! Applause! with a deep British accent "Well done Sir, well done" _

Like a bunch of people who suffered through a ballet because the tickets were free clapping madly on and on.....like seals
    because it's over?

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rittenhouse said:

In America we don't fly on planes whose acronym sounds like someone puking.

Even in Russia they know the phrase - "If it's not a Boeing, I'm not going." The Yak-42 is a three engined upgrade of the Yak-40 the latter had too many "unscheduled descents into the ground"

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a form of entertainment kinda like watching those poor souls being thrown to the lions in the Colosseum. Sorta, kinda.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at a local auction about a year ago where there was a great selection of coins. One lot happen to be an 1864 proof set in a capital holder. The bidding started at $1000 and after about 5 minutes of bidding it finally ended at 10k. Neither the auctioneer or most of the audience had any idea it was going to hammer at such a high price. The applause and gasps seemed to last about 30 seconds.
    The coins graded out PR64's and 5's

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

The only time I ever experienced this was on an Uzbekistan Air flight from Frankfurt to Tashkent. The pilot made a pretty good landing as I recall... I don't know if the other landing weren't so great and this one was applaud-worthy or what!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

I used to wonder about that also, airplanenut-until I was on the Atlanta/Johannesburg flight in the cattle car for 18+ hours. I applauded with the rest of the folks!

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

I think they/we applaud because we now know the auction house just made enough money to bring out the cookies and brownies!

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, when traveling in Latin America, I heard applause when a flight on which I was a passenger had a smooth landing. It was an accolade for the captain. I'd like to hear that more often.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you going to be tuning in to the 43 Bronze Cent auction tomorrow night?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@You made me DIIIIIIIZZZZZYYYYYYYYYY :D

@oih82w8 said:
    Are you going to be tuning in to the 43 Bronze Cent auction tomorrow night?

• Options
    edited January 9, 2019 10:29PM

The applause was for having another day to live for :D

@1Mike1 said:

@airplanenut said:

I always thought it was silly to applaud a landing until one landing felt like we dropped 10 feet to the runway with a mighty slam to the entire plane. I started applauding after that.

• Options

when it happens you know you paid way too much.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

Even in Russia they know the phrase - "If it's not a Boeing, I'm not going." The Yak-42 is a three engined upgrade of the Yak-40 the latter had too many "unscheduled descents into the ground"

The unscheduled descent is really not a problem. It's the sudden stop to which I object.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    The applause was for having another day to live for :D

@1Mike1 said:

@airplanenut said:

I was happy to be alive after that landing! :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file