Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is your oldest coin related book?

davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one today that was published in 1891. It is an ex-library book, is missing pages, has writing in it, and binding is coming apart .. but it is very high on the cool factor.

Comments

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint used to be a much more popular tourist attraction than it is today, and George Evans sold thousands of these guides to Mint visitors. There are well over a hundred "varieties" known of this book.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 6:24PM

I've got a book from the 1860's that seems to be a college textbook on how to build a coin cabinet(collection). Seems to delve into ancients...haven't read it as it is fragile and is hiding somewhere among my piles of stuff! It's several hundred pages!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, that's old. I can't beat that, I have a 1931 The Star, Max Mehl coin catalogue in Texas. Besides the cover art, I included a page with the insane sale prices of Morgan CC dollars and gold coins. Enjoy. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have that same exact volume, copyrighted 1888. Mine is in pretty good shape.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

(I'll just not answer, since nobody will be impressed with my 1963 Redbook)….. :no_mouth:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a Mehl's Numismatic Quarterly (I think that's what it's called) from 1915. There's an ad in it for the Pan Pac pieces.

mirabela
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

that drawn color plate is amazing, just think of the hours spent on that page.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 1806 book on Scottish banks, but I also own an edition of the Gazette of the United States published in 1793 that has an article on David Rittenhouse, the first US mint director.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Introduction to Numismatics

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep I have the same one from 1885 I bought in BST here. Cool stuff. Here's a few quick shots.

Reminds me I never read through it have to finish it soon.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few 'old' books...nothing like some shown here... I have Rose's book on chopmarks... I have not looked at it in a while, so not sure what date it is...and I have the Coin Presevation Handbook, by Charles Frank...1964. The really old books I have are not coin books though. Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a copy of the Evens book and also a book on tokens by Bushnell.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess my Photograde book from the late 1960's don't count much here.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    I guess my Photograde book from the late 1960's don't count much here.

Pete

Another instance when the disagree button is missed. :D I saw one of those and regret not picking it up.

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

Picked up some sweet Franklin's working field service on and offshore with this guide book in the 80s. Must have looked at a bullion coins.😂

My son should have it. May have to look at them to see if I got any FBLs. We just looked for strike back then if I recall correctly

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broadstruck, it's a sickness...I have 2 copies of the American Numismatical Manual (1st edition, 2 different grades) and one of the American Numismatic Manual (that's the 2nd edition). I probably have some older books, but those are right in front of me.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Offhand I'd say my 13th Edition of the Redbook, about 1960 I think, although I have a old "Crowns of the America's" which may be around the same age

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

A leaflet from 1517 that was used to show pictures of various Roman rulers, since the best images from that era were from coins they woodcut the coins.

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I believe my oldest book is from 1863.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some very old redbooks and some English penny books, but my most used is an Overton 3rd Edition First Printing Early Half Dollar Die Variety book. Now I have about 40 or so quality Coin Books of which the Buffalo Nickel books are the most used.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • shortnockshortnock Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Bought this one on Roman Republican coinage, printed in the year MDCCXXXIV, because it was separating from the binding, priced accordingly. Intention was to cut it up and frame for re-sale the many, many beautifully hand cut plates. Once in hand it seemed a travesty to use as a "cutter." Spent twice its cost to have it rebound. Hope someone in the next century will appreciate such a fine book.

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only a 201* red book but I have some Whitman folders from the 1950s and 60s

• TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have a few 'old' books...nothing like some shown here... I have Rose's book on chopmarks... I have not looked at it in a while, so not sure what date it is...and I have the Coin Presevation Handbook, by Charles Frank...1964. The really old books I have are not coin books though. Cheers, RickO

nice! Rose's book is awesome

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shortnock said:
    Bought this one on Roman Republican coinage, printed in the year MDCCXXXIV, because it was separating from the binding, priced accordingly. Intention was to cut it up and frame for re-sale the many, many beautifully hand cut plates. Once in hand it seemed a travesty to use as a "cutter." Spent twice its cost to have it rebound. Hope someone in the next century will appreciate such a fine book.

Looks like a "keeper"!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 4:34PM

My oldest is the 1931 "Numismatic Notes and Monographs, No. 48, The United States Half Dimes, by D.W. Valentine" - The American Numismatic Society.
    I bought it so that I could scan the plates in high resolution; I already had a later reproduction which I use regularly.

Wow... @USMarine6.... That is impressive.... what a great possession. Cheers, RickO

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought it for $10 bucks at an antique store. Thought it was kinda cool.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 6:25PM

Somewhere in storage is a copy of Charles Patin. Imperatorum Romanorum Numismatica. Argent: 1671. I bought this while in college (along with a printed score of Charles Ives Symphony No. 4) when I wanted to dig into ancient Greek and Roman coinage as a hobby. Got overwhelmed (and under financed) very quickly. Figuring out Ives, Bach and Mahler was difficult enough.... :)

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMarine6 said:
    The copyright on this one is 1889. Now all I need is that time machine we are always talking about.

I wish I could trade four any condition capped bust halves for a uncirculated draped bust dollar.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

OLD THREAD BUMP
    But not that old.....I cannot believe I missed this thread back then! So many awesome books, each and everyone/
    @Broadstruck , your in particular led me to this thread. I forgot where I saw it in my searches and I will try to go back and find it but, the statement was made that even though the Dickeson book was very complete there were many mistakes.
    Have you found that statement to be false?

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is my oldest, though it is not that old.

It is a good book. I believe the 1963 edition.

'Coins Through the Ages' by Laurence Brown

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandmother had this little book and I inherited it:

Premium Catalog of Modern Foreign Coins
    Listing the prices paid for the modern coin issues of over 125 foreign countries, states and cities.

Premium Catalog of Modern Foreign Coins was published in 1948 by S. Kellogg Stryker, a prominent stamp dealer, for the use of tourists or returning World War II service men and women who brought back foreign coins as souvenirs.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

I went to the local book store (new books, but an extensive selection of used books) last week to check for old coin books....none found. Often estates donate books to this shop, so I thought perhaps there would be something available...I check periodically. Cheers, RickO

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 9:26AM

I have quite a few volumes on US, Foreign, Medieval, and Ancient in my library, but when I checked, my oldest book is only a 1965 Redbook.

It doesn't seem like much, but my Uncle gave this to me when I was a kid in the early 70's. He's the one responsible for introducing me to coin collecting. He was a draftsman and his name is on the inside cover in precise penmanship. I pulled out some old 2x2s from when I was a kid, and sure enough, there was his printing on a circulated 1955-S and 1949-S cent. I also had 2x2s with the penmanship of a clumsy 9 year old trying to emulate the "correct" way to label the holders. Thanks for bumping this thread. It brought back some nice memories for me

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1909 Max Mehl catalogue.

• PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have three copies of Coins of New Jersey
    1881. Republished in 1965
    Also A copy of The State Coinages of New England

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a 1931 and a 1934 The Star by Max Mehl catalogue. Chocked full of sketches, images, info and prices. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 4:13PM

US Mint Centennial
    1792-1892
    History of the U.S. Mint and Coinage. By Evans

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020 6:10AM

James Ede, "A View of Gold and SIlver Coins of all Nations" (2nd Ed., 1808). The plate below shows an engraving of a '1793' U. S. silver dollar!

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

great stuff

Frank

BHNC #203

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice books here! The oldest I have is "America's Lost Treasure" it's the one I just won! :o

Ken
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    (I'll just not answer, since nobody will be impressed with my 1963 Redbook)….. :no_mouth:

Yeah, I can relate. I thought my 1961 Redbook was early! Lol.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I have an 1886 edition of a coin value guide

It lists the 1877 cent at $0.75 in uncirculated.

I once offered to buy a dealers VG 1877 cent for twice the listed uncirculated price, but he wouldn't take the offer for some reason.

• steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

My dads well worn, 1965 red book with several newspaper clippings from who knows where. Good stuff!

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file