Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Random Friday Fact Day

bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 4, 2019 3:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In honor of Random picture thread for Friday that many of us enjoy I thought we could try a random Friday fact day.
To start us off here is a random fact about Fort Knox. The gold in the depository is in the form of standard U.S. Mint bars of almost pure gold, or coin bars resulting from the melting of gold coins. :|

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 3 categories of gold bars:

1. Coin gold made from melted US coins
    2. Sterling bars made from melted British sovereigns and similar other coins
    3. Fine bars made from refined gold from many sources; usually 0.9995 to 0.999 fine although older bars might be 0.998.

Sterling bars and sovereigns, roosters, Napoleons and other foreign gold coins are mostly at the New York vault, along with earmarked bars, and bars made from mixed deposits.

It is wasteful to further consolidate this material due to losses in melting, refining, and even in simple handling. After Fort Knox Bullion Depository was opened for transfers, the Treasury recovered over 400 T oz. of pure gold from gloves, carts, bags and other handling/packaging materials. They likely lost at least as much during melting at the Mints and NYAO.

:)

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Treasury recovered over 400 T oz. of pure gold from gloves, carts, bags and other handling/packaging materials."

Huh? Please explain...

So non of the Ft Knox gold was mined? Pardon the ignorant!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cacao pod, from which we harvest cacao beans... e.g. the main ingredient of chocolate, has a white membrane that encases the beans. The membrane actually has a citrus taste.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pair of Great horned owls is giving me a free concert tonight.
    Hopefully they will bag some squirrels.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most caned Pumpkin Pie Filling isn't Pumpkin. It's one or more types of squash (butternut, Hubbard, Boston Marrow, and Golden Delicious). These squash varieties can be less stringy and richer in sweetness and color than pumpkin.

• Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This random fact I posted was more as a silly fact. I agree there is some controversy which raises passions on both sides. Checking with epicurious, a well respected food information source, the quibble is over a vague difference between various species in the same family. The FDA doesn't make distinct differences which only clouds the issue. Have fun with this fact at your next family get together where Pumpkin Pie is served. It is sure to result in lively conversation. Well, maybe.
    https://epicurious.com/ingredients/what-is-in-canned-pumpkin-article

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

The total weight of ants in the world equals the total weight of people in the world.

Drunner

• Options

One man survived BOTH atomic bombs. Tsutomu Yamaguchi was sent to Hiroshima on business and got burns from the first blast, then went home to Nagasaki and was in a tunnel being treated for the burns when the second blast hit above him.

Drunner

• Options

There are 2000 active serial killers in the USA right now. (Scientific algorithm based on history and current population.)

Drunner

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of real Christmas trees are spray painted green before being sold. Just look closely at the trunks🙂

• Options

Pro baseball has used women players routinely. One, Jackie Mitchell, at age 17 struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in a regulation game.

Drunner

• Options

"One way for crooks to make money years ago was to put a bunch of gold coins in a bag and shake them up. After the shacking the bag was cut apart and the gold dust was taken from it. The coins could be passed for their full face value. This process was called "sweating.""

Thanks @BillJones for this answer. Begs the question of "shacking the bag". Sounds like something from Austin Powers...or was that Shagging the Bag? ;)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) Hawaiian chain's Ocean Topography <3

• Options

Fascinating geology of Hawaii!! Thanks @Paradisefound !

Don't forget Lōihi Seamount (also known as Lōʻihi) is an active submarine volcano about 35 km (22 mi) off the southeast coast of the island of Hawaii. The top of the seamount is about 975 m (3,000 ft) below sea level. This seamount is on the flank of Mauna Loa, the largest shield volcano on Earth. Mauna Loa is actually the TALLEST MOUNTAIN IN THE WORLD if measured from sea bottom level.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2019 9:30PM

Rod Serling was 5 foot 4 inches tall.

His show, Twilight Zone, was cancelled three times!

• Options
    edited January 6, 2019 9:55AM

Lo'ihi <3

Yes ..... his preview 200,000 yrs from now and ..... We would have been reincarnated thousands times over to see it ;)

@Akbeez said:

Don't forget Lōihi Seamount (also known as Lōʻihi) is an active submarine volcano about 35 km (22 mi) off the southeast coast of the island of Hawaii. The top of the seamount is about 975 m (3,000 ft) below sea level. This seamount is on the flank of Mauna Loa, the largest shield volcano on Earth. Mauna Loa is actually the TALLEST MOUNTAIN IN THE WORLD if measured from sea bottom level.

• Options

WooHoo! Can't wait to hit those virgin beaches that will (hopefully) be parks that we can frolic!! :)

• Options

I have them too B)

@Hydrant said:

@mannie gray said:
    A pair of Great horned owls is giving me a free concert tonight.
    Hopefully they will bag some squirrels.

I've got a pack of coyotes that give me a free concert every morning at 4:30 a.m. Mrs. Hydrant puts out just enough scraps at dusk to keep them around and hungry enough so that they WILL bag some squirrels.....For dessert. I love the sound of those coyotes. Nothing like it. Nothing.

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

The first American Silver Dollar was the 8 Reale. As money was scarce, coins were actually cut into half, fourths and eights The pirate phrase " Pieces Of Eight " were actually a reference to that. An eighth of a Reale was called a BIT , 2 BITS were a quarter Reale which found it's way into our language. 2 bits became slang for a quarter. Thus the phrasing, " 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a dollar.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

This is incorrect. Mauna Kea is taller.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Both tv series, Leave it to Beaver, and Marcus Welby, MD, used the same house on the Universal Studios lot

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess imitation is the best form of flattery as I had a random fact Saturday thread going a few eeeks ago😁

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.

Drunner

• Options

The world record distance for a person thrown from a car in a crash is 118'. The subject survived.

Drunner

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2019 11:53AM

As captured in my photos, Northwestern's Jared McGee set a new Holiday Bowl record this New Year's Eve when he took a Gaziano stripped ball the distance for an 82 yard fumble return.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2019 12:01PM

I Just started hearing a new barn owl every night this month.

We hear coyotes almost nightly. We have five cats that would make a great dinner. Trying to keep them in a night is a chore. One is a night owl and probably fights off the coyotes. We have lost many cats to coyotes.

Raccoons live on our property. Sometimes they get aggressive. That's the time to be loud and chase them. I saw one of my cats chase and tree a raccoon the other day. Super funny.

Smelled a skunk this AM. Harvest is over so it was an animal.

Opossums occasionally and Southern Ca is overrun with Rats.

Flocks of 100 -200 wild parrots fly over the house many, many times during the course of the year.

I believe I have seen 7 species of snakes on the property, none of with was a rattlesnake :'(

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random Fact:

My feet hurt,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Men who tinkle on the seat haven't learned to urineat.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are depths in the ocean that reach 36,000 feet. That is about the cruising altitude of most commercial airliners.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

A wet bird never flies at night!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

That sounds like the password to a speakeasy.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2019 8:26PM

@DRUNNER said:
    The world record distance for a person thrown from a car in a crash is 118'. The subject survived.

Survived yes. But I never was the same after that.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robin Yount was already an ever day major leaguer at the age of 18. He won an MVP at shortstop(1982) and later as a center fielder(1989). He played for 20 years and had over 3000 hits. And somehow when he was first eligible for the baseball Hall of Fame, 112 voters did not vote for him.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

@david3142 said:

@CaptHenway said:

That sounds like the password to a speakeasy.

Actually, it is a line from a Jackie Vernon comedy routine.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

It's raining in Greatneck.

(Geezer sh*t)

• Options

@DRUNNER said:

Drunner

His name was Rick O'Shea.

• Options

Wild fire in South Maui but please don't start the GoFund yet B)

• Options

Maui? Wowie!

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maui? Wowie!

Famous Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition Cover

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Macadamia roasting gone awry?

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

Lo'ihi <3

Yes ..... his preview 200,000 yrs from now and ..... We would have been reincarnated thousands times over to see it ;)

@Akbeez said:

...and then there's little ole Molokini...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file