Home U.S. Coin Forum

a group of "original" bust halves

kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on the email list for Sheridan Downey's upcoming auctions. In his current auction, there is a group of 24 capped bust halves that were apparently held by the same family for generations. I don't know how they were stored, but they all have this "dirty gray look" that I associate with unmolested silver coins (such as undipped Washington quarters). I realize we all have opinions about what "original" means (which is why I have it in quotes in the title), but I think Mr Downey has examined more bust halves than most of us and feels comfortable with this designation. Nearly all of the coins were approved by CAC. I enjoy reading the descriptions in his auctions and always learn something, such as the 3 marks on the neck from the ejection mechanism of the early presses. I had no idea. So visit https://sheridanscoins.com/inc_active-mb.php and have a look. Lots 89-112 are from the group (I am avoiding the word "hoard" after ruminating on the concept in a recent thread).
What are your opinions on "original?"

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was just reading Sheridan's email, haven't looked at the coins yet, but am looking forward to it..

To me, truly original circulated coins from 180-210 years old look as if they have been plucked from circulation and stored untouched ever since.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of those.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the coins graded high AU and Hamlet may have been in the grading room, mumbling "There's the rub!"
    since some of the AU58's honestly look uncirc. Grading these must be tough since vagaries of strike, die wear and planchet quality all have to be considered.

• PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed viewing the coins and especially enjoyed reading his descriptions!
    'Cakey' is an adjective I've never heard used to describe luster...

Original looks old but still unmolested. Been around, but never gone all the way around the block.

AKA Pakasmom

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good looking coins there.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

He knows quite a bit about the series. Can you call him and get lot consultations? A solid AU coin is a good value here. Due to the screw press being used, I would not buy an Unc. in MS 61 or MS 62, and I would make sure I was familiar with the die pairing on a particular coin before considering an MS 63.

Original to me on an AU means an even silver gray tint on the coin's high points, with more luster in the protected areas, like around the stars. A coin, unc. or not, with even charcoal, cobalt, or russet toning on both obverse and reverse rims, and centers looking like those of an Unc. Washington Quarter, is NOT an original Capped Bust Half.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Original' would be an apt description, based on the pictures.... Some nice coins there. Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of those, too!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link. Those are some nice looking Busties.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw those coins, those are attractive original looking coins. Stored in another location, they might have picked up splotchy toning and become ugly originals. Thankfully this wasn't the case here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file