Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Population disparities, PCGS vs. NGC

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the reason for this? I looked up a better date $10 gold coin and PCGS has 2 1/2 times more coins graded at 63 than NGC.

Is this due to PCGS just getting more higher end coins on submissions, or crackouts and crossovers?

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    What's the reason for this? I looked up a better date $10 gold coin and PCGS has 2 1/2 times more coins graded at 63 than NGC.

Is this due to PCGS just getting more higher end coins on submissions, or crackouts and crossovers?

$$$$

• Options

PCGS has been the gold standard for many years so there is more incentive to submit there.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

First and foremost buy the coin not the holder. But the plastic does matter when it comes time to sell

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only buy PCGS.

• Options

I have seen a lot of marginal or somewhat problematic $10 and $20 gold coins; so the higher PCGS populations vs. NGC on some dates could mean that they have been looser.

How would you ascertain why there are substantially more PCGS coins on a given date than NGC?

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

My pop report page happened to be on 1881-o $1 dmpl coins
    in ms63 and above P/N

372/207
    396/129
    17/5

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I can determine from this, is more coins were submitted to PCGS. This may also be crackouts (but no way to know without more information) When a bunch of them are imaged in CoinFacts, you can sometimes see the same coin with many different cert numbers.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above. Shame that crackouts don't have the paper inserts returned.
    The Pops for a great deal of coins leave a lot to be desired.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be useful to determine the PERCENTAGE of coins in 63 vs. all coins graded by the service. It might give you a clue as to whether they are being....generous?....with the grades, or if it's just a matter of more submissions.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2018 9:56PM
    1. I think you are in the minority. My comments were meant at a macro level and not micro level.
    2. That is a super nice 64.
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

There always seems to be a big population just below the large price jumps.
    I suspect resubmissions & the actual number of coins is a lot lower.

I wish they would use True View and a computer program to delete these off the population report.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack-outs and resubmissions have inflated the population report numbers. You can't use the raw numbers to draw any conclusions about who might be strict or lose with their grading because some of the numbers are reporting the same coins multiple times.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Elemint said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@logger7 said:

$$$$

I like the the way gold looks like in both holders though I usually prefer the white "Frame" on NGC slabs which to
    me, accentuates the colors on the coins. I find the opposite with silver coins. I can be picky.

This one was a high end 64 too, a little haze on the holder; one re-submission, too much trouble for more. I would think the common dates would get less insert holder returns throwing off populations.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm trying to collect a complete set of any particular series, I prefer to have them all in the same slabs. (aesthetic value) And I happen to prefer the look of PCGS slabs. If I'm not going after a full set, then another TPGS is okay with me. I do have some NGC graded coins but any other TPGS slabs I buy, I send to PCGS for crossover.

Some years ago I bought a 16d Mercury dime in a ANACS holder. I felt it was a 15 but ANACS had it graded well above that. Anyway, the seller agreed with me and I bought it for 15 money. Later I bought a much better 16d so I decided to sell the 15 coin. I must have shown that coin to 50 dealers over the next couple of years and no one would even make an offer. I even told them I was willing to haggle at 15 bid money. Zero takers. So I sent it into PCGS for crossover. It came back as a 15, as expected. The next show I had dealers fighting over it in the PCGS slab. Clearly the slab made the difference.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 7:21AM

@cameonut2011 said:
    PCGS has been the gold standard for many years so there is more incentive to submit there.

For two areas I focus on, the numbers are interesting. I'm hoping the new leadership can improve the competitiveness here.

Civil War Tokens (Patriotics)

• PCGS: 1,120
    • ATS: 14,453

13x difference

So-Called Dollars

• PCGS: 1,258
    • ATS: 55,508

44x difference

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The population numbers are terribly inaccurate due to crossovers and crack outs. Nothing can be reliably interpreted from the numbers - any statements are opinions/guesses. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I would think the crackouts are less than they were; the objective is to get an upgrade which is hard when both services are tight. If you got an upgrade by cracking out, what is the likelihood you are going to send in the label? Only if convenient, at a show where the services are set up or by mail? The motivation and encouragement to do so are not significant.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Although grading standards are the same they are not always applied the same way. Many coins I collect have similar NGC and PCGS pops but far fewer NGC coins are offered for sale. This makes me think that many more PCGS coins are cracked out and resubmitted. The problem lies with some dealers showing no respect or regard for census accuracy. One major dealer told me in a disparaging way that a population report is meaningless except for more expensive coins (which this dealer only handles). Here is how I see it; after cracking out a few holders myself it is my belief that NGC holders are more likely to be air tight after seeing more than one PCGS holder not sealed at top above the label. So several of my more expensive coins have 3 opinions after cross to NGC.... CAC will resticker if you send an image of original coin and I have the original PCGS label. So actually I buy the coin and the holder.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 10:52AM

Idk how one could draw generalizations from this - anything possible. A dealer with really deep pocket could resubmit coin dozens of times to get upgrade for instance skewing the data.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file