Options

1993 Topps Finest Box Group Rip ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BALROG said:
    Are not the Green cards Refractors ?

Greens are just the All-Star subset, available in both base and refractor ...

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larkin how do you tell if it is a refractor? Bought two packs for the fun of it but this set is out of my wheelhouse. Are they just more reflective than the base cards? Will open mine when I get them.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Larkin how do you tell if it is a refractor? Bought two packs for the fun of it but this set is out of my wheelhouse. Are they just more reflective than the base cards? Will open mine when I get them.

The coating will have a rainbow effect when held up angled to a light source and adjusting angles, base are clear. The greens are really difficult to tell standalone with the rainbow background behind the player. Both of those Larkin scans were done the same day with the same scanner/settings (you can see a similar difference in the Griffeys posted by @magicpapa, with the refractor first in his scan), so I think it's easiest to tell by scanning the greens. This set and 94 Bowman's Best are really tough to tell until you've handled a fair quantity of each.

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    @LarkinCollector - Thanks!! I also did some snooping around PWCC auction archives. Definitely some cool cards rip!!

One other thing to look for prior to submitting, sometimes there is a line/gap through the coating on these that caps the grade at an 8. I'll see if I can get a pic to show it.

• Options

Thanks for the explanation.

• Options

Results of my only pack:

Comparison between regular and refractor:

What a printing line looks like:

Thanks for the fun group break, Balrog! The Refractor is still out there somewhere!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep em coming guys! Here is my 93 Finest refractor. No plans on upgrading as I am completely satisfied with this self subbed beauty.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

cool rip. good luck all

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

Pack 1

• Options

Pack 2 - 1 card short

• Options

Thanks for organizing that was fun. Getting Griffey, Puckett and Winfield not bad. Looks like the refractor is still out there.

• Options

Surprised nobody else is ripping. Now a 1/12 chance at the refractor and likely coming out ahead. Plus likely to be a pack left with the bonus card I was shorted! Let’s see what’s inside.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

@linuxabuser said:
    Got my 2 packs! Thanks again.

I thought the OP sold the packs with the caveat/request that those buying packs had to open them and post results in the thread?

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just opened mine and here are my results.
    Also, how many cards are there supposed to be per pack. Pack 1 had 5 cards and pack 2 had 6 cards, but I am seeing others post 7-8 cards in a pack. Photo below.

• Options

My understanding is 7 but maybe I am wrong. Nice pull of both Killer Bs.

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

"Cards were issued in seven-card foil fin-wrapped packs that carried a suggested retail price of $3.99" T

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

No refractor and nothing of note in my two packs. Each pack had 7 cards.

Robb

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my pack. Knowing very little about modern, I was excited to see the green card peeking out and more excited that it was Nolan Ryan. A quick look at eBay sold items revealed I didn't have much there. Still a fun rip and thanks for doing it! BTW, with all the questions about number of cards per pack, the wrapper says six cards.

Daniel
  • Options

No Refractor yet??

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope no one has pulled the refractor as I have two packs waiting for me tomorrow when I get back in town.😄

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

Even the regular Finest cards are quite beautiful aren't they? BTW, I just got the last three cards I needed to finish my 1996 Finest silver set! And I got 2/3 of the 1997 Finest silver set as well. As Yukon Cornelius would say, SILVER!!!!! I know you guys might have thought I wanted gold...I changed my mind! :smile:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Just received mine today. Will be ripping and posting later tonight.

• Options

Here is what I pulled with my two packs. I don't think I have a refractor but really have no clue. Pretty cool to pull a Bo Jackson even if it is probably not a refractor. Always fun to rip a couple of packs. Thanks Balrog for organizing this.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 6:42PM

@BALROG said:
    Would be sure to check if the name on the front matches the name on back. If not there are two stuck.

Checked all cards and none stuck together. For whatever reason one pack had 5 cards and the other 6. All were in great condition and pristine. Pretty sure if I wrote to Topps their customer service would chuckle at me 😄 Thank you again for putting this together.

KC

• Options

@Estil said:
    Even the regular Finest cards are quite beautiful aren't they? BTW, I just got the last three cards I needed to finish my 1996 Finest silver set! And I got 2/3 of the 1997 Finest silver set as well. As Yukon Cornelius would say, SILVER!!!!! I know you guys might have thought I wanted gold...I changed my mind! :smile:

someone say 1997??
    B)

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Packs arrived safe/sound. Refractor has been pulled: Steinbach. No other notable stars in 2 packs. Centering was good throughout. Will post scans later tonight or over the weekend. Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 6:26PM

Congrats @brad31 on the Griffey!

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Here is my first pack.

You would have been super pumped in 1993 over the Piazza. I think the regular one was something like a $60 card back then. Prime Time might have fetched $3.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

Here are the results. The Steinbach on the left is the refractor. Hard to see in the pics, but if you hold it to an angle, you can definitely see the refractor rainbow.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

@NGS428 said:

Thanks - was cool to pull that card. Congrats on the refractor David - must have been bittersweet to pull - exciting to get one but disappointing that it was not a HOF player.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Mind boggling to me that these packs/cards are 25+ years old. Seems like yesterday buying these packs in local shops when there were shops. Still have some of these somewhere.

• Options

@brad31 said:

@NGS428 said:

Thanks - was cool to pull that card. Congrats on the refractor David - must have been bittersweet to pull - exciting to get one but disappointing that it was not a HOF player.

Absolutely! I uncovered very slowly thinking that would change the card to a Ryan. Haha. 😂

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    Steinbach gradable?
    Angled photo but Centering looks to be in the 9 range

Yes, I’d say it’s a 9 Looking at it in hand.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    What do you look for in terms of "worth grading" on these??

• Just the green cards??
    • only if its super nice centered and the rest are "meh" ??

I've never ripped or collected any of these.

Thanks. Chris.

I awesome break/post sorry I missed it.

As far as non refractors being graded. I have a PSA 10 Luis Gonzalez I bought that is only Pop 5.

Opened one pack of these in my life in 93. $20. I got a bunch of crap and an Alex Cole refractor. Assumed SP.

• Options

@WdorAnozira said:

@UFFDAH said:
    What do you look for in terms of "worth grading" on these??

• Just the green cards??
    • only if its super nice centered and the rest are "meh" ??

I've never ripped or collected any of these.

Thanks. Chris.

I awesome break/post sorry I missed it.

As far as non refractors being graded. I have a PSA 10 Luis Gonzalez I bought that is only Pop 5.

Opened one pack of these in my life in 93. $20. I got a bunch of crap and an Alex Cole refractor. Assumed SP.

Still have it.