Home U.S. Coin Forum

Most unimaginative uninspiring regular issue US coin?

2»

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    As far as the Wyoming quarter goes, it isn't the subject matter, but rather the trivial bureaucratic treatment.

Whether it was somebody in Wyoming or someone at the U.S. Mint, the same lifeless, relief less icon that is stamped on the Wyoming automobile license plates was also placed on the coin. Much better artistic subject matter and treatment was possible.

I think what people may not understand or appreciate is that it is what the people of Wyoming want.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins Gee, the people of Wyoming haven't taken me into their confidence on this matter.

I would think that some representation of the Cheyenne Stampede or of the Grand Tetons or of Yellowstone might have been better than the thingie stamped on the automobile license plates.

But I am glad that the people of Wyoming have expressed their wishes to you personally.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018 11:33AM

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @Zoins Gee, the people of Wyoming haven't taken me into their confidence on this matter.

I would think that some representation of the Cheyenne Stampede or of the Grand Tetons or of Yellowstone might have been better than the thingie stamped on the automobile license plates.

But I am glad that the people of Wyoming have expressed their wishes to you personally.

They didn’t have to express it to me personally. They voted for it.

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @BillJones I believe the outline image of the Cowboy on a Bronco is (or was) much used by the Wyoming state government.

The bucking horse is supposed to represent the "Untamed Spirit" of the State, or some such thing.

This does not make it much of a recommendation for use on the National coinage.

Well...it is the "State" quarter program. However...I do agree with much of the above...quite a lame strike and presentation. Take care...

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@johnny9434 said:
    id say the modern commems as well.

Up until about 2003 I had a complete set of the modern $1 commemoratives. At that time I took the entire set out and set them up in a display case. Looking at them I thought, "What a bunch of boring, uninspired designs." I decided to end the collection then and there and soon sold all of them. I haven't regretted doing so.

I believe that in may cases, the half dollar designs were better than the dollar designs. I seems like the artists had more space, and didn't seem to be able to take advantage of it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it get worse than 3-cent CuNi and 2-cent/5-cent shield designs? well, then there's the Eisenhower dollar, too.

In Nevada we wanted to show our heritage of being the only state that you can 24/7 legally buy a bottle of whiskey, a joint, a hand gun, a prostitute, and go gambling. But...We went with the state seal instead. ;) . Great Thread...

CC

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to decided between modern commems and all Barber denominations.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

SIR! I TAKE UTMOST UMBRAGE AT YOUR SUGGESTION THAT THE MOST CLASSIC DESIGN BEARING RESEMBLANCE TO ANCIENT GREEK COINS IS ANYTHING BUT A PURE NEO-CLASSICAL EXAMPLE OF GREATNESS !!!!!!!
    PLEASE HAVE YOUR MAN CONTACT MY MAN REGARDING AN ISSUE OF HONOR ON THE FIELD AT THE FIRST CONVENIENCE !!!

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf Can we watch?

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@AUandAG said:
    State quarters don't do it for me. Worst of the worst is Wyoming.

bob

Or my native state, Michigan.
    Or the Mississippi statehood quarter. The Governor's office refused to respond to repeated requests to select a design or a theme, as the other states did, so the Mint just slapped the state flower on it.

I didn't know that! The Mint probably no doubt made the quarter more appealing than anything the Governor's Office could have come up with anyway.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@topstuf said:

@Cameonut said:

SIR! I TAKE UTMOST UMBRAGE AT YOUR SUGGESTION THAT THE MOST CLASSIC DESIGN BEARING RESEMBLANCE TO ANCIENT GREEK COINS IS ANYTHING BUT A PURE NEO-CLASSICAL EXAMPLE OF GREATNESS !!!!!!!
    PLEASE HAVE YOUR MAN CONTACT MY MAN REGARDING AN ISSUE OF HONOR ON THE FIELD AT THE FIRST CONVENIENCE !!!

WHEW!!! And they say Numismatics is dying?

Pete

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ben Franklin with his mullet/rat tail with an eagle on the reverse that looks like I drew it.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@Cameonut said:

I agree....I think the Barber coins are some of the best designs in all U.S. Coinage.

@ShadyDave said:
    Ben Franklin with his mullet/rat tail with an eagle on the reverse that looks like I drew it.

I don't know what this says about Chief Engraver John Sinnock.

He made both the Rosy Dime and Franky Half. Two coins mentioned here.

Pete

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

3c silver. Forget about that one? That's the whole "uninspiring" bit in action.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    I think I'd go with the Roosevelt dime.

You?
    :|

I don't know... Susan B. Anthony was pretty ugly. Ike too.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Florida
    Alabama
    Wyoming

Three way tie for most uninspiring.

@messydesk is not too far off with his 3cs.
    Barber Dimes close behind.

And I happen to like the 3 cent nickels.
    That's why it's fun ..we all have different opinions.
    (Except mine are right)
    :)

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@topstuf said:
    I think I'd go with the Roosevelt dime.

You?
    :|

I don't know... Susan B. Anthony was pretty ugly. Ike too.

Actually you could say that about most of the "dead head" coinage.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our U.S. coinage for the last 70 years has been pathetic, vendor coins from a gaming house. I got a token from somewhere the other day and it was a gaming house aluminum coin that resembled a states quarter so much I thought that it was. So sad.I would assume their just aren't any artistic designers left any more, or where and who are they?

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    3c silver. Forget about that one? That's the whole "uninspiring" bit in action.

I like the Silver Three Cent Pieces in high grade. First you have the connection with the new three cent postage stamp. Then there was the matter of using these coins to pay those who deposited old Spanish silver for conversation to U.S. coins. They got back these less desirable coins, which was a way to discourage to discourage the practice.

The Type I trimes are “plain Jane,” but they were unusual with their 75% silver, 25% copper composition. Many of these coins have dark spots or ugly toning in high grade. Finding an attractive one is quite a coup. I know I enjoyed finding the MS-66 that is in my collection.

The Type II trimes often had less than perfect strikes, but the Type III pieces were mostly well made, and I think that they are attractive. Of course you have to be near sighted, like me, or you need a glass to see them. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

For me it would be the SBA dollar, hands down!

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 cent silver.

As for the Roosevelt dime, I don't understand the malice. A nice original well struck FDR dime is very artistic for a small coin. The modern spaghetti hair versions (any denominations) are a bit of a disappointment.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get ready.
    Steady now.

Morgan’s.
    Ugh, flat, one-dimensional looking and too busy.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018 8:14PM

And on the flipside, best looking are the peace dollar, the $10 Indian and most recently the Palladium eagle.

Saving that 3000 post for something profound.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@MilesWaits said:
    Get ready.
    Steady now.

Morgan’s.
    Ugh, flat, one-dimensional looking and too busy.

LOL...I was waiting for the "Morgan" post. Take care...

CC

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SBA certainly... but all the modern coinage in general....Cheers, RickO

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

IKEs

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    All modern coins with SBA the ugliest of ALL time!!

Here is something you might like....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file